Found the biggest spill of my life today

bergie

Forum Supporter
And decided to walk an old Civil War Rd. today to see what I could find. Found a few had stamps some miscellaneous brass item. The brass plate has some writing on it some of the letters are missing. AR 2 5/8 13- on top and the bottom has TB?ISCO that is all I can make out. Now getting to the main attraction your all wanting to see is the big spill:lol:.It contained 50 22 shells must it took me 15 minutes to dig all those things out :lol:Some poor boy lost all his squirrel hunting shells probably had to call it a day:lol:

Attachments

• 002 (640x480).jpg
    002 (640x480).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 349
  • 001 (640x480).jpg
    001 (640x480).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
I would imagine that they are no longer any good.

I've been meaning to ask, what is the protocol when ammo is found. Is it dangerous to carry around in your finds pouch? I find a lot of shells and fired lead, and wonder what I should do if I find one unfired, let alone 50!!

As long as it doesn't have a primer strike not much danger. I just drop them in the finds pouch. Pull lead when I get home. joe

I've been meaning to ask, what is the protocol when ammo is found. Is it dangerous to carry around in your finds pouch? I find a lot of shells and fired lead, and wonder what I should do if I find one unfired, let alone 50!!

It kind of depends on the type of primer and condition. Chances are any rimfire ammo that you dig up will be a dud due to water infiltration to the primer and powder. Same for old civilian centerfire ammo. Now, military ammo is different, because it is built to be water resistant or water proof, so it could still be good. I wouldn't carry a possibly hot cartridge in a bag, pouch or pocket with anything hard and pointy that could poke the primer, or with a 9 volt battery. The main thing is protect the primer from impact.

Thanks for the comments. As for them being dangerous I would suspect as long as they have been in the ground there is no danger. Not sure what I will do with them could do them like we did when we were kids toss them in the fire to see what they would do.:grin:It's a wonder we ever survived childhood.

It kind of depends on the type of primer and condition. Chances are any rimfire ammo that you dig up will be a dud due to water infiltration to the primer and powder. Same for old civilian centerfire ammo. Now, military ammo is different, because it is built to be water resistant or water proof, so it could still be good. I wouldn't carry a possibly hot cartridge in a bag, pouch or pocket with anything hard and pointy that could poke the primer, or with a 9 volt battery. The main thing is protect the primer from impact.

Thanks, that is helpful and aplogies for side tracking the thread...

Do you think they were in a box and he dropped the box? How do you lose that many all at once ? Which we knew the stories behind a lot of finds , has to be some good ones . HH

Do you think they were in a box and he dropped the box? How do you lose that many all at once ? Which we knew the stories behind a lot of finds , has to be some good ones . HH

I would say they were a box of them as they were in a 8 inch circle. Actually lost a box one time but went back and found them luckily.

Thanks for the comments. As for them being dangerous I would suspect as long as they have been in the ground there is no danger. Not sure what I will do with them could do them like we did when we were kids toss them in the fire to see what they would do.:grin:It's a wonder we ever survived childhood.

Yeah, don't do that! They can still explode and send shrapnel flying with enough force to injure. Eyes are precious, and very vulnerable. You can give them to a law enforcement officer for proper disposal.

Back
Top Bottom