Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-26-2019, 01:00 PM
Chuckles_detect Chuckles_detect is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Exclamation Metal Detecting Laws Germany?

Hey all, this is my first post on the forum, Iím on treasurenet and decided this would be more helpful for my inquiry.


Am an American and I have friends living in the suburbs of south east Berlin and I am planning on visiting Germany for a couple weeks this summer and was curious about metal detecting laws near the area. I recently got into metal detecting and it has always been my dream to look for WW2 relics in Europe.
Does anyone know the specific laws for this area in Germany? In the Berlin area? Also what about certain laws for bringing artifacts home, like pins or empty casings and such.
Iím new to this forum so if this is in the wrong place Iím sorry and any help or info would be great thanks
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 03-26-2019, 03:28 PM
HistoryHippy's Avatar
HistoryHippy HistoryHippy is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Southwest ohio
Posts: 144
Default

http://www.metal-detecting.de/misc/g...detectinglaws/
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 03-27-2019, 11:05 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,952
Default

I have only briefly scanned history-hippy's link. But I will say this: There are SCORES of md'rs chiming in from Germany. With their show & tell of their WWII stuff, their old coins, etc.... Hence *obviously* it's not illegal there.

As for whether or not those scores of hunters do all that permit stuff in history-hippy's link, I dunno. Sometimes links like that are quoting from archie types, who will pain a dire picture of things . For example: I have no doubt that if you asked enough archies here in the USA, that you'd probably come up with dire-sounding cr*p too. But ... as I said, I didn't fully explore his link.

I bet that if you just did private farmers fields (like they do in England) with the farmer's permission, then can't a farmer do whatever-the-heck he wants on his own land ? So go help him find that gold ring he lost yesterday. Since there's so many German md'rs chiming in here, I bet it's a non-issue there. As long as you're not snooping at obvious protected sensitive monuments.

Good luck
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 03-28-2019, 03:54 PM
HistoryHippy's Avatar
HistoryHippy HistoryHippy is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Southwest ohio
Posts: 144
Default

That link just said if you're wanting to be searching near something near a monument or cultural heritage site like burial mounds gov't owned and maintained castles you would have to have a permit.

Everything else is fair game.

The states of Germany have different rules for what the archies would consider artifacts.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 03-28-2019, 03:57 PM
HistoryHippy's Avatar
HistoryHippy HistoryHippy is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Southwest ohio
Posts: 144
Default

For farm fields, woods, and other private property all you need is the owners permission.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #6  
Old 03-28-2019, 04:26 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,952
Default

Originally Posted by HistoryHippy View post
.... Everything else is fair game.....
Based on the volume of German hunters we see, proudly showing their finds, I figured as such. And as far as the "not near monuments" or "not in burial grounds", blah blah, well ..... gee .... that's the same here, or Britain, etc.... So that could be said of any location or any country.
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 03-28-2019, 06:37 PM
HistoryHippy's Avatar
HistoryHippy HistoryHippy is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Southwest ohio
Posts: 144
Default

Yeah the whole determination of whats archeological significant is rather hazy. It seems like they could say anything is.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 03-28-2019, 08:28 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,952
Default

Originally Posted by HistoryHippy View post
Yeah the whole determination of whats archeological significant is rather hazy. It seems like they could say anything is.
Yes. They could "say" anything is archaeological and/or sensitive.

And what's the QUICKEST way to bring about their need/desire to make such a pronouncement ?? To seek clarification and ask "Is this significant ?". Then .... lo & behold: Someone (bless their little hearts) will figure that they need to add some policy and clarification answer to this pressing question.

Thus: I'd rather it be "hazy". The less people that think about me, the better
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 03-28-2019, 08:34 PM
HistoryHippy's Avatar
HistoryHippy HistoryHippy is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Southwest ohio
Posts: 144
Default

Agreed! The next question I ask is does it fit in my suitcase.!
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #10  
Old 04-26-2019, 07:21 AM
TripWire's Avatar
TripWire TripWire is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South Korea.
Posts: 33
Default

I'll be in southern Germany for the Spring/Summer of 2019. I plan on bringing my detector, so as I can check out some public swimming beaches when I'm not working. Who knows, I might find some dry dirt to hunt.

__________________
Fisher CZ-21 with 8 inch coil.

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 04-26-2019, 08:21 AM
Pete e Pete e is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Wales, UK
Posts: 72
Default

Originally Posted by TripWire View post
I'll be in southern Germany for the Spring/Summer of 2019. I plan on bringing my detector, so as I can check out some public swimming beaches when I'm not working. Who knows, I might find some dry dirt to hunt.
Do they have many public swimming beaches in southern Germany?
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 04-27-2019, 05:58 AM
TripWire's Avatar
TripWire TripWire is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South Korea.
Posts: 33
Default

Originally Posted by Pete e View post
Do they have many public swimming beaches in southern Germany?
According to my google searching, I have been finding public beaches.

__________________
Fisher CZ-21 with 8 inch coil.

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 05-14-2019, 06:48 PM
Chuckles_detect Chuckles_detect is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
I have only briefly scanned history-hippy's link. But I will say this: There are SCORES of md'rs chiming in from Germany. With their show & tell of their WWII stuff, their old coins, etc.... Hence *obviously* it's not illegal there.

As for whether or not those scores of hunters do all that permit stuff in history-hippy's link, I dunno. Sometimes links like that are quoting from archie types, who will pain a dire picture of things . For example: I have no doubt that if you asked enough archies here in the USA, that you'd probably come up with dire-sounding cr*p too. But ... as I said, I didn't fully explore his link.

I bet that if you just did private farmers fields (like they do in England) with the farmer's permission, then can't a farmer do whatever-the-heck he wants on his own land ? So go help him find that gold ring he lost yesterday. Since there's so many German md'rs chiming in here, I bet it's a non-issue there. As long as you're not snooping at obvious protected sensitive monuments.

Good luck

Sorry I am getting back to this late, I will be going for 10 days in July and I am very excited, thank you all for your input!
Reply With Quote


Reply


Tags
europe, germany, laws, metaldetecting, regulations

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.