• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Using a Nickel to Calibrate Your Detector

ToddB64

Elite Member
Hi ! :tiphat:

I would like to have some discussion on why particular metal items are chosen to calibrate our metal detectors.

Why do so many people prefer to use a Nickel in particular, instead of a Dime, Cent, Nail, etc. ? What properties make the Nickel so popular ?

Digger27 says Nickels are weird and don't respond with consistent signals in his experience which is quite extensive !

For starters I'm guessing the choice is made based on the conductivity of different metal items and I'm sure there are many other reasons that can be added to the list.

:thankyou: for contributing to this conversation !

ToddB64

I agree with Digger, nickels vary the most of any coin except zincolns...at least with my f70.

U.S. silver dime is what most people use as a standard for detector testing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don' think I have seen many testers use a silver dime.
I see many test where a US clad dime was used.

A nickel is used as well by some,,,especially for detectors that lean towards the relic hunting dept.
The nickels conductivity being nearer to brass and smaller lead, etc.
And likely being more near the size of a lot of buttons.

If you are interested in finding gold, you should be finding every nickle that you possibly can.
A huge amount of lost gold falls in the nickle conductivity range, although it can be anywhere from foil and up to zinc depending on thickness, size and alloy.

tiny gold chains and other tiny gold jewelry fall into deep copper zone :p
Those guys who are concerned of "nickel" zone only, should be awared of other zones as well :cool:

When I was using the IDX Pro and then the M6, I would use a pull tab to set the machine. Set the adjustment until the pulltab was nearly gone then start hunting. It would still hit the nickel strong.

By pulltab, I mean "stay tab"....you know, the ones that were meant to stay on the can but people pull them off anyway.:lol:

Thanks everybody for replies to this thread.....it helps my understanding !

Looks like the choice of calibrating to certain coin, jewelry or relic items is based on what a person wants to find with their metal detector....simple eh :roll:

ToddB64

My At pro is calibrated and nickel signals can mean gold rings along with lower numbers too.
The Atp is a gold magnet BABY!!:cool::bling::detector::realitycheck::workforgold::lol:

bruinvikes.....Are you serious ? That would mean only the first two posts in this thread were agreeable and that doesn't seem plausible to me. :roll:

ToddB64

With all due respect, just because only two people used the "+" method in posting doesn't mean that they're the only ones that agree. Some use that method and some don't. Heck, some people just read posts and don't reply at all.

With all due respect, just because only two people used the "+" method in posting doesn't mean that they're the only ones that agree. Some use that method and some don't. Heck, some people just read posts and don't reply at all.

+1 :hornetsnest::dingding::sissyfight:

Back
Top Bottom