His life was (literally) for the birds! A tribute to Dad

Junkminer

Elite Member
At the urging of Mudpuppy I wanted share a story of my father (Glen Smart) and his lifelong passion and dedication to birds.
His obsession started early. At about 10 years old he found an abandoned nest of Sparrow Hawks and raised the 4 babies until they could fly. At age 14 he took a correspondence coarse through the mail and taught himself bird taxidermy. My Grandmas back porch quickly filled with mounts of all types. In 1963 he started donating mounted birds to Mizzou. He knew the curator of birds at most major zoos as well as private collectors. When a cool duck died they sent it to Dad.the donations continued throughout his life. The school now has one of the largest collections of mounted birds in the world. They also have the worlds largest collection of mounted waterfowl (ducks, geese, and swans). If you're ever in central Missouri feel free to visit the Natural Sciences building on the campus of the University of Missouri in Columbia and see a small portion of "The Glen Smart Collection" lining the halls in glass cases.
He was an avid duck and goose hunter. Sunrise over the decoys is what he loved. Dad also loved woodcarving makind birds. He made over 2400 and signed, dated, and numbered them all. The carvings are in collections all over the world. In the '70's and early '80's he was one of the judges for the annual World Championship Waterfowl Carving Contest in Salisbury, MD.
In 1963 he began his career with the USFWS working with endangered species, you guessed it, birds! In 1967, he and his boss (Dr. Ray Erickson) flew to Northwest Territoies in Canada and collected Whooping Crane eggs and brought them back to Patuxant Wildlife Research Center in Laurel, MD to begin a captive breeding program. Each pair laid 2 eggs but only one chick survives. They took one egg from each nest. At that time the entire population was 22 birds with 6 breeding pairs. The work continues today. There are over 500 birds now but they are still in trouble. In 2013 a pair of Whooping Cranes stopped by a local lake and spent a couple of weeks. We had the chance to watch them with my daughters (age 9 and 12 at the time). Dad said many times that was one of his proudest moments!
My Dad passed away at 84 in January. After his funeral at the graveside service, the honer guard handed the flag to Mom and the preacher said a final prayer. As we stood to leave, about 250-300 Snow Geese flew over the cemetery. A most appropriate send off, the only thing that would have made it better was if they were Whooping Cranes!
If you've made it this far, thanks for reading. Mike

Last edited:
Awesome story and a life well served with purpose. No doubt he enjoyed every minute here. Sorry for your loss, but kuddos for a man following his life long dreams and making a real difference!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for poring that link ! The old photos you see with the briefcases are awesome! That Dad and his boss with their presidiums cargo, 3 crane eggs in each box. Those cases were literally handcuffed to them.

That's just what I was thinking!

You can tell just by his pic he was a wonderful guy , great warm smile !
Thanks for posting , hope many get to share a bit of his life
HH

Great Write up and thanks so much for sharing it with us Mike! You think about how an experience when he was only 10yrs old set him on a course for his Life! I didnt know he carved too! Man! I'll Keep an eye out for one of his pieces!

Sometimes we find bird bands...and can contact the site and get the info about the bird along with a certificate with the info....The knowledge about your Father will add a bit of something special to them. That snow geese flyover was really amazing. Thanks Mike!

Thanks to all for your kind word, and thanks to Mudpuppy for encouraging me to write it. That was just a summary, I wish he had written a book. I didn't mention the work they did on other species like Califonia Condor (less than 2 dozen when they began recovery in 1979), masked Bobwhite quail, Aleutian Canada Goose, Puerto Rican Parrot, and more. He was tour guide for Prince Charles when he came to see the crane operation. He carved a miniature Whooping Crane that they made a mold of and cast in bronze to present to the president of Japan. He was a great man, father, and influence. I'm so glad my daughters got to know him.

Last edited:
I KNEW there was more to this! Do you have any pictures of his carvings or that bronze sculpture?

I think you probably need to do an album about Him to pass on down to your Girls and then on to their kids someday!...All this memory stuff gets lost to a lot of Families...It might take you some time to get the photos and whatnot written up, but nows the time!...

I assure you, that would become a Family treasure that may just strike into the hearts of your Family someday and set another on a good course for their Life...When a person helps any crippled or endangered critter, it surely fosters some empathy and compassion that is an important and rare trait to develop...Like Your Dad experienced by helping those baby hawks long ago...Something pinged in him and set him on that course of helping birds, and I do not doubt, an appreciation and respect for all Living things..

This is building here...You got enough to write a book about him that could impact the lives of a whole lot of people to the better...

Heres a few pics...Prince Charles on tour of the Whooping Crane nursury, Mikes Father, and then our Brother Mike!...Awesome! How many people ever get to feed a dandelion to a baby Whooping Crane? I tell you...Learning more and more about your Father has done my heart some good today!..This Forum Membership has some real World Life in it!...Life is not just about finding pennies.....

Attachments

• mike1.jpg
    mike1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 218
  • mike.jpg
    mike.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 223
  • mike2.jpg
    mike2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 219
A big thanks to everyone for your kind words. Can any of you internet savvy guys help me? I've been trying for years to a copy or a link to an episode of "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" about the Whooping Crane . I saw it when I was young( about 1970). I've exsausted every angle I can think of, can you guys find it? My Dad was featured prominently in it. I remember going to school the next day after it aired with my proud chest out listening to my friends tell me they saw my Dad on TV. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks, Mike

Last edited:
A special thanks to Mudpuppy for posting the photos for me. I've been on the forum for a couple of years and still don't know how to do it. I need to get my kids to help me!

Last edited:
sorry to hear about your dad, i know what your going through, i just lost my mom. its hard i know. your dad seem like a realy cool person and loved what he did. thanks for sharing. praying going out to you.

Hey selfan70, thanks for your kind words. I'm sure you're struggling with loss of your mom, it helps me to remember good times. Hope your doing better. Take care, Mike

Back
Top Bottom