Extensive list of Deus 2 questions not explained in the manual - for newbies and advanced users

philber

I have read the manual several times now and there are certain things that do not seem to be fully/properly explained, or even explained at all, so I want to see what other people's explanations are on the following points. Please chime in on any of them that you think you can clarify; I'm sure many others have had the same question(s) so this could be a useful thread for newbies as well as advanced users.

From the Manual -

A lot of these seem to be translation issues and using the English language by a French person vs English usage by an American.

Page 12, in describing General Mode it says "Set the reactivity to 2 for more efficiency in cleaner soil or to 3 for polluted/mineralized soil". What do they mean by polluted? Not sure if they mean just "target infested" / trashy ground or something else because under Fast program, they end their description of that mode by saying "allow the machine to work fast in ferrous-polluted and mineralized ground". But, under the Park program, they say "Park is adjusted for searching recreational areas such as parks, dry sand beach, etc, sites that are normally polluted. One description says "polluted" is target infestation and another says it is "ferrous-polluted". Any idea what they mean by "polluted" as you can have target infested ground but it is not ferrous infested soil.

On the pages describing each program, it has the program name in dark black. To the right of that in gray color is a line that shows FMF Max.Freq. @xxx KHZ and then either Conductive soil subtraction or Frequency addition. Conductive soil subtraction seems to be explained under General program as "it rejects the moisture in the soils". Fair enough. But on all modes that are listed as "Frequency addition", nowhere does it explain what Frequency addition is. What is this? Any idea of how it works?

Under the Deep High Conductor program description, they write "Ground stability is set to 1 and soils above your setting will therefore sound to provide you with the best performance for specific deep searches. What is meant by "soils above your setting"? And what do they mean by "sound"? Are they referring to chatter or what is "sound"? And how can adjusting your ground stability setting up or down from the preset level help or hurt you in various situations. (kind of like having sensitivity set too high will cause chatter which can cause you to miss target signals. SO how cna changing your Ground stability help or hurt you?)
The next line ends by saying "Adjust the Ground by Grabbing, but if you are experiencing too many false signals, adjust ground stability at 2 to reject all the soils, ferrites and shocks". A) This seems to suggest there is only two levels for ground setting, 1 and 2? B) And how do you tell the difference between a false signal vs chatter, because the solution to chatter is often to turn down the sensitivity if a scan doesn't clear it up. Lastly, what are ferrites and what are shocks?

Under Deus Mono it says "Ground above your ground effect setting will sound like the Deus 1". What is "ground effect setting"? Is this the same as Ground stability mentioned in Deep High Conductor? And how do you know if the ground is above (or even below) your ground effect setting? I've never used a Deus 1, so the reference is kinda useless.

Under Gold mode it says "It is set to all metal for deeper detection and only rejects the localized ground to which you should regularly adjust by Grabbing. It will accept ground above and below your Ground setting". So is this "ground setting" the number you get after doing a ground balance?

Under Relic, the first line says it "uses lower subtracted frequencies to search for large masses" . What are lower subtracted frequencies? Yeah, 4.5, 7.5, 13 KHZ are the lower frequency ranges available on the machine, but what are subtracted frequencies?

If you have a low recovery speed like 1, it takes a longer time to analyze a target and you can miss adjoining targets because it is still reading the first target while it then passes over adjoining targets. So how do you know how many other targets you are missing if you hunt with a low recovery speed and are never alerted to those additional targets? Are there any indications given out by the machine?

Sub question - how do you figure out what reactivity speed setting to use for the area you're hunting? I want to hear it all, good and bad targets, so I dont want recovery speed taking so long to analyze one target that it misses adjacent targets and I never know they are there, but I also dont want reactivity speed set unnecessarily fast and lose out on depth as Ive noticed a serious loss of depth with higher reactivity speeds, pllus the signal is much more clipped as the machine resets for the next target.

On page 21, under Reactivity it says "You will find more targets and detect deeper on mineralized ground with medium or high reactivity levels."
Ok, so what is the threshold for reaching this unknown level that they refer to as "mineralized ground"? And how do you know you've achieved that threshold level - by your ground balance number or what? Its meaningless to say "mineralized ground" and then not tell you at what point they consider ground to be at the level of "mineralized ground"! Is it at ground balance 65? 82? Or what? Page 22 shows a graph and they have "intermediate zone" in yellow, up to about 60. But anything above that is simply labeled "Ground Zone", whatever the heck that means. Is this what they referred to as "mineralized ground"?

