Ice pick as a coin probe?

Harbour Freight makes a set of "pry bars" that work great and are cheap. They come in three sizes so you have a choice of which to use. If you get them on sale they are very cheap.:D

Attachments

• Coin Poppers.jpg
    Coin Poppers.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,280
supplies

ice pick? :?: maybe.. but screwdriver, even a spoon, or a small hand shovel works better in my book, and if you have to buy something from Lowe's, they do have hand shovel's in the garden dept for less than $10. A spare dish towel.. A small carry on 'fanny pack' works well for collecting finds and supplies. My bag I carry has a belt/shoulder strap, and I bought it at Walmart of less than $10.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/album.php?albumid=26

Dusty Eagle

ice pick? :?: maybe.. but screwdriver, even a spoon, or a small hand shovel works better in my book, and if you have to buy something from Lowe's, they do have hand shovel's in the garden dept for less than $10. A spare dish towel.. A small carry on 'fanny pack' works well for collecting finds and supplies. My bag I carry has a belt/shoulder strap, and I bought it at Walmart of less than $10.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/album.php?albumid=26

Dusty Eagle

The ice pick is used as a probe (make sure it is a cheap ice pick and not a hardened steel awl. The ice pick quickly blunts into a round tip so it won't damage the coin when probing for it). The other tools you mentioned are for popping.

I went to northern tool and bought a cheap file with a plastic handle, some epoxy, and a couple feet of 1/4" brass rod. Pulled the handle off the file, drilled the handle out a little bigger than 1/4", put some epoxy in the hole, stuck the brass rod in and let dry, then cut the rod down to about 6-7".
Not the cheapest way but theres plenty of brass rod left to make more as backups.

DSC009622-1.jpg

I do not understand why people use probes. Can't you just cut a very neat plug? I think with probes there is a much higher chance of scratching the coins which is something I definetly don't want to do!

Depending on the time of the year in these parts a plug can end up being just a dead lump of grass in a short period of time. With some practice you can pop a shallow coin pretty easy without stabbing it. And brass is fairly soft so it will do less damage than steel if you do hit the coin.

Well, I'm still learning.. I end up making a huge hole and have a big pile of dirt to dig thru.. hoping that will help. :lol:

I use one of those smaller pry bars.
But I got some brass Rod from Ace and cut at 6".
Drilled a smaller diameter hole in the end of the handle.
Hammered the rod in and filed a blunt tip.
Now I got a Coin Probe-n-Popper Tool, a two in one.

Take two Broom Handle Wall Clasps, Plastic Coated is best.
Screw them together, stick one end on your detectors tubing.
The other end holds your Coin Probe-n-Popper Tool.
Thats another Badger digging gear trick.

Oh, I guess a probe would be good for clad that is shallow. I was thinking more along the lines of deeper, old, silver coins.

I've heard of people using ice picks and long screwdrivers. But they coated the end with some kind of rubber or plastic or something. I don't know what the stuff is called, but there are even some plastics that will soften enough over a flame, to let you wrap it, or dip it on the end.

I really don't think ice picks are strong enough to pop coins. We tried it and it bent.

Dollar Store

This forum is fantastic ... the more I read the more ideas I get for things I need. Just for another idea ... how about using the non-stick variety of a spatula or mixing spoon with the head cut off ... leaves you with a plastic-like material that is less likely to scratch your finds and has a nice handle a hole tying on a belt loop.

Knitting needles

If you can find a fairly stout one free, cut it to length, (6 to 8 in.) make a suitable handle. (hard wood or golf ball). Drill the right sized hole, and secure it by pressing it in or gorilla glueing it. The metal is soft enough to locate a coin without scratching it. Just remember they can bend if you use it for a lever....Gil

Back
Top Bottom