hunting woods in state parks.

Tom you can end all these threads by simply saying it out loud: "I am happy to not know the rules ..."
:D

Stew,
You should really pay more attention to what Tom says instead of misquoting him to get your wanted attention. I believe he says do your research and know the rules and laws as they are written...yes, I'm paraphrasing, and Tom can correct me if I'm wrong. But no, you don't have the right to speak for Tom unless Tom authorizes you to speak for Tom.

I believe john had it right when he said: "...Tom does not condone metal detecting at places that specifically forbid it..."

As for the actual topic of hunting State Parks: I say IF IT'S LEGAL, GO FOR IT AND IF ITS ILLEGAL, DON'T.

Being discreet doesn't, in-and-of-itself, make things illegal but it certainly does become a bit more of a priority when you're hunting places you're not supposed to be doesn't it? As I've said before, being discreet out of a respect for others is one thing. Being discreet because you just really don't want to get caught doing something illegal is quite another.

Tom you can end all these threads by simply saying it out loud: "I am happy to not know the rules and convince myself I can hunt anywhere because I just really want to find stuff no matter what the rules say...and the possible consequences probably aren't going to be that bad if I do get booted so I'll take my chances".

That's it a nutshell isn't it? :yes:

By the way, why don't you post some of your ill-gotten gain for all of us to drool over? :D

You forgot his 14 gold coin thread, which he got in exchange for his soul...

He's also pointed many times that he picks his hunt times, in conjunction to when the 'lookie-lous', or park workers as most of us are more familiar, are off the clock.

Don't ask city hall... Didn't a man just go before the city council in his town on June 9th, and he got everything he wanted, permission for parks, and public land in his city?

Anyway, back to the woods and the state park. Has anyone determined who owns or manages those woods, outside the park boundaries? Just a guess, but it's probably state land, for future expansion, or a buffer, or land to be developed or sold. The park boundary is pretty much set in stone, and can't do much with it. The land outside, would be useful for roads, buildings, lodging, if ever needed, and potentially a source of revenue. If they need more park land, it would be costly to acquire from private owners.

.... Didn't a man just go before the city council in his town on June 9th, and he got everything he wanted, permission for parks, and public land in his city? .....

Yup. And I was amongst those who gave him an "atteboy" along with the others. But insofar as it relates to THIS topic, I'm guessing that to you, a "yes" is proof positive, that ... therefore .... permission (or the over-turning of a "scram") was needed. Right?

So that when someone gets a "yes", either by asking before he starts, or in that person's case, over-turning some griper's "scram", that either way, the conclusion would be "Gee, it's a good thing he asked, because now I can detect."

Conversely, if the answer had been "no" by having asked beforehand, or "no" when appealing a scram, you ALSO would be saying "Gee it's a good thing I asked, lest I could have been arrested."

So either way, whether a "yes" or a "no", both answers, to you, are proof that permission, therefore, was necessary, right?

Because otherwise: The person would have answered something like this: "gee that's a silly question, why are you asking me? You don't need my permission". Right? Only in THAT case we could both agree that permission wasn't necessary, right ?

...I believe john had it right when he said: "...Tom does not condone metal detecting at places that specifically forbid it..."...

thanx for your support mountain digger. Yes, that's what I've said when the conversation/topic is about public parks, schools, beaches, etc.... There have been other flavors of variations of spots to hunt though. That have different factors, caution-levels, etc... But in so far as someone feeling they need to ask at the parks/schools question, your summary is accurate.

Can we dial it back please... we have plenty to do here without babysitting these threads... if you guys continue down this path we will close the threads if we have to...

With all the animosity here I suggest some use the ignore feature...

If these threads continue to be reported they are going to get shut down.

You forgot his 14 gold coin thread, which he got in exchange for his soul...
He's also pointed many times that he picks his hunt times, in conjunction to when the 'lookie-lous', or park workers as most of us are more familiar, are off the clock.
Don't ask city hall... Didn't a man just go before the city council in his town on June 9th, and he got everything he wanted, permission for parks, and public land in his city?

Harv, my interpretation is that he did not 'ask for permission' (your agenda, I think) as you insinuate, but he instead clarified that there were no laws against metal detecting (but hey, I could be wrong). Here is what trash2find said and I quote so you don't again wrongfully misuse it to attack Tom (highlighted in red): "They all agreed that as there were no laws against MD that I was free to MD in city parks."

Will be interesting to see if this results in any new laws being passed [I hope not, but it's now on the radar] but I think trash2find did a great service for our fellow metal detecting enthusiast but why you choose to it for your agenda is beyond me.

BTW, as for your question: "Has anyone determined who owns or manages those woods, outside the park boundaries? Just a guess, but it's probably state land, for future expansion, or a buffer, or land to be developed or sold". Why don't you try researching it yourself? ... you might not have to rely on assumptions or opinions of others (who may or may not be correct) so much!

