Silver #43 and an interesting token

pballwiz

November has been a struggle due to our beautiful NE Ohio weather.
This year fall was pretty non existent . I went from running the A/C to running the furnace :(
The ground is so saturated in many places that the holes fill with water as soon as you dig them.

It also seems to be extra nasty outside whenever I have time to detect.
Yesterday was no exception but I put on my rain gear and had at it.
I was a tough two hours but I was able to do the silver dance in the wet falling snow.

The token I found is reported to be a pinball token from the 40's.
This is especially cool to me because as you can tell by my handle, I'm a pinball guy. I currently have 5 machines in the game room.
It would appear that both of my hobbies collided with this find!

Attachments

• 20181119_105944.jpg
    20181119_105944.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 147
Great Finds Wiz!!

Question.. since you have the keys to your machines and assuming they can still take coins.. Have you tried it?

I have modern pinball machines which all have coin mechanisms to accommodate quarters. The token will not work in my games as it is just slightly smaller than a nickel.
In the 40's, pinball machines were considered by many to be gambling devices and were outlawed in many places.
Players would earn extra game credits by hitting certain scores levels.
These extra credits could be sold back to the business owner for cash or goods (allegedly):laughing:
I'm guessing some games could also dispense tokens for the same thing.
Here's an interesting article on that very topic on the topic:
https://www.history.com/news/that-time-america-outlawed-pinball

There is a bit of irony in the find Tom. Still a nice collision of the two hobbies. Weather has played a big part on the detecting this fall and has limited opportunity with the absence of the fall season. Hopefully we get a bit more time if Mother Nature will allow. Trapper

Very nice find's while braving the weather to boot. I feel your pain with the weather, Maryland weather ain't been no better to us. most of the ball fields I hunt looked like pond's all summer and now it's getting cold.

Back
Top Bottom