Charging Problem, Nox 600

Silverhorse65

Elite Member
I've had my Nox 600 since June of 2020. I've gotten very used to it and generally love it. Here's the issue. I've found that if I don't run the battery all the way down before plugging it in, it won't fully charge. If the battery was run to empty, I plug it in, it give the flashing green light showing it is charging, 6-8 hours later I have a full charge.

Now, I'm not trying to charge it after every use. I won't put it on the charger until I'm well into my final bar so I know it's close to empty. But invariably, if it's not dead when I put it on the charger, it sits there on the charger flashing green forever and when I finally take it off the charger, it's showing only two bars.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks and HH!

I've had my Nox 600 since June of 2020. I've gotten very used to it and generally love it. Here's the issue. I've found that if I don't run the battery all the way down before plugging it in, it won't fully charge. If the battery was run to empty, I plug it in, it give the flashing green light showing it is charging, 6-8 hours later I have a full charge.

Now, I'm not trying to charge it after every use. I won't put it on the charger until I'm well into my final bar so I know it's close to empty. But invariably, if it's not dead when I put it on the charger, it sits there on the charger flashing green forever and when I finally take it off the charger, it's showing only two bars.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks and HH!

I did have that situation in the beginning. I found that the USB power adapter I was using was my problem. Odd. But I began using my power bank instead of wall outlet power, and I've never had the problem since.

I've had similar problems, mine looked like it was charging but wasn't.

Try a different usb plug, just like Martin said that was the issue for me one time.

Check the magnets on the clip, mine had a bunch of black iron sand on it and the charger wasn't seating correctly so it looks like it was charging but it didn't.

I've replaced my old battery already. I was only getting about 6 hours on a full charge. Never experienced what you are describing, but once I plugged it in and it wasn't charging at all. I looked at the magnet on the charger and it had tiny pieces of metal stuck to it, like stated above. I would check the magnets and also make sure you are using the proper voltage while charging.

Check the Minelab factory instructions.
It takes a better, higher current plug to provide enough current for a full charge.
Minelab battery charging recommendations:

"Charge the Equinox battery with a USB charger that has a minimum capacity of 2 Amps at +5 Volts. This will result in a full charge time of less than 4 hours."

I did have that situation in the beginning. I found that the USB power adapter I was using was my problem. Odd. But I began using my power bank instead of wall outlet power, and I've never had the problem since.

Thanks, I may have to look into doing it that way.

e323;3424238]I've had similar problems, mine looked like it was charging but wasn't.

Try a different usb plug, just like Martin said that was the issue for me one time.

Check the magnets on the clip, mine had a bunch of black iron sand on it and the charger wasn't seating correctly so it looks like it was charging but it didn't.[/QUOTE]

I'll check the magnets. Never thought of that, I don't hunt black sandy areas, but never know.

I've replaced my old battery already. I was only getting about 6 hours on a full charge. Never experienced what you are describing, but once I plugged it in and it wasn't charging at all. I looked at the magnet on the charger and it had tiny pieces of metal stuck to it, like stated above. I would check the magnets and also make sure you are using the proper voltage while charging.

Will do, thanks!

Check the Minelab factory instructions.
It takes a better, higher current plug to provide enough current for a full charge.
Minelab battery charging recommendations:

"Charge the Equinox battery with a USB charger that has a minimum capacity of 2 Amps at +5 Volts. This will result in a full charge time of less than 4 hours."

Yes, I did see that in the beginning and have been using the same charger which meets their standards. I'll double check though, maybe the charger itself is malfunctioning.

Thanks, I may have to look into doing it that way.

e323;3424238]I've had similar problems, mine looked like it was charging but wasn't.

Check the magnets on the clip, mine had a bunch of black iron sand on it and the charger wasn't seating correctly so it looks like it was charging but it didn't.

My wall wart adapter back then was sold as a 2 amp unit, but I got worried that my Nox battery was getting slammed after more than normal hours. My Equinox was close to brand new back then also. Once I began using the power bank, it never was any problem. I also incorporated using a Power Doctor gadget in-line, so I can see when I get to micro amps of charging current. Nice thing about using a power bank is that you can pack one during your long hunts. They are cheap now. I have never needed to use mine in the field but is always there in my car. It does help to have an auxilliary charge cable, but not necessary.

I can't honestly say why a 2A wall wart kept charging the Equinox.
It was just as likely that my Ebay wall wart purchase was a bad Chinese made, and poor quality. My first charges when the Nox was new, using my 1 amp adapters did well. My computer charged it more "friendly."

It is just comforting for me to see watch charge level with the doctor monitor and the power bank, and get full charges within a few hours. I try to take care of my battery. I am an old electronic tech.

Two much information. Sorry.

To add. It isn't good to run these li-on batteries to full empty as a routine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom