my Modified finds/recovery pouch

Mi$$ouri Jim

I just dicovered this subforum & just love it. I've been checking out all the mods & fixes you all have done.

I thought I'd post one of my mods.

I've never been able to find a finds/recovery pouch that really worked well for me. I dont like having to clean leather, so a leather one just wont do. So i ended up modifying a common heavy-cotton canvas two-pocket military surplus pouch. That way i can throw it in the washer when it gets too dirty.http://www.armynavymilitarysurplus.com/index.cfm?action=cat.prodInfo&productID=2106&categoryID=1024

NOTE: The pouches in the link above are the same design as the one I used, but they have rubberized linings in the pockets that mine did not have.

I did this a long time ago so I dont really have step by step pics on how I modified it but can tell you how I did it.

I removed the flaps & twist-closure hardware (the hardware was cheap & I didnt like it, plus I didnt want flaps).

I then took some of the trim off the flaps & sewed some patches for where the holes were after the hardware was removed. I did this all with a simple needle & thread .... and I am not good at sewing at all.

I got a thin strip of suede at the craft section at walmart and sewed it over the lip of the main pouch. I did this because I wanted some protection from wear & tear.

I then took a thick guage of copper electrical wire & carefully threaded it under the leather & around the back underneath the belt loop. I did this so that the lip of the main pouch would be stiff & open so I could put trash & my digger in very easily.

I then bought 2 clips
Leash%20Clip%20Style%20A.jpg
from a hardware store and sewed them together with a cotton canvas strap I had laying around (I used a some thick waxed thread used in stitching leather) to stitch them together with a clip on each end. With the clips I can easily attach the pouch on my jeans' belt loops (I havent broken one yet). There is a wide belt loop on the back of the pouch & I put the canvas strap with the two clips through that.

That's pretty much it. I've used it for years now & it has held up suprisingly well. I have yet to repair it in any way. Even after a bunch of washings (in a washing machine).

Its a tad on the small side as pouches go, but a lesche digger fits inside it well. I've been toying with the idea of making another that is completely dedicated to holding trash. I keep my digger & trash in the big pocket & smaller keepable finds (modern coins) in the smaller one. The REAL keepers (old coins or jewelry) go in a small container I keep in a secure jeans or shirt pocket. The pouch is VERY stable (doesnt flop around) & I've found that its pretty hard to lose any finds from the small pocket.

The finished product....
pouch1.jpg

Nice job. :yes:

I really need to make something similar, perhaps with an additional pocket or two. I usually carry a diving knife, large screwdriver, probe, small plastic trowel, small towel and pinpointer. Then again, perhaps I need a police belt! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom