Dormant grass/Green grass

Milhaus

Elite Member
Maybe it's just the property owner in me but I feel uncomfortable asking a property owner for permission to hunt anything but green grass. Dormant grass (fall) is much more prone to be damaged by cutting the root structure.

Then I feel just as uncomfortable asking someone for permission to hunt a nice lawn even though I have good recovery skills.

Am I being to paranoid about this? I was driving around today in farm country intending to do some freestyling, and just couldn't bring myself to even ask. I ended up at a low water level lake beach that was scoured so clean it was almost funny. Got a couple of junk rings, a junk earring, some rusty nails, and the usual junk.

I think it's just the opposite. Better to dig while the grass is dormant. If you dig while the grass is green, the plug will turn usually turn brown, at least during dry weather.

It was so nice this weekend to have moisture in the ground, plugs stayed together as they hinged out. Pressed right back into place with hardly a hint.

Yep we are finally getting a bit of rain here, and temps on the weekend are going to be high 50's so I will give it a shot.
It was so nice this weekend to have moisture in the ground, plugs stayed together as they hinged out. Pressed right back into place with hardly a hint.

My experience at least is that if I cut a standard horseshoe the grass stays green. I'm sure this changes between different types of soil.
Thanks for the feedback.

I think it's just the opposite. Better to dig while the grass is dormant. If you dig while the grass is green, the plug will turn usually turn brown, at least during dry weather.

Back
Top Bottom