Milk jugs as diggers?

Steelie

Good Day,

So the other day I am washing out an empty gallon of milk to put in the recycling. Then I had an epiphany. "Hey, I bet I could make this into a sand digger!" It already has a handle, and talk about the possibility of a wide opening! Then I started thinking a little more. "Hmmm, does seem a bit thin and pliable. Ooh, how about two jugs together!" So here is what I am thinking... (have to wait for the next empty gallon to experiment with...) Take two empty gallons of milk. Keep the "interior" gallon intact. Take the second gallon and cut it from top to bottom along the length of the handle. Then cut the bottoms off both gallons at the same angle so as to form a point on the "digger". Take the cut digger and place it over the interior gallon. Then... using a heat gun carefully melt the two together into one solid unit. Should be pretty stout by then I would think... Then drill holes as needed to let the sand out and hopefully find your target in the scoop. When complete i will post a picture...

Steelie

Interesting idea, keep us posted. Should work in dry sand, wet sand, not a chance. If you could some how introduce a wire mesh screen in the bottom of the jug, say 1/4 inch holes perhaps it would dramatically decrease the sifting time. I had a similar epiphany the other day while cleaning the litter box. The scoop for cleaning the litter box (new scoop of course) would work in dry sand, like beaches and playgrounds. Inexpensive metal detecting accessories... I can see a sticky now! :roll:

It might work in the fine, eastern Lake Michigan dry sand. What have you got to lose? Nothing!!! Give it a shot and let us know how it works.;)

However, the sand on the "left coast" is very coarse, and even when dry it's not very "fluffy".

DIG_IT.jpg

Here's me abusing my digger in California.:lol:

Funny thing about that, I forgot my sand scoop one day last summer, and another guy detecting where I was suggested the same thing. I don't think it would replace a good sand scoop. but would certainly make a great backup and the price would certainly be right.:yes: Sure would beat sifting the sand by hand.:D

I made one too....

It was a plastic spaghetti sauce jar and it is very tough. I strategically cut as to not compromise the strength ridges and drilled alot of 1/4 " holes. Seemed to work great on a couple test spots. It worked best when it was filled and swished in the water. I can see that as being a problem if I get into some sand hunting. Who wants to go to the water everytime ? Thinking about one of the primo ones I usually see the beach pros use.
Marty

Good Day,

So the other day I am washing out an empty gallon of milk to put in the recycling. Then I had an epiphany. "Hey, I bet I could make this into a sand digger!" It already has a handle, and talk about the possibility of a wide opening! Then I started thinking a little more. "Hmmm, does seem a bit thin and pliable. Ooh, how about two jugs together!" So here is what I am thinking... (have to wait for the next empty gallon to experiment with...) Take two empty gallons of milk. Keep the "interior" gallon intact. Take the second gallon and cut it from top to bottom along the length of the handle. Then cut the bottoms off both gallons at the same angle so as to form a point on the "digger". Take the cut digger and place it over the interior gallon. Then... using a heat gun carefully melt the two together into one solid unit. Should be pretty stout by then I would think... Then drill holes as needed to let the sand out and hopefully find your target in the scoop. When complete i will post a picture...

Steelie

This is a good idea but may I make a suggestion? Putting the two milk cartons together should work if you use them as a "mold" so to speak. Go to the local body shop supply and get some fiberglass resin and mat. Take your inner carton and cut some fiberglass mat to cover as much of the surface as you can. Then dry fit your outer carton and adjust as needed. Mix your resin, soak the mat, and put it all together sandwitching the fiberglass between the cartons. Once the resin is set you can trim as needed and drill your holes. It should be very strong and durable.

Back
Top Bottom