Homemade "Lesche" type digger, whadaya think?

Methuselah

Forum Supporter
Ok, a short while ago HEAVYMETALNUT posted a thread about his new digger. When I got to looking at it I thought, "Hey, I could make something like that!" So, I dug aroung in my scrap and threw something together. What do ya'll think? I'll say this, It is a serious root cutter. I sharpened the leading edge and it will definitely get the job done. I made the T-handle nice and wide to give me plenty of torque too. I might try a small digger next.

scrapparts.jpg

SCRAP PARTS

1.jpg

BLADE FITTED TO TUBING

2.jpg

ALL WELDED UP

5.jpg

T-HANDLE FITTED TO SHAFT

7.jpg

ALL WELDED UP

8.jpg

COMPLETED ASSEMBLY

9.jpg

BLADE ROUGHED IN

10.jpg

FINISHED TRIM W/SHARPENED EDGE

11.jpg

FINAL ASSEMBLY

12.jpg

PRIMED AND PAINTED

6.jpg

MY NEW TOY

I had to show you a pic of my new welder. Got it this past summer (did a swap job on an old Rambler wagon) and she will definitely get the job done!

Comments and critique welcome on the "CP" digger!!

I probably have around 3 hours in it +/-. I got tired of raking leaves and needed a "diversion" for a little while. Nothing like a little creativity to recharge you. It works better than I thought it would. It is heavy enough to cut most roots without a lot of effort but not too heavy so as to be hard to work with.

Nice job. Let me know how it works out.
Those little wire feed welders are as handy as socks on a rooster.

..looks like it will "Git er done" although it also looks somewhat on the heavy side?

It does have some real "meat" to it, but that is what I was going for. This isn't a tool you want to carry to the park with you. I made it primarily for use in less frequently traveled areas. I wanted it to be heavy enough to cut hard clay and roots without working me to death but small enough to carry easily. I haven't weighed it, but it feels like it's about the same weight as a regular, full length shovel, even though it's only about 30 inches long. I have used it in some roots, but the soil is still pretty wet. It cuts roots great. I will have to wait for dryer weather to see if it works equally well on hardpan.

I like it. Thanks for the detailed pictures.

Please let us know how it works out and any mods that you might suggest for the next one.

Looks great!!!! I just bought the relic shark from lesche, and the first day out, it bent pretty good where the handle meets the shovel, with not much force. Your shovel looks indestructable. Let me know when you put them in production:tumble: Paul

Looks like an awesome digger for fields and woods! I was just wondering, what did you use to rough cut the blade?

thats a MIG welder..gun gives it away as well as the nozzle dip on top of the welder;)
great looking shovel man!

That's a nice lookin digger.

You done good.

I wish I had a torch and welder.

I miss being able ta cut, heat and
weld.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Back
Top Bottom