* Equinox Coiltek 14" x 9".. my feedback *

meggie

Elite Member
Quite a few have asked about this coil .. this just my honest opinion ..
I tested this coil over a number of days at the beach.My first re-action is that it was quite heavy over other Nox coils.By shortening the shaft helped quite a bit, but did bring the coil closer to my feet .. this reduced my coil arch swing.
I found that it just didn't have the punch that the stock 11" or the 15" coils had.Also the signals just were not as clear sounding.
When in Beach2 mode it went nuts if I was anywhere another machine .. switching over to beach2 mode fixed it! Later I went over the same spot with Nox. and over two days I found 2 gold rings!!
I mentioned my concerns to my dealer and he contacted Coiltek on my behalf... Part of their reply stated that "the coils are all run through the same calibration program which Minelab puts on their coils so they don’t think the programming is incorrect"
Also very interesting that they said "They do not expect the 14x9” to have much difference in depth when compared to the 11” but in air it may look this way as it is only 9” wide"!
They suggested that I send it back for testing and could send me a replacement to try.
I sent the coil back on the 16th of April .. after two weeks of waiting I emailed them and then finally rang them.My coil was apparently in a queue and would be looked at on about the 7th of April.
I rang my dealer with my concern,re lack of service and he kindly offered to refund me,which I have accepted.
Yes the coil may be faulty, but I have given up on it now and will just move on.I'm more than happy to stick with the stock coil from now on.

Ive never really liked their coils.... now the NEL coils i did. BUT they seem to be the only after market willing to put the money out to do coils. ML may have held back just a tad.... who wants another company to produce a better coil cheaper?:laughing: Its seems most of the time with any water machine ive owned..... things get very equal between the standard and larger coils the closer you get to the salt water.... since larger coils normally need sensitivity adjustments.

Ive never really liked their coils.... now the NEL coils i did. BUT they seem to be the only after market willing to put the money out to do coils. ML may have held back just a tad.... who wants another company to produce a better coil cheaper?:laughing: Its seems most of the time with any water machine ive owned..... things get very equal between the standard and larger coils the closer you get to the salt water.... since larger coils normally need sensitivity adjustments.

Funny… on the Sovereign, Coiltek hit a home run with the WOT. NEL? Not so much.

The big “no” for me on the NEL was the quality and length of the cable. The cable was noticeably thinner and about a foot shorter than the WOT. When hip mounting the GT, I had to shorten my swing because the cable kept tugging the box. With the WOT, I could swing left or right handed without a problem. I contacted the manufacturer and got a not so pleasant reply.

I thought, at one point, Coiltek was the coil manufacturer for Minelab. Am I wrong?

R5

I think you are right about them doing MLs coils, which maybe why they are the only after market company for coils. There are several modes to the machine.... and likely the next generation, so hopefully these coils will benefit those modes. That WOT... man was a big coil, but then i used the 13" ultr which seemed easier to PP with. Oddly i never liked the Sov that well. AM was different enough from the Xcal to make me prefer the Xcal.... especially once Joe got us all hooked on the PP switch. I also preferred the older CZ20 to the 21.

I think you are right about them doing MLs coils, which maybe why they are the only after market company for coils. There are several modes to the machine.... and likely the next generation, so hopefully these coils will benefit those modes. That WOT... man was a big coil, but then i used the 13" ultr which seemed easier to PP with. Oddly i never liked the Sov that well. AM was different enough from the Xcal to make me prefer the Xcal.... especially once Joe got us all hooked on the PP switch. I also preferred the older CZ20 to the 21.

Hmmm… I never noticed a difference in the AM between the two machines. I need to pay more attention.

Eisenhower installed the PP switch on the SovWOT for me. He does good work. I like his button better than the switch on the handle.

R5

Back
Top Bottom