Newbie needs help picking my first machine.

wwbob

I'm brand new to this hobby and would like some input from those of you that know more then me.

I have narrowed my choice down to the Garrett ace 250 or the Whites Treasuremaster. I will be doing most of my hunting in parks and playgrounds.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My only advice is to save money in your budget for a quality pin pointer. I started with a garret pro pointer and would not hunt without out it. When I first started researching the hobby I thought it was a waste to buy a small metal detector to carry with the big metal detector.

My only advice is to save money in your budget for a quality pin pointer. I started with a garret pro pointer and would not hunt without out it. When I first started researching the hobby I thought it was a waste to buy a small metal detector to carry with the big metal detector.

I'm planning on getting a pinpointer. I was looking at the whites bullseye 2.

Welcome from Buffalo New York , pay what you can easily afford to get started !
HH

Take baby steps. You will hear a lot about $1500 to $2500 detectors, those aren't the ones to start on. Try to keep it to $300 to $500 to start. As for pin-pointers I use Pro pointer AT and Whites TRX.

The garrett ace 250 and the whites treasuremaster are in the price range i want to stay in for my first unit.

If you haven't done so already call some of the sponsors on this site or send them a private message. When I bought my first detector I called Bart at Big Boys and he gave me a great price. They are sometimes controlled by the manufacturers as to what price they can advertise on their site but they can sometimes sell cheaper. I don't know current pricing but it is worth your time to let them know you are a member of the site and ask for pricing.

Just call Craig aka detectingMO ...he is very knowledgeable and will help you pick a machine that's perfect for you.

The garrett ace 250 and the whites treasuremaster are in the price range i want to stay in for my first unit.

The Treasuremaster and the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro have the VDI numbers and some automatic ground balancing features on the high end.

The Fisher F2, F22 and the Eurotek Pro are on the low end and all capable but with a preset ground balance.

Call some sponsors here,,,,they will guide you.

Detector
Digger
Pinpointer

You might get a good deal on a bundle that will have what you need.

You've got lots of options for getting started and can't really go wrong on any of them.
In my opinion, learning to hunt by audio tone is important, but having VDI is also a nice option, but not the most important. Of the two you mentioned, I'd suggest the ACE 250, but have no experience with he Treasure Hunter. I think the Fisher F2 is a good beginner also (has VDI), but again, anything will be good to get started. I began with a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and it served me very well for two years. Simple, light, and effective.
I will agree that you'll do yourself a favor by investing in a good pinpointer. The White's Bullseye is not at the top of that list. A good one will run about $100 and will be worth it with proximity detection. Those are Garrett's ProPointer and the White's TRX. I invested in a ProPointer a year after I started metal detecting and learned how useful a good pinpointer is. Previously I had a Harbor Freight cheapy that helped some, but still required some searching and guesswork.
Welcome to the hobby and good luck with your detector choice!

I would look into detectors with not only icons but extremely helpful VDI numbers on the screen...and now there are many at all price points.

This x 100--I also personally think a machine with manual Ground Balance is a key if you want to have somewhat accurate VID at deeper depths - if you want to hunt the 2-4" clad in parks it isn't too important unless you are in extremely mineralized ground

I'm brand new to this hobby and would like some input from those of you that know more then me.

I have narrowed my choice down to the Garrett ace 250 or the Whites Treasuremaster. I will be doing most of my hunting in parks and playgrounds.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

After checking out the basic ace-250 sports package link provided by Patriot1776, this sounds like too good a deal for a beginner to pass up.
I have only used the AT Pro and the Garrett Pro Pointer so I can't comment on any other metal detector or pin pointer, but, since I've hunted with MDers who have used other machines, I could eliminate some others based on price and accessory choices.
I have stuck with the AT Pro because I couldn't imagine meal detecting without the rolling audio the Pro-Zero mode affords and the choice of coils available to fit this machine.
The selection off a Garrett product, considering their wide range of metal detectors available, excellent track record for dependability and follow-up product support is a no-brainer.
And, just in case you're asking, "no" I'm not a agent for Garrett. I've just had a good experience with their products and don't mind endorsing them to someone wanting to spend money on a metal detecting product.
I think the ace-250 package, a Garrett Pro Pointer II and a decent digging tool is a pretty good choice for a first time metal detector hobbiest, and it affords a pretty good training base for selection of more complex machines as your skills and finances permit.

AT Pro/GPP-AT/Fiskars Diggers

In all honesty,, don't buy a ace anything..They are so far behind the others in they're price range,,dont do it.
Eutotek pro is just so much better I don't even know where to begin.even a Fisher f2 ..anything but that Garrett.Whites too are wayyy better..If I were in your shoes I'd get a eurotek pro, they're that good.
I bought a ace 350 and I wish somone would have talked me out if it,and when I got the eurotek pro I couldn't believe Garrett even sells any ace machines at all.

In all honesty,, don't buy a ace anything..They are so far behind the others in they're price range,,dont do it.
Eutotek pro is just so much better I don't even know where to begin.even a Fisher f2 ..anything but that Garrett.Whites too are wayyy better..If I were in your shoes I'd get a eurotek pro, they're that good.
I bought a ace 350 and I wish somone would have talked me out if it,and when I got the eurotek pro I couldn't believe Garrett even sells any ace machines at all.
This x1000! Compared to other entry level machines the ace 250 is outdated.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

After checking out the basic ace-250 sports package link provided by Patriot1776, this sounds like too good a deal for a beginner to pass up.
I have only used the AT Pro and the Garrett Pro Pointer so I can't comment on any other metal detector or pin pointer, but, since I've hunted with MDers who have used other machines, I could eliminate some others based on price and accessory choices.
I have stuck with the AT Pro because I couldn't imagine meal detecting without the rolling audio the Pro-Zero mode affords and the choice of coils available to fit this machine.
The selection off a Garrett product, considering their wide range of metal detectors available, excellent track record for dependability and follow-up product support is a no-brainer.
And, just in case you're asking, "no" I'm not a agent for Garrett. I've just had a good experience with their products and don't mind endorsing them to someone wanting to spend money on a metal detecting product.
I think the ace-250 package, a Garrett Pro Pointer II and a decent digging tool is a pretty good choice for a first time metal detector hobbiest, and it affords a pretty good training base for selection of more complex machines as your skills and finances permit.

AT Pro/GPP-AT/Fiskars Diggers

The Pro has VDI numbers, the 250 does not.
If you think they don't matter or help, fine, but why recommend someone else go stone age when other modern detectors are out there like the Ace 300 that have those numbers....and all those others.
For a newbie, and just about everyone else, those numbers on the screen make learning the basics way easier...IMO.

The ace 250 is not a " terrible " machine , but they false a lot and the target identification isn't the best. If you are leaning toward the 250 I would have to suggest you pass that one up and opt for the ace 300 instead , which has the numerical target ID system and from what Ive read is more stable than the 250......and there really isn't that much difference in price. Trust me , the target ID numbers make a huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom