• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Old swimming pool

NH hunter

I have permission to search an old public pool that was a size of a football feild. My problem is that it is loaded with iron. Hot rocks everywhere and it is driving me crazy. I am new at this and not sure how to minimize the false readings. I use a F5 which I have little experience. This pool dates back to 1928 so there got to be some great finds, if I could only find them through all of the chatter. I notch out everything but coins, my gain is at 75 and threashold is -3 but I am still picking up this iron rock material. I need help! Any suggestions would be welcome. :?:

Paul

I have permission to search an old public pool that was a size of a football feild. My problem is that it is loaded with iron. Hot rocks everywhere and it is driving me crazy. I am new at this and not sure how to minimize the false readings. I use a F5 which I have little experience. This pool dates back to 1928 so there got to be some great finds, if I could only find them through all of the chatter. I notch out everything but coins, my gain is at 75 and threashold is -3 but I am still picking up this iron rock material. I need help! Any suggestions would be welcome. :?:

Paul

Wheres it at?
I'll come "clean" it out for you...:thumbsup:
..___________
~ Swing well and prosper.

Have you tried turning down your sensitivity a bit? I know you may lose an inch or two depth, but its better than digging every hot rock you find.

Are they all ringing in with the same tone? What's the reading on them? Are they jumpy or do they have a strong signal??

Man that's rough! I'm not familiar with your machine but if a small DD coil is available that might help a lot.

Good luck to you I hope you get the puzzle figured out!

Mostly sensitivity and a small coil. After that you are digging. Stick to areas around the concession stand etc to begin with. See if you can find some pictures taken at the pool if possible to minimize your search area.

I'm useing an F5. My gain is 75 and the threashold is at -3. Depending on the depth sometimes is shows nickel and larger rocks that are deep show 50 cents. I am from the Pittsburgh area so they may have used some old steel mill slag for back fill. I am going to your advise and give a try. Thanks for your input !

im in pittsburgh too

what part of burgh you in? im new at detecting too. just ordered an f2, hope to get out with it soon.

Back
Top Bottom