Civil war dog tag? I hope so!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Forum Supporter
went back up to a colonial inn site i have done well in the past at.decided to fight through the brush up on the bank behind it.never really worked this hill that good before.targets are almost zero around the foundation and figured why not work it.got a few targets and thought on the way home a few buttons & 2 4 legged creature dog tags oh well.not a total loss.
cleaning the shield tag WOW! :shock: please tell me I have just found my 1st Civil War dog tag? sure looks the age to me!

Attachments

• APRIL  8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 005.jpg
    APRIL 8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 005.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 1,969
  • APRIL  8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 002.jpg
    APRIL 8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 002.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,645
  • APRIL  8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 003.jpg
    APRIL 8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 003.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,701
  • APRIL  8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 004.jpg
    APRIL 8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 004.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,710
  • APRIL  8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 001.jpg
    APRIL 8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 001.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,846
  • APRIL  8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 006.jpg
    APRIL 8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 006.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,640
  • APRIL  8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 012.jpg
    APRIL 8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 012.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,745
  • APRIL  8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 007.jpg
    APRIL 8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 007.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 2,093
  • APRIL  8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 009.jpg
    APRIL 8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 009.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,642
  • APRIL  8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 008.jpg
    APRIL 8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 008.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 1,701
  • APRIL  8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 010.jpg
    APRIL 8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 010.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 2,180
  • APRIL  8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 013.jpg
    APRIL 8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 013.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 1,659
  • APRIL  8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 014.jpg
    APRIL 8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 014.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,616
  • APRIL  8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 015.jpg
    APRIL 8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 015.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 1,731
  • APRIL  8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 011.jpg
    APRIL 8TH EASTER HUNT CW DOG TAG 011.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,695
wow that looks like a killer find i know nothing about civil war stuff
so i cant help
but wow that looks really cool congrats

I don't know for sure Dave but that looks for reals dude. I waiting for somebody that know to chime in but I would guess you have found something really special. Now you can look up the family and stuff. Very cool!

Looks really authentic,I tried googling the dude,couldn't match him up tho.Congratulations Davey!

Nice find! I think there is an on-line research place to look up soldiers of the CW. I think I heard about it on Antiques Roadshow once. HH, Dave.

Dog tags were not issued to Civil War troops. Some soldiers had their own ID tags made so their bodies might be identified should they fall in battle.

Looking at your tag, it looks like your man was from Waterbury, Conn and served in the Conn. National Guard. That's where the C N G comes in.

I doubt that saw service in the Civil War but probably came into existence from 1880-1900.

The soldier's name is on the tag. I would check Waterbury cemeteries for this guy's final resting place.

It has value, but probably no more than $50, but any local museum would love to have it for sure.

Dog tags were not issued to Civil War troops. Some soldiers had their own ID tags made so their bodies might be identified should they fall in battle.

Looking at your tag, it looks like your man was from Waterbury, Conn and served in the Conn. National Guard. That's where the C N G comes in.

I doubt that saw service in the Civil War but probably came into existence from 1880-1900.

The soldier's name is on the tag. I would check Waterbury cemeteries for this guy's final resting place.

It has value, but probably no more than $50, but any local museum would love to have it for sure.
http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.cfm
Alexander, George
Union
Artillery
2nd Regiment, Connecticut Heavy Artillery

SOLDIER NAMES

Displaying records 1 to 1 of 1

No.

Soldier Name

Side

Function

Regiment Name

Alexander, George

Union

Artillery

2nd Regiment, Connecticut Heavy Artillery

Hope its him!!

#Sostinkinjealous

Pretty sure I found your guy:

George J. Alexander, son of John and Agnes Alexander, was born in Paterson, New lersey, April 2, 1850. During his
boyhood he studied in the public schools of Waterbury and was reared to agricultural pursuits upon the home farm.
He engaged quite extensively in the wood business and in general farming. Like his father, he was a great reader.
He was an active member of a debating club at that time at Mill Plain and was one of the bright speakers.
In religious views he was a Congregationalist and in politics a republican. For thirteen years he was a member of
Company D, Second Regiment of the Connecticut National Guard. He served as juryman and as collector of school taxes
and on the school committee and discharged the duties in a commendable and satisfactory manner. Mr. Alexander built
for himself a nice home on the Meriden road and on December 10, 1884, married Antoinette Cornelia, daughter of
Shelton T. and Cornelia (Andrews) Hitchcock, of Wolcott, Connecticut. Three children were born to them, namely:
Elton H.; Morton; and Earl G., who died at the age of four years. Mr. Alexander was a man of sterling character,
noted for his industry and integrity. His death occurred October 31, 1909. He was interred at Pine Grove cemetery,
Mill Plain, Waterbury, Connecticut.
http://www.bonniemiller.com/ebay/p591_alexander_family.txt

PS - that would make him 11 at the onset of the war, so it's doubtful that's the same guy as the 2nd Reg. Heavy Artillery. Furthermore, the Alexander from the Heavy Artillery isn't listed as CNG, and is listed in a different company of the 2nd Reg as the ID tag.

Back
Top Bottom