The easiest way to ask permission...

Jimzilla

Elite Member
IS to be yourself. I have noticed that obnoxious me can sometimes be shy so when asking permission I have learned to be myself. I have not yet received a NO from asking permission. Granted I have only asked about 6-7 people to detect their property but all were a YES. Being a Realtor we are always faced with rejections so here are a few tips that may help you:

1. Be yourself and relax.

2. Find out what you can about the property and who lives there. Look around the yard and see if they are into gardening or whatever so you can relate to them.

3. Be excited...be excited about this hobby and that excitement will be generated towards them. They will feel your passion trust me.

4. Avoid silent "down time" If you are running out of words start talking about history or coins or something. Dont feel timid or a NO will still be a NO

5. HAVE FUN

6. BE YOURSELF

good info I am in the shy boat when it comes to contacting people and have not gotten the guts to do it outside of asking my boss to do all of our company property downtown. thx for the info

Leave your detector in the car or at home when seeking permission...:cool:

Good point since many people may feel intimidated by your machine.

AND yes people do get freaked out that you will destroy their grass but dont focus on digging. Just say you "retrieve" most things 2-4 inches down.

Used my Garrett pp tonight and that thing rocks! Half of what I would have dug before the pp told me if it was at the surface or below. Love it. Sorry for going ot

Jim, great tips! When I find a house that I want to detect, I usually wait till I see the owner outside before I approach them. I don't know why this seems better for me, except that we live on a farm and when I'm in, it means I'm done working and just want to relax, not get company. I usually try to keep some finds in the car to show land owners some of the things that I might find on their property. Old Matchbox or Tootsie cars, a pocket watch, and I have a copper "dog tag" style medal with the Lord's Prayer on it. This sometimes gets them interested in the hobby when they might otherwise not care. I also try to remember to tell them that I'll be removing all trash, and leaving the property cleaner than I found it. Since we're out in the country, most folks are pretty low key, and even when I get turned down, it's usually a nice conversation and a good way to meet new friends. Curt

I have had luck with the same approach as CT01R and Jimzilla - I bring a musket ball from a previus hunt, the short story about how I believe it ended up where I located it, a silver coin and a jewelers loupe, so that they can see the details.

Besides that, I have done some research on their property before I ask, so I tell them the story about what happened on their property, and what I hope to find.

I can see, that when I begin to tell them about the history of their property, then they become very curius, and this is usually a sure sign, that they will say yes.

GL and HH.

/Steffen

Back
Top Bottom