• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

silver coin cache

mountainman

Despite the rain, I still wanted to get out to do some detecting. Went to a camp I've hunted in the past with some success. Covered the controls with a bag  to keep out the rain and relied only on the audio. 1st couple of signals were tabs,then another solid signal turned out to be a 1935 quarter.Concentrated on the area for the next four or five hours and found a total of 40 silver dimes,14 silver quarters, a silver half and a 1886-0 silver dollar(my first) The silver dollar and half were stacked together . The picture is below (I hope).Sorry but I don't know how to post a picture from picture project. There was also a lot of non-silver in the area.All together there was about 9 dollars face value in silver and about thirty dollars more in clad.?There was a rusted out can buried with the majority of the coins.Most of the coins were so close together that they had to be in some kind of container. Thanks for reading,hope that picture is clear enough to see.MM

I don't need pictures to say Holy Moly! :shock: Awesome find. Naturally I want to know which detector, how deep, and most of all where you found it. (Ha Ha) I am looking fwd to some bigger pics. Someone here should be able to help you get them posted. Congrats.

Wow! that is a hunt that would takle most people a few years to match! Congratulations!!

To post a picture: Click on Additional Options in the Posting screen and you will be able to upload a picture from your computer. 200kb max.

I am anxiously awaiting the pictures!

Thanks for the info on the posting .At this  time I  only have dial-up . Might be why I'm having trouble posting.. The picture is also way too large,how can i shrink it down? The detector used was a White's Classic ID(A gift from my wife) and I also own a White's surfmaster (PI) for the water which probably would have been the better machine to use last Sunday. Most of the coins were found from an inch below the leaves to about six inches deep in a very concentrated area. The dollar and half were about four inches deep sticking out of the side of the hole I was digging. looked like part of a can at first until I saw the reeded edge of two big coins. Wish I had my camera for that sight. Happy hunting everyone.I also should mention that I hurried past that spot in the past because it didn't look  too promising. MM

Well done! Let's see the pics! Also, FYI, Google have a brilliant, free, downloadable program called Picasa. It catalogues all your pics, and, when you email them, it converts 1Mb pics to about 30k!
We look forward to your pics. HH

Here is a better picture of the cache found one day.MM

Attachments

• DSCN1601.JPG
    DSCN1601.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 1,328
Several times. Recovered about 17.00 face value in silver there. There's probably more there but it's too hot to go out right now. MM

What an incredible site! I believe that would be my new address for as long as it took.

and here is the big thing......DON'T TELL ANYONE where it is or what you're finding if they ask while you're doing it. Show them the junk.

Thats awesome to say the least. I do agree with Skrimpy, mums the word for a while till you are satisfied you have cleaned it out. Good chance that there is more there for you to get.

My dad is the only other one who has searched this location with me.In another area he found a merc. and a indian head cent. Below is a better picture of the silver dollar.Gotta get back there one of these days while the weather is still good.

Attachments

• DSCN1602.JPG
    DSCN1602.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,055
  • DSCN1603.JPG
    DSCN1603.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,016
Awesome. Did you go back yet? Hey... where did you say you found that? (exactly?) Ha-ha

No,I haven't been back lately.Actually been concentrating on the location that produced the George Washington Buttons. Found another large cent near there that had a hole drilled thru it(180?).Hard to hunt right now,maybe later in the year when everything starts to die back and the bugs aren't such a nuisance..MM. Ok,found the cache exactly in northwestern nj. ;) :grin:

Back
Top Bottom