Tumbler Video - Here it is!

Has anyone tried tumbling rocks in their tumbler? I might be able to sell the idea of getting one if I could make it fun for the kids by making rocks look like gemstones... Does that happen or is that just hype that they print on the boxes for the rock tumblers at the hobby shop so you'll buy it? I imagine you probably need a different type of tumbling grit to polish rocks...??? Anyone done this?

My NSI tumbler was a rock kit with all the grits and a bag of rocks, It takes a long time to complete them but they do look good when finished.

It does a great job of cleaning coins due to the internal ribs knocking stuff loose. You should see the first water dump from it. :wow:

I love the harbor freight double barrel tumblers. My buddy has one, and after a few mods, its gone strong for a solid 2 years of being turned on ALL THE TIME. the only time its been off is when he cleaned it out to add more rocks. BUT DONT OVERLOAD THEM or any other tumbler. I tumble my clad with baking soda, sand, and some dawn soap. works great for me.
Congrats on tumbling!

I kind of see your point.... but

Well I guess the fact that they charge me $1.50 to access my own money through an ATM each and every time. Or a $5.00 a month service charge each month. Plus they charge up to 8% interest to loan out my money that they pay me .03% interest on is really kinda ridiculous. I don't really care about their stupid machine. I'm not going to waste time and energy cleaning coins for them.

I mean seriously... run that tumbler for 3 hours for 50 pennies and you just lost money. I'm tired of getting it in the butt by the banks. I'm not cleaning a cent for them.

To the OP... the video's were good and informative.

Did you know that on ebay people are buying copper pennies? usually get anywhere from 2 cents to 3 cents each. And that is for clad coppers. Wheats pull a little more.

Too funny

Has anyone tried tumbling rocks in their tumbler? I might be able to sell the idea of getting one if I could make it fun for the kids by making rocks look like gemstones... Does that happen or is that just hype that they print on the boxes for the rock tumblers at the hobby shop so you'll buy it? I imagine you probably need a different type of tumbling grit to polish rocks...??? Anyone done this?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: the whole purpose of the machine to begin with. But honestly until a few weeks ago I had not. You have to buy special sand. There is different grain/roughness of sand sold. You have to buy several different kinds to get great detail from stones. Good luck share pics if you decide to do it

The tumbler I have was bought for me as a kid a long time ago. I did the rocks with 4 different polishes, it's about 3-4 weeks total. But yes.... they work awesome. It's the same exact polish you see on rocks and trinkets in gift shops!

Harbor freight sells the polishes also I think!

Has anyone tried tumbling rocks in their tumbler? I might be able to sell the idea of getting one if I could make it fun for the kids by making rocks look like gemstones... Anyone done this?

I'm LOVING THE TUMBLER! I've tumbled a bunch of items, keys, police badge, medallions, etc. It works great. I'm tumbling this years clad so far I've tumbled and rolled $60 in quarters and just tumbled my dimes. They are sparkling again :)

You tumbled a police badge? Did it not wear it down to much? Did it have enamel paint on it? I have a fairly new one that is just a wee bit cruddy that regular scrubbing with a toothbrush and detergent isn't handling. Wondering if I should tumble it? Did you tumble it alone with just the rocks and detergent?

Well I guess the fact that they charge me $1.50 to access my own money through an ATM each and every time. Or a $5.00 a month service charge each month. Plus they charge up to 8% interest to loan out my money that they pay me .03% interest on is really kinda ridiculous. I don't really care about their stupid machine. I'm not going to waste time and energy cleaning coins for them.

I mean seriously... run that tumbler for 3 hours for 50 pennies and you just lost money. I'm tired of getting it in the butt by the banks. I'm not cleaning a cent for them.

To the OP... the video's were good and informative.

You need to stop banking with banks and deal exclusively with credit unions. CU's do not charge ATM and and checking account fees other than usually a requirement to keep $50 in the account at all times. I switched from one credit union to another after I found one that had a coin counting machine that charges no service fee to use machine as long as you keep the coins to under $100 per day.

You tumbled a police badge? Did it not wear it down to much? Did it have enamel paint on it? I have a fairly new one that is just a wee bit cruddy that regular scrubbing with a toothbrush and detergent isn't handling. Wondering if I should tumble it? Did you tumble it alone with just the rocks and detergent?

I actually did a few minutes of electrolysis and then tumbled it for 3 hours with warm water, aquarium rocks, Dawn Dish Soap & a little Baking Soda. I found it on a beach and it was in rough shape. It had some dark enamel paint on it but it was hard to tell. It looks great now :)

I watched the videos. I have to ask though why go to so much trouble drilling holes in a bowl? I got a plastic colander from Big Lots and rinse my coins over a bucket. Also gotta ask why are you rinsing mud down your sink? Seems like a good way to stop up the drain pipes!

I watched the videos. I have to ask though why go to so much trouble drilling holes in a bowl? I got a plastic colander from Big Lots and rinse my coins over a bucket. Also gotta ask why are you rinsing mud down your sink? Seems like a good way to stop up the drain pipes!

holes in a colander are not big enough for all the rocks to fall through & I only paid a buck for the bowls :)
That's why they make drano :laughing:
Like I said in the video, it was my first time and I will learn as I go, ease up on me :boxing:

holes in a colander are not big enough for all the rocks to fall through & I only paid a buck for the bowls :)
That's why they make drano :laughing:
Like I said in the video, it was my first time and I will learn as I go, ease up on me :boxing:

Hey I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. Just trying to have a discussion on the effectiveness of cleaning techniques. Guess I don't see what the problem is with gravel not going through a colander. After the final rinse I turn the colander over and dump gravel and coins out on a beach towel to dry over night. Then I pick the coins out then dump the gravel back into tumbler until next time. I really think mud down the drain is not a good thing. Draino eventually will damage your pipes so shouldn't be relied on and don't dare dump Draino down a kitchen drain that has a disposal attached as it will eat the rubber gaskets away. (Learned that the hard way... thought the apartment maintenance guy was going to throttle me for that.) :lol:

Thanks for the great informative video.:yes: I got a good deal on the same one last year that my bud won at a hunt down south. Haven't used it yet but will very soon. Paid him 35 bucks so not bad. I have every coin I have found in the last 5 years so there is work to be done.:grin:
Cheers
Doc

Thanks for the great informative video.:yes: I got a good deal on the same one last year that my bud won at a hunt down south. Haven't used it yet but will very soon. Paid him 35 bucks so not bad. I have every coin I have found in the last 5 years so there is work to be done.:grin:
Cheers
Doc

Thanks DigginDoc, Just don't over load the canisters & enjoy the clean coins :)
I found Indian Head Pennies & V Nickels that I didn't know I had :bouncy:

Back
Top Bottom