hunting woods in state parks.

sigshooter71

Does anyone hunt state parks. the one by me is a historic site. If you hunt the woods around the park I dont see problem. I dont know what the park police would say. Any thoughts on this.

I would not do this without permission from the park ranger. If you get it get him to give you his card with an OK written on the back of it.
Doing this in FL would get you arrested.
Good Luck, phil

Well it's either park property or it's not. There should not be any gray area.

Aren't all NJ state parks off limits to detecting?

Well it's either park property or it's not. There should not be any gray area.

Aren't all NJ state parks off limits to detecting?

other than a few permitted beach areas in selected parks, correct

if the OP is thinking about ringwood state park = off limits

Does anyone hunt state parks. the one by me is a historic site. If you hunt the woods around the park I dont see problem. I dont know what the park police would say. Any thoughts on this.

"around the park" seems to indicate "outside" the park park boundries, right? And you don't say whose land that belongs to. And ... I suppose, you can knock yourself silly finding that out, what their "rules" are, etc... right? And ask higher and higher of enough people and pencil pushers, blah blah blah. But seriously now, aren't you going to be in the middle of nowhere ? (as "woods" seems to suggest) ?

sure.

but how will you know you have inadvertently strayed into protected historic areas where you will have your eqpt. confiscated as well as citations?

In New York State MD'ing is illegal in all NYS State Parks, with exception to obtaining a special permit from the park manager (although, the majority of park managers know nothing about this process I've discovered and just shut it down with a "no" right then and there). The real gray line is with regard to State Forests; the rules usually dictate that you may not "disturb any plant, rock, or fauna", which means "digging" I suppose; yet when I go into State Forests I stay on the trails and detect the work path specifically, and have not been hassled to date.

I called a local State Park (Thatcher Park) since one half of it is wild and there are many old home sites sitting in the woods, I inquired about getting a permit or permission since it is an unused portion of the park; the manager was polite and actually appreciative I took the time to inquire, but politely said I was unable to MD anywhere in the park with exception to the public lake beaches (but only after Labor Day).

Call ahead and find out the actual rules before you go, better to be safe than sorry.

sure.

but how will you know you have inadvertently strayed into protected historic areas where you will have your eqpt. confiscated as well as citations?

That's why God invented maps for. Don't topo maps, park maps, etc... show lines where boundaries are ? And for pete's sake, let's say the horribleness (if there weren't a fence) and your foot strayed over the imaginary line in the earth to be (gasp) on the "park's side". Ok, please tell us of any instances you know of where someone had their "eqpt. confiscated as well as citations" for such an action. :?:

It's not an imaginary line.

There was something in the local paper less than a year ago with regard to this.

As an aside, I for the most part agree with your position of don't ask unnecessarily , keep low profile etc., but I really cannot advocate detecting a known, listed historical site.

As an aside, I for the most part agree with your position of don't ask unnecessarily , keep low profile etc., but I really cannot advocate detecting a known, listed historical site.

It's Tom's world it's actually okay to hunt anywhere. You're only wrong when and if you get caught. :roll:

You are right of course ecoast...you don't want to be detecting listed historical sites.

It's not an imaginary line....

ok, fine. Then if you're skittish (and that's fine) then get a map. And you can even hire a surveyor to plat out the exact spot on the un-fenced earth where the park boundary ends, eh ? And then sure: don't detect over that line if you believe that archies and fellow surveyors-looking-at-that-line are hiding behind trees waiting to pounce. Sure, better safe than sorry, eh ?

ok, fine. Then if you're skittish (and that's fine) then get a map. And you can even hire a surveyor to plat out the exact spot on the un-fenced earth where the park boundary ends, eh ? And then sure: don't detect over that line if you believe that archies and fellow surveyors-looking-at-that-line are hiding behind trees waiting to pounce. Sure, better safe than sorry, eh ?

Once again you're demonstrating that it's not really about right or wrong, legal or illegal, but simply about not getting caught. If nobody is there to see you, you're good to go, eh? Darn good thing your buddy is a moderator here. :roll:

Once again you're demonstrating that it's not really about right or wrong, legal or illegal, but simply about not getting caught. If nobody is there to see you, you're good to go, eh? ....

Stewart, in reviewing what you've quoted, you're right: I was (as you saw) pointing out to the fellow to show that he may be over-reacting. When it comes to the severity of things like boundaries in the absence of fences in the middle of forests. To the point where someone's concerned about the EXACT line, etc.... (as if anyone else is really out there who cares either).

And since, of course, no one is going to go to the extreme of hiring a surveyor to spray-paint a line on the ground in the middle of the forest, I was being silly to make a point. Because so too is no one ELSE going to be going to that trouble either, to try to be able to say that an md'rs tennis shoe crossed over some line.

Was just trying to point out that sometimes I think we can worry ourselves a little too silly. But you're right: If that tennis shoe went over some line out in the middle of the forest, then ........ you got me. Guilty as charged :no:

Once again you're demonstrating that it's not really about right or wrong, legal or illegal, but simply about not getting caught. If nobody is there to see you, you're good to go, eh? Darn good thing your buddy is a moderator here. :roll:

I really can't believe Tom's lesson is something most parents parents would want to learn. The whole philosophy can be applied to other things, beyond city owned land (which still doesn't make it free access). If a child know his parents are going to tell him 'No' much of the time, wouldn't they still want him to at least ask, instead of 'just go for it'. The kid wants to grab a can of spray paint, tag a few cars on the way to the park, maybe throw some rocks at the ducks. Would a parent want him to 'just go for it'? We aren't allowed to post adult themed topics, politics, religion, because children probably read this stuff. Is Tom' message a good thing to teach children?

Tom's message and method can be applied to any piece of land, and pretty sure he's tested that theory many times. Public, private, commercial, county, state, federal, conservation, preservation, historic... The only limiting factor is tolerance and prison time. Always seems like there is about a 20 year gap, between the 'glory' days, and current posts. Never ask, careful not to get caught, you can have everything you want... Great parenting advice, great bragging points.

You're right harvey and Stewart. md'rs should make every precaution to know exact boundaries of forest land. I recant. :(

If anybody should be moderated it's you, since all you ever do is troll Tom's posts.

To me its seems silly. Who cares if someone is digging holes in the woods. People make it seem like your braking into a house.

To me its seems silly. Who cares if someone is digging holes in the woods. People make it seem like your braking into a house.

Someone owns those woods.

Maybe the owner cares if someone is digging holes in the woods they own.

Do you own any woods?

I own woods.

I care if someone digs in my woods.

Back
Top Bottom