Research and Maps are great but there's nothing like those two feet.

tinsmith

Elite Member
Hi, I'm allways searching my area on this net with maps, especially satelite, stories and whatever. In my opinion there is nothing like driving around the countryside. Actually don't overlook the city and public land and places, but get out and start looking around for those small sites that we usually overlook. A strip of woods no wider than 25 ft or more maybe an area that had a friut or vegatable stand 75 yrs ago. Think for a minute about such places. You may find a small site that no one has spanked with coil at all. That friendly guy in the hardware store may not care if you detect the undeveloped areas around the store at all. Be sure to ask permision of coarse at a business. Many schools and parks though you allready can walk around. A lot of property overgrown with large trees may be part of the land that a building and parking area sits on. Just a couple weeks ago I walked away from a busy with spring baseball park and into the undeveloped woods that is public and part of the huge property. There I found a small path and an area of very old field stone dividing walls diminished by time but clearly visible. I dug a colonial, or at least 18 century old flat button. I felt Id hit "Blackbeards Treasure". Couldn't be happier.
You don't need to find old stone walls or even cellar holes. How do we know what was there 150 yrs ago? Not every shack/outbuilding/ stand or booth at an old church picnic or anywhere had a cellar or stone foundation. A lot of my realatives yrs ago in the 60's were using small groves for a shady picnic spot at the edge of their property and were doing so for generations. Today you'd never spot it. I know I recently went to the very old house where my grandparents lived. I remembered the grove and swimming pond behind the house. Not even a trace there now. Trees, woods extend to a niehborhood of 20 something yr old houses. No trace there was ever water there. One mile up the road I found the creek that fed the old swimming hole of my family's. Adverted off to what is now a wetland area and that wetland wasn't there when I was a boy. That's a span of 40- 50 yrs. Imagine those treed areas around the school or park, library or whatever public place your already allowed to walk around?
Yep lately I'm thinking " Out of the box". I'm finding overlooked and possible productive sites and I don't need to ask anyone if I can hunt it. I warn though you want to know that the adjecent woods are part of the property. Its really obvious in my area and many times in New England here those old property dividers of field stone are still there and in remarkably good shape. Try it, walk the edges of those hamered parks. Who knows what was clear and where the groves were 100 yrs ago? Its not allways on maps.

Well stated and very true. I try thinking "outside the box" and try to get away from grass covered flat terrain whenever possible. GL and HH everyone. Matt

Thanks Matt,
Yeah finding these small sites are a lot of fun. And I'm finding most mder's have been spankin the coins outa the parks around me. Another time, and my first silver, I walked out of a big old park and again followed a hiking trail. There on a 4 ft bank of old tight green moss and rock I imagined that the mossy bank makes a nice sitting rest spot. It looked like it was there forever. Moss grows slow and will stay there many yrs. Swept the little bounty hunter over the bank and it rang high, clean and sweet. 2 - 3" under the moss I popped out a 1964 kennedy half. Never will forget what that taught me about hunting spots. What's fun I think is Not Knowing, you have to hoof it into the bush and your only tool to find a small spot of human habitation or use is [Bthe detector.[/B] have fun n great sucess bro....john

When I dirt dig, it's public land 95% of the time. You've all seen what I've come home with in the last 3 years...and a big part of consistent success is research beforehand, then getting onsite, seeing how it is now...and picturing it back when. Tin has the right idea here...good finds can happen almost anywhere:yes:

Ya research n maps help but when you find those unexpected spots thag just keeps giving its really a great feeling good luck out there n happy hunting

Yeah, ya got to figure if someone wanted to hide something valuable, where might they bury it? Where would YOU bury something? Near a (now) large tree, rock outcrop, or something of the like. GL and HH. Matt

Back
Top Bottom