Technical help please 🥺 modify a pi pinpointer.

Adam24

Hello everyone,I have a PI pinpointer IAM trying to connect it to a regular metal detector coil other than the small sniffing nose installed on it,there is 3 wires attached to the nose of the pinpointer if I random connect to a bounty hunter tracker VLF search coil with 4 colored wires (red, black, white,and green plus another 5th not insolated bare wire)is this safe to do ? Is there a certain wire color I should follow,? Note that both the pinpointer and the bounty hunter tracker use 2 nine volts batteries.thank you all

Adam… Jim in Boston here. (Also a Spectrum XLT user)

Not sure what you’re hoping to do is possible, especially if your pinpointer is a different brand than the detector. Just because you find same color wires in both, that really means nothing, as I don’t believe there is an industry standard for wire colors/functions. Sounds very risky to me. I am not a detector designer, but do have a background in test engineering in the computer industry.

Interested to hear if other readers may have differing thoughts on this.

Good luck !

I have nothing of value to add, but this is the most interesting, yet hilarious, detector experiment that I have ever heard of :)

I'm sooo looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Last edited:
Thank you though I haven't visited the forum for long time if you can forward my post to a technical geek
I will appreciate.

Adam, can't help with your question but I am moving this thread to our All About Detectors sub forum hoping someone can assist you.

Adam, you can't do what you are trying to do. The BH coil simply is not compatible. Most likely the PI pinpointer uses a bifilar center-tapped coil and the only way to attach a bigger coil is to wind one yourself.

Ok but.

The BH coil is already made why you think it might not work,if i make one what is the wire specs? The detector pro coil I think is similar to the inner antenna of old radio devices,,while there is 3 thin very thin green wires connected to that antenna or coil thing in which 2 wires are coming out from one position on the board and the 3rd is from a dyspot.

Is there any chance the foreign coil that I may use or make to backfire on the pinpointer electronics box ?

Is there any chance the foreign coil that I may use or make to backfire on the pinpointer electronics

The BH coil is already made why you think it might not work,if i make one what is the wire specs? The detector pro coil I think is similar to the inner antenna of old radio devices,,while there is 3 thin very thin green wires connected to that antenna or coil thing in which 2 wires are coming out from one position on the board and the 3rd is from a dyspot.

Carl-NC was a engineer who worked for Whites and is now with Fisher.. I would listen to him... if he says its not possible take it to the bank...

Whites had a PI pinpointer called the TRX. Carl moved over to First Texas Products and they released the PI pinpointers called the Fisher F-Pulse/Teknetics Tek Point. Wonder why???

Is there any chance the foreign coil that I may use or make to backfire on the pinpointer electronics

Not even sure what that question means. Maybe you didn’t read it before posting ?
Seems you are determined though, to do the un-doable, despite some advice from some experienced electronics respondents, so all I have left to offer is, Good Luck to you.

Adam, to determine what may or may not work you first have to determine how the coil in the pinpointer is designed, and probably also how it is driven. If you don't do that first then you are shootin' in the dark.

Whites had a PI pinpointer called the TRX. Carl moved over to First Texas Products and they released the PI pinpointers called the Fisher F-Pulse/Teknetics Tek Point. Wonder why???

The TRX is VLF, not PI. I didn't replicate the TRX at FTP because it was a difficult design and difficult to manufacture. PI is much easier.

Adam, to determine what may or may not work you first have to determine how the coil in the pinpointer is designed, and probably also how it is driven. If you don't do that first then you are shootin' in the dark.

The TRX is VLF, not PI. I didn't replicate the TRX at FTP because it was a difficult design and difficult to manufacture. PI is much easier.

I sure am proud of my TRX. Many years and hunts with it, and I still carry it, along with the F-Pulse. The TRX is VLF, but the best VLF IMPO. I hoped that First Texas might further the TRX production. I got my TRX for $59.95, after a Whites coupon from a story about a find which Whites used. Thanks Carl. Good ol days.

I sure am proud of my TRX. Many years and hunts with it, and I still carry it, along with the F-Pulse. The TRX is VLF, but the best VLF IMPO. I hoped that First Texas might further the TRX production. I got my TRX for $59.95, after a Whites coupon from a story about a find which Whites used. Thanks Carl. Good ol days.

Same here! My trx is still going strong. I don’t know how many thousands of times it’s been turned on and off. It’s the only pinpointer I own and hope it lasts many more thousands of on-off cycles.

Thank Carl, my memory is definitely not what it used to be.

Thanks for helping with the Fisher/Teknetics PI. Definitely my favorite pinpointers.

I love my TRX too.

Adam, I really don't want to be critical, but I'm worried about your name showing up on the Darwin Awards. Think you should listen to Carl. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom