Cover me...I"m going in...

H Desert Digger

Forum Supporter
Today I am going to do a bit of maintenance on a battlefield of pull tabs/ring pulls and can slaw...I've started this project once before but got sidetracked and didn't finish the job. Today's the day...I'll be posting pictures of the battle later this afternoon if I survive. I hope to find at least one nice target amongst the battlefields debris field. We'll see...maybe I will find a real gold ring today....smiles.

HDD

Looks harmless enough...
3Loiavkh.jpg

The battle begins:
unQ1S9Fh.jpg

After one hour I am still only 10 feet from my truck, the battle rages on...my weapon of choice today is the Simplex, but the enemy has units everywhere...on my flank, on my six, straight ahead, no matter where I turn the cost of battle takes its toll. My stamina is about gone. I surrender to the constant bombarding from all points north south east and west...at approximately 2 hours into the battle I raise the white flag and take inventory of the battle. It's not pretty. Sandy don't look.
z39yE1nh.jpg

Note: All the coins except one dime and one quarter where found on other recent hunts as well as the key the fork and brass. The left side of the pic is the POW's I captured today.

Last edited:
I don't know how many times I have said, "One day, I'm going to dig out a small mountain of surface trash to get the good stuff underneath". That day never came lol.

You're a braver man than I :)

I always liked those hunts! Have to be up to the task though; it's not easy! The trick is to not burn yourself out in one hunt. Hammer that trash in measured attacks...repeatedly. Charge into battle, but know when to retreat, soldier. Live to fight another day.
Awaiting your report...

Okay the enemy had greater numbers than I had imagined. I barely got ten feet from where I parked my truck. After a two hour battle I raised the white flag and headed home in defeat and no immediate need to return to that battle field. I'll place a couple pics above.

HDD

H-Desert-digger : Newbies might read this post & think that digging aluminum till your arms fall off is : Some sort of "trick" to finding gold jewelry.

But no, the real "trick" to finding gold jewelry is : Location location location.

Because if someone's objective is to find gold jewelry, then why oh why oh why are they hunting in junky urban parks ? I can think of parks where a guy would get thousands of aluminum objects (tabs, can slaw, and foil blobs) before EVER getting a gold item.

Yet I can think of other places where I've gotten 3 to 5 gold rings in a day, with zero aluminum items. Namely : The wet salt beach after storms erode, leaving zero light-weight targets behind. So that EVERY target is a coin, or a fishing sinker or a car key, or a ring, etc....

Granted, not everyone has access to those conditions, but : Even for inland locations, there are better locations that junky blighted parks. Like volleyball court pits, sand wrestle pits, lake swim beaches, ski-lift lines after summer thaw, turf used exclusively for sports (with zero picnicking and eating), etc....

H-Desert-digger : Newbies might read this post & think that digging aluminum till your arms fall off is : Some sort of "trick" to finding gold jewelry.

But no, the real "trick" to finding gold jewelry is : Location location location.

Because if someone's objective is to find gold jewelry, then why oh why oh why are they hunting in junky urban parks ? I can think of parks where a guy would get thousands of aluminum objects (tabs, can slaw, and foil blobs) before EVER getting a gold item.

Yet I can think of other places where I've gotten 3 to 5 gold rings in a day, with zero aluminum items. Namely : The wet salt beach after storms erode, leaving zero light-weight targets behind. So that EVERY target is a coin, or a fishing sinker or a car key, or a ring, etc....

Granted, not everyone has access to those conditions, but : Even for inland locations, there are better locations that junky blighted parks. Like volleyball court pits, sand wrestle pits, lake swim beaches, ski-lift lines after summer thaw, turf used exclusively for sports (with zero picnicking and eating), etc....

All true Tom but I only started that thread just for fun. I certainly wasn't trying to "trick" anyone.

Tom I live in a small community of about 17,000 people more or less, our city parks (all 5 of them) get pounded by at least 10 visitors (MDer's) each week. I haven't had a significant tot lot find this year. I talked to a gentleman today who told me there were 2 guys in the park yesterday when he took his daily ride thru the park. He said he sees guys out there all the time. I suppose he could be lying but I do see signs every now and then.

As you mentioned location location location....I've have even used that term in a few of my threads....I know this very well. This is the deck of cards I've been dealt, I've lived here now for about 12 years and have been hitting the parks/schools and private permissions here in town for about 7 yrs.

I suppose I could drive to the nearest big city and take my chances on getting mugged or worse, but the biggest city closest to me has it's own army of MDer's.

There are no sandy beach's near by not even close, there are no volley ball courts that I and the others haven't pounded. Just what in the world is a sand wrestle pit? and ski line...like in Bear Mountain or Aspen?

We do have one swim beach on a state park here, and I have a permit to hunt it this year (after Labor Day) along with 12 other permit holders. I might start a thread about that and post a pic for you of us guys out on a small sandy beach about 200 yards long by about 25 feet wide.

As I said Tom your comments were all very true and I know you were just trying to be helpful, I was pretty pumped up this morning after finding those 3 gold aluminum rings yesterday and although I knew it was a long shot I felt like going for the real gold. That area has to have at least one gold ring in it....don't it? Smiles

Oh...and by the way newbies....you do have to dig 1000 pull tabs/rings pulls before you get your first gold ring. Or drive hundreds or maybe a thousand miles to find a nice target rich environment and do it in less than 20 pull tabs.

:lol:

HDD

Oh...and by the way newbies....you do have to dig 1000 pull tabs/rings pulls before you get your first gold ring.
HDD

You forgot foil :)

Paystreak mainly hunts trashy parks, and I recall him being asked what his gold ring to trash ratio was. He said 1000 to 1.

Like I recently told a Simplex owner looking for gold rings in a trashy park, that was totally fed up with digging trash:

Gold rings in parks are very rare. For every gold ring you find (if you find one at all), you'll have to dig a small mountain of trash.

You can cherry pick coins to the point that 95% of what you dig will be coins. If you want to waste a massive amount of time and effort to find a gold ring on land, then you might as well call yourself a trash collector.

Most agreed with what I said, but a few Simplex owners chimed in with the proverbial, "Dig everything to learn the trash tones!". To which I replied:

"Digging Everything" has it's place, but that place most certainly isn't in a trashy Park.

News flash: Most types of trash in parks, playgrounds, and sports fields have GREAT tones that are virtually indistinguishable from coins.

If you don't want that trash, then all you can do is dig only the coin ID's, or notch out everything except the coin ID's.

That's it. The end. Period

Last edited:
Good effort. With masking cover like that, it tells me the regular weekly hammerings there can't be too thorough. Maybe the next 10 feet holds the goods. GL & HH!

Note: All the coins except one dime and one quarter where found on other recent hunts as well as the key the fork and brass. The left side of the pic is the POW's I captured today.

And now someone slipped in early this morning and took all the silver and gold you unmasked yesterday :laughing:

Holy cow - my knees hurt just looking at that pile of trash!

I suppose the good news is (considering that pull tabs were largely discontinued by the mid-1980s) that spot probably hasn't been well-hunted and hopefully you have cleared the way to find any keepers hiding under all of that trash.

You've definitely put the work in - hope you can reap the rewards soon. HH!

Back
Top Bottom