Archaeologist License worth it?

In my area, the land managers have frequent meetings and know of any research projects that are scheduled and if you didn't go through the proper channels first to obtain a permit you would be quickly cuffed & stuffed. But we have Indian mound sites here and they are very watchful of those sites. You would have to convince them that your doing research and not treasure hunting beforehand.

Oh Yeah! Surely the whip! And that pocketty asst jacket with all those pockets..! Oh Boy what a great idea! I bet a guy could download and print off your OWN Archaeologist License and get the rest of the gear at some sort of specialty shop! And a pipe!:laughing:

Indiana-Jones-Meme.png

All kidding aside , if you have the education and connections , go for it !!
The very elite Archies may blow ya away , every town , state community may have different attitudes , Good Luck , Hope it works out for ya !! HH

Is getting an archaeologist license worth it so you can hunt state lands?

What state are you in ? Not all state parks forbid md'ing.

I know of one archie who metal detects. He got into some great sites that way. I asked him what his fellow peer archaeologists thought of that (since md'ing is disdained by most archies). He said he could care less, and they could go pound sand. But truth is, he probably didn't highly advertise his actions, but rather .... just used his credentials when it suited him (to deflect busy-bodies, as if he was on official business).

But seriously now, I would not go to all the trouble. I would just go detecting.

What state are you in ? Not all state parks forbid md'ing.

I know of one archie who metal detects. He got into some great sites that way. I asked him what his fellow peer archaeologists thought of that (since md'ing is disdained by most archies). He said he could care less, and they could go pound sand. But truth is, he probably didn't highly advertise his actions, but rather .... just used his credentials when it suited him (to deflect busy-bodies, as if he was on official business).

But seriously now, I would not go to all the trouble. I would just go detecting.

I live in the Land of 10,000 Laws. Also known as Minnesota.

lol, I looked up the requirements for such a license in Minnesota. It requires a graduate degree, supervised experience, and a bunch of other stuff. And I probably wouldn't get a whip or even a cool nickname. Ah well, on to "Plan B" I guess.

I think how you dress and act is important as well. Wear work clothes but not raggedy. Buy an official looking hat and jacket if you need to.

Someone here mentioned a plastic hard hat. Not a bad idea! If you dig with a buddy, have walkie talkies so they can call you "Doctor" or Professor Pulltab.

When in doubt say "Sir. Please stand back from the investigation site."

Back
Top Bottom