What's this Asian coin? Part 1.

sandgroper

Elite Member
Anyone have an idea what type of Asian coin this is?

Attachments

• ???1.jpg
    ???1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 286
  • ???2.jpg
    ???2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 252
Thanks for your help guys! Although I now know it's a Chinese Coin, I still haven't found a perfect match on that website which HuntinDog provided. I'll properly search that site when I have more time, but thanks for sharing it! :) :)

Did you check the link? I sent it on the other thread. It is a common coin

Did you check the link? I sent it on the other thread. It is a common coin

I think that is a Chien Lung Tung Pao.

Emperor KAO TSUNG
AD 1736-1795
Reign title: CH'IEN-LUNG, AD 1736-1795

http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference...m#chien lung

They don't have a picture of the coin with that inscription on the back but I think it is Boo Fu (Fukien Mint). I'm not 100% sure though.

Yeah I had a look at the link, but I couldn't find the exact coin. Thanks for your help with the ID though, that's quite an old coin! I actually found it at a playground inside a school! :)

Yeah I had a look at the link, but I couldn't find the exact coin. Thanks for your help with the ID though, that's quite an old coin! I actually found it at a playground inside a school! :)

Yeah, it takes some time to find the coins especially if you don't have some idea of the age. The easiest way to identify them is to find a couple of features you can easily recongnize and just go through the list. When you find one that looks similar just compare the other characters.

For some reason these kind of coins are found a lot in other countries. I found a picture of one I found in the U.S. a long time ago and I think it is the same kind.

Here in Japan most of the square hole coins I find are Japanese coins from between 1636 and 1868 but I find Chinese coins occasionally. Japan used to import Chinese coins to use as currency unti the early 1600's. I have found Chinese coins ranging from the 600's to the 1400's. They are interesting to find.

Last edited:
Yeah, it takes some time to find the coins especially if you don't have some idea of the age. The easiest way to identify them is to find a couple of features you can easily recongnize and just go through the list. When you find one that looks similar just compare the other characters.

For some reason these kind of coins are found a lot in other countries. I found a picture of one I found in the U.S. a long time ago and I think it is the same kind.

Here is Japan most of the square hole coins I find are Japanese coins from between 1636 and 1868 but I find Chinese coins occasionally. Japan used to import Chinese coins to use as currency unti the early 1600's. I have found Chinese coins ranging from the 600's to the 1400's. They are interesting to find.

I definitely don't mind finding foreign coins; it makes identifying the finds much more interesting! I see it as a challenge to determine what type of new coin I've found! :)

X-Terra
As I said in my previous post...
Your coin can be found here.
http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference... of titles

In the description it states that you cash coin is of the second series and was made between 1795-1799.

"Ch'ien-lung is thought of as one of the most brilliant rulers in Chinese history. He was a patron of the arts, which reached a very high level during his reign. His is also one of the few Chinese emperors to abdicate the throne, which he did to honor K'ang Hsi (his father) by ending his reign just before it would have exceeded the length of K'ang Hsi's reign.

There are two basic series to the coins of Ch'ien-lung. The primary series has the regular Ch'ien-lung inscription, produced at many mints throughout his reign. The second type is referred to as the Shan-lung commemorative issue, with two upright strokes added to the bottom of the character "Lung", and is thought to have been issued during the period from his abdication in 1795 to his death in 1799."

The reverse of your coin is BOO on the left and FU on the right.
Minted at the Fukien mint. (NO reference to any English language)
Examples are from the above link.

Attachments

• Shan-Lung.jpg
    Shan-Lung.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Boo Fu - Fukien Mint.jpg
    Boo Fu - Fukien Mint.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 127
X-Terra
As I said in my previous post...
Your coin can be found here.
http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference... of titles

In the description it states that you cash coin is of the second series and was made between 1795-1799.

"Ch'ien-lung is thought of as one of the most brilliant rulers in Chinese history. He was a patron of the arts, which reached a very high level during his reign. His is also one of the few Chinese emperors to abdicate the throne, which he did to honor K'ang Hsi (his father) by ending his reign just before it would have exceeded the length of K'ang Hsi's reign.

There are two basic series to the coins of Ch'ien-lung. The primary series has the regular Ch'ien-lung inscription, produced at many mints throughout his reign. The second type is referred to as the Shan-lung commemorative issue, with two upright strokes added to the bottom of the character "Lung", and is thought to have been issued during the period from his abdication in 1795 to his death in 1799."

The reverse of your coin is BOO on the left and FU on the right.
Minted at the Fukien mint. (NO reference to any English language)
Examples are from the above link.

I don't see the 2 upright strokes on the bottom character that the Shan Lung has. I think that is the only difference in the Shan Lung and Ch'ien Lung series.

Agreed... no up-rights.

I've found both with and without and feel they are the same issue (1795-1799) with different "lung" molds.
For me it's been about 20 to 1 without.
I feel the main distinguishing factor is the Ch'ing vs. Shan character at the top of the front of the coin.
The "Z" shape vs. the "Hook" shape.
Just for info...
The characters are read top-bottom/right-left.
So.. Shan-Lung / T'ung-Pao

Agreed... no up-rights.

I've found both with and without and feel they are the same issue (1795-1799) with different "lung" molds.
For me it's been about 20 to 1 without.
I feel the main distinguishing factor is the Ch'ing vs. Shan character at the top of the front of the coin.
The "Z" shape vs. the "Hook" shape.
Just for info...
The characters are read top-bottom/right-left.
So.. Shan-Lung / T'ung-Pao

From the sources I have found on the internet it looks like the Shan Lung commemorative is just a variation of the Ch'ien Lung Tung Pao. The Ch'ien Character is a little different from coin to coin since they were made at various locations but I think it still reads Ch'ien Lung Tung Pao.

I don't know what Shan means or why that version is called that though. I know kanji can have more than one reading so maybe that's why but I have know idea. I'm not an expert on Chinese coins and it is confusing with all of the different scripts and variations in the kanji.

I found Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800 on Google books and I think it has the same coin with the same mint mark that X-Terra found.

https://books.google.co.jp/books?id...EIaTAO#v=onepage&q=shan lung t'ung pao&f=true

I hope that link works. I think you need to scroll down a page or two. There is also the Shan Lung version on the same page. I don't know how accurate this book is because it shows the dates for all version including the Shan Lung as 1736-1795 with is different than all the websites I have seen which show 1795-1799.

Just remember that in the 1700's, printing wasn't exact, so the characters varied a tiny bit from mint to mint. Not to mention they've been passed down from family to family, usually as good luck, for 250+ years. Probably been rubbed between the fingers once or twice ;), so the details get a little fuzzy. That's why you probably won't find an "exact" match, just go with the closest.

Back
Top Bottom