Toward the bottom of page 22, there is a green colored paragraph that says "When entering the Ground page, the Deus 2 moves into an all metal mode, unlike the Deus 1."
Page? What page? What the heck are they talking about? Seems like a translation issue here. Do they mean "screen" or "view"? (because the last sentence on the page talks about a "pinpoint page", which seems to refer to a pinpoint screen or view).

Bottom of page 33 -when using the WS6 as the master, it only has access to the 12 factory programs, correct? It does not transfer over any user created programs?
but on page 34, under headset option, it says there is a program save, so can you save 12 user programs on the WS6?

Chart on page 43 - under Multi Tones it lists 1,2,3,4,5,Pitch, Multi Tones 1 and 2 + EXPERT modes.
What are Multi Tones 1 AND 2? What is the 2 referring to? And what are the EXPERT modes?

Page 48 - A damp cloth can be used to clean the non waterproof parts.
What parts are not waterproof????

Can you recharge it in the field using an external battery pack, like a computer charging unit? Or what about the Powernox battery pack for the Equinox? Will any slow charge power pack work? Anyone have any experience with HOW LONG it takes one of these external battery packs to recharge everything? If you use Deep HC mode and high sensitivity, theres no way you can go away for a weekend multi day hunting trip as the coil battery only lasts for about 7 1/2 hours and it needs a recharge. But what if you're in the bush and dont have a plug in power source like an electric wall outlet?

What is the difference between discrimination and silencer?

Thanks for your help and in answering these questions, hopefully it made you think about things and solidified your own understanding of things as you thought about how to explain your answers. "Those who know, do. Those that understand, teach."

I think by polluted they just mean a high density of targets in the ground.

Frequency addition means they are adding the ground response to the main signal. This increases effectiveness on small / deep targets whos signal amplitude is approaching the amplitude of the ground response. There is probably a bit more going on than just that, but I doubt they will ever share the exact technical details.

In regards to Deep HC, Ground stability seems to change the way the detector handles a measurable ground response. A Ground Stability setting of 1 allows all ground signals to come through so long as their TID is higher than where you have set your ground balance. This means you can significantly lower the ground setting to let in faint signals that the machine would otherwise consider a ground response, to come through. All ground is magnetizable, so all ground produces a response, and the deeper a target gets, the more that target's response fades, enough fading and it blends into the ground.

Shocks are when you bump the coil and it acquires a vibration that causes movement in the magnetic field creating a false response. (Try it, set Ground Stability to 1, and then lightly bash your coil into a rock or something and you will notice it produces a low almost iron like response. Ferrites are just any rock / material with magnetic properties, either naturally occurring or man made like ceramics.

In regards to Deus Mono's ground setting, it is just referring to whatever number you get from a ground balance. SMF is great at subtracting the ground response, but in single frequency the ground is much more responsive and depending on the location will give a feedback tone.

I am not exactly sure what they mean by Subtracting the larger frequencies, and how that plays into searching for larger masses.

Lower recovery speed does blend adjacent targets together via the superposition principle. This means the resulting signal from two objects is equal to the sum of both signals at point in the domain. There is no way for a detector to tell there are two objects if their signals are being added together. (e.g. if I give you the number 10, you have no way of reversing it to figure out if I added 2 + 8, or 4 + 6, or any such combination, meaning the process is not reversible).

In general the optimal recovery speed setting depends on target density. Lots of targets nearby one another means you should use high recovery speed. Spread out targets mean you should use lower recovery speed. But it is also worth trying all settings at all locations if you intend to pull every target out of the ground. Generally speaking the lower recovery speed the slower and more steady you want to swing too.

Ground mineralization can vary a lot so there is no exact value on which it becomes advantageous to use higher recovery speeds. I think the best solution here is to just test your own soil.

Discrimination means the detector silences any tones that produces a TID below whatever value you have it set at. Silencer operates on the whole TID range by eliminating pops from iron falsing.

Hope this helps. Good luck hunting.

Back
Top Bottom