• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

800 and targets that disappear

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
with many detectors you get a signal, you dig and it disappears. Not in the hole and not in the dirt pile.

With the 800, I keep the gold mode in the custom mode and switch to that.

Most of my disappearing are small bits of metal anyway. So I easily switch to the user mode and not much can hide from the gold mode. When it is in the dirt pile, I can halve the pile with my shovel and find out which half that is in and halve it again. Then I usually finish with my pinpointer.

Interesting approach - I’ve experienced the “disappearing” signal more than I care to admit, I like to blame the iron rich dirt/ground … I may have to try your technique in some instances. Thanks.

and then it turned into a nail

I've taken to a similar "elimination" technique where I'll cut a hole, pinpoint hole and plug, and then use a scoop to extract lumps of earth and hover them over my coil. sooner or later I get the target or find myself with a post hole.

your earth may vary. works best in sand.

Last edited:
I had a situation where there was a quarter signal and so I cut the plug and flipped it and scanned the hole and the plug. No signal. Put the plug back and boom! signal is back. Flipped the plug again and no signal. Got the carrot out and started looking around the hole and found a quarter standing straight up in the middle. I think that when flipping the plug it caused the quarter to stand up and the signal to go away. Put
ting the plug back caused the quarter to lay down and the signal to come back. Makes me wonder if this happens to others too if though it seems kinda weird. With metal detecting you just never know.

Where did it go?

Yep, it happens every other time I'm out, my target disappears. When that happens, most of the time I give up looking. It is frustrating when it was a good signal. I will try your suggestion and see what happens. I just got my Deus II and am going to try it out for the first time today. Wish I had known about this trick a few years ago. Thanks!
HH everyone.

Back
Top Bottom