Mods, what did you expect was gunna happen after letting the same 4 people bicker back and forth on numerous threads for months and not say anything about it til recently?? Now you want them to stop?? But not when they take over someones thread over and over againn and take it to 400+ replies.. You guys do a great job, but You shouldve been closing threads months ago not now

Can we dial it back please... we have plenty to do here without babysitting these threads... if you guys continue down this path we will close the threads if we have to...

With all the animosity here I suggest some use the ignore feature...

If these threads continue to be reported they are going to get shut down.

Yeah, I've had three members testing out that feature for the past week or two. Works okay, except when someone else quotes the nonsense, some directed at me. The only posts I've flagged here, or any forum, have been spam, which I figure best to get removed, before anybody has a chance to click the link (bad idea, for them), but it gives the 'bot' a positive result, which gives us more attention. They really don't know if they succeeded, until someone clicks the link. Doubt I'll flag post, because I disagree, but do believe that permission threads should be limited to how to get, not how to avoid...

Does anyone hunt state parks. the one by me is a historic site. If you hunt the woods around the park I dont see problem. I dont know what the park police would say. Any thoughts on this.

To me its seems silly. Who cares if someone is digging holes in the woods. People make it seem like your braking into a house.

State parks in Missouri have a permit system. I have a permit but have not hunted them. A Historic site would probably be off limits. The woods around the park may also be a Historic site if the park is. You should be able to pull up the information for your sites on the computer. National Historic sites should all be covered under one section but a State site would be specific to your state. Look up the information and don't take a chance on Historic sites or state parks.:grin:

If you are interested in someone helping you find out if the woods are a Historic site or if they may be an area you can hunt someone on here will probably be willing to help you out.
:grin:

Yeah, I've had three members testing out that feature for the past week or two. Works okay, except when someone else quotes the nonsense, some directed at me. The only posts I've flagged here, or any forum, have been spam, which I figure best to get removed, before anybody has a chance to click the link (bad idea, for them), but it gives the 'bot' a positive result, which gives us more attention. They really don't know if they succeeded, until someone clicks the link. Doubt I'll flag post, because I disagree, but do believe that permission threads should be limited to how to get, not how to avoid...

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on the forum...

Everyone knows where everyone stands now in these threads... let it go... its like a broken record these threads... all you guys are doing is changing the words around... go find some gold or silver :lol:

shouldn't have started this thread

I guess I shouldnt have started that thread. I was just wondering about outside of state parks on state land. Just like if someone gave permission to hunt there property and you went off there property unknowing. I don't want to go on someone's private property. People hunt animals on state land that's what I was talking about. I think this got blown out of proportion

I guess I shouldnt have started that thread. I was just wondering about outside of state parks on state land. Just like if someone gave permission to hunt there property and you went off there property unknowing. I don't want to go on someone's private property. People hunt animals on state land that's what I was talking about. I think this got blown out of proportion

Usually doesn't happen . There's a first time for everything like they say. :grin: I think you found out some good information though. You were talking about digging holes in the woods and now you say you were talking about hunting animals but I can see where it's easy to lose track.:grin: It did get blown out of proportion.

I tried to help you out though by suggesting some of the posters visit my car show thread. Have you been there? Gotta see the 64 vette and 64 Lincoln.:grin: When I was a newbie like you I noticed some of these people seem to get a little out of hand. Just don't pay much attention to them when they act like that. Everybody's not going to be like me and you :lol:

My point was people hunt animals hike and camp on state land. So why can't I metal detect. I'm sure some people don't like when they see people metal detect in parks. So to them it's wrong. But some of these guys on this forum going nuts about hunting in the woods.

My point was people hunt animals hike and camp on state land. So why can't I metal detect. I'm sure some people don't like when they see people metal detect in parks. So to them it's wrong. But some of these guys on this forum going nuts about hunting in the woods.

I understand your point. The reason is that if it is Historical land they don't want people metal detecting and removing items they feel are important to the site. I am not saying whether or not I agree with that but that is the reason for the law. Check the records and be sure that it is off limits to metal detecting.

To your point about some of the guys on the forum going nuts about hunting in the woods I think you missed the point. They are at odds on whether a person should hint at or propose breaking the law or not.

I don't think anybody is against hunting in the woods if they think it is legal to do so. To your point about people seeing people metal detecting in the park and thinking it is wrong. Some people think it is fine if it is legal and some people think it should not be done even if it is. What you need to do in these circumstances is find out if an area is legal to hunt. Then decide if you think you should hunt it and how and when you should hunt that area if you decide to.

Not everybody on the forum is going to stay on point and address the issues like me.:p Some posters are going to use whatever opening they have to get their point across.:p We just have to put up with them. :p

Back
Top Bottom