Careful with ferrocheck on the legend

So gent is saying what?
If target shows some ferrous it could be good. And dig anyways.

Yeah. And if it shows no ferrous dig.

So what’s the benefit really? Of using and looking at, performing ferro check.
Sounds shaky to me.

Am I missing anything? With my interpretation.

The video shows Ferrocheck doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Of course there is a possibility that a ferrous and nonferrous target will be in the detection field at the same tme. That's why you mitigate such scenarios by doing things like using a different size coil, "honing" in on the target, listening to the type of tone, the ID, etc.

If you use the above methods then claiming, "you'll miss some good targets" is a truth, but that claim isn't seeing the bigger picture. The bigger picture is that if Ferrocheck is used correctly by also using the methods I mentioned, then you'll save a vast amount of time by not digging a lot of unwanted targets. That huge amount of time saved, means more time digging wanted targets. I've got many experiences of exactly that.

So gent is saying what?
If target shows some ferrous it could be good. And dig anyways.

Yeah. And if it shows no ferrous dig.

So what’s the benefit really? Of using and looking at, performing ferro check.
Sounds shaky to me.

Am I missing anything? With my interpretation.

Some of the metal detecting community hunts public parks and beaches for modern coins and jewelry where every step one takes there is visible modern aluminum and steel alloy trash along with plenty more of it just below the surface. FerroCheck, just like any form of visual and audible iron probability discrimination helps to deal with not having to dig so much obvious steel alloy trash like steel crown bottle caps, modern nails, screws, bolts, nuts.......etc.
No wiggling the coil for signal decay, interrogating a target from all angles, changing programs to check for ID/audio changes or turning up the iron volume to exhausting levels is necessary on these shallower, easy steel targets.

On the Legend, accept some or all of the iron target Id range, turn down the iron volume to a comfortable audible level, turn up the volume on the target area or areas you want to find and adjust tone pitches to suit ones hearing if using less than full tones and check the FerroCheck meter whenever there is a possible good target or a target to be avoided. Depending on ground mineralization, good non-ferrous targets in range will show all non-ferrous on the FerroCheck meter and from none to two or three bars on the ferrous side. Anything more than that along with plenty of alternating ferrous/non-ferrous audio and ferrous/non-ferrous target IDs is most likely a steel alloy target.

I have not had a chance to do much relic hunting with my Legend. I did get in one short hunt and again, FerroCheck was very effective in distinguishing steel alloy and older iron from non-ferrous. In my area with higher mineralization, the accuracy is good for roughly coin sized objects down to about 6".

In the beginning I dug everything in places that are full of modern trash. Now I don't have to. I do dig a couple of steel crown bottle caps on each hunt just to make sure I am interpreting what the Legend is telling me correctly.

It's just another possible iron identification tool similar to the horseshoe graph and XY graph on the Deus/Deus 2.

I will use FerroCheck even more when gold prospecting for shallow small gold where I am just looking for ferrous/nonferrous probability. I have used the Deus XY screen along with the ORX iron probability bar, Garrett 24K iron probability display and the Gold Monster 1000's iron probability bar for help identifying surface and near surface iron when using just one tone VCO audio.

The "gent's" name is Liam=History Revisited, by the way.

As with any meter on any detector it's just a reference. It takes a person getting to know their machine to know what to dig or not and even then you'll leave good things in the ground unless you dig everything. Just the nature of the beast.

I think the comments to the video are more entertaining than the video itself :D

Yeah.
Better watch that ferro check. No doubt.
Actually this video very telling where ferro check is used to check bottle cap and even a gold ring.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EJn8R-2Hn_I

Wide sweeps for proper ferro check use?
Yeah right.
Whoever came up with that was NOT a metal detectorsist surely.
You know I could ask. Why hasn’t another detector manufacturer came up with something like ferro check?
This is being portrayed it seems as revolutionary tech. It was talked about or showed in debut video of Legend too.
Based on all I have seen video wise from different Legend owners.
Ferro check not to be trusted.
Maybe only time to trust is if it gives hard fail on target. Mixed readings using ferro check just dig.

Ferrochech isn't some "be all and end all" tool. It's not meant to be able to identify every single bottle cap. It has trouble identifying shiny new bottle caps.

FC works very well on bottle caps that are in the ground and have begun to corrode, and that means most bottle caps that are in the ground. With my Legend, I can identify those corroded "in the ground" bottle caps with just about 100% accuracy up to about 6-7 inches. I've done this on numerous hunts when testing FC, and the latest of which was yesterday on a beach. Targets were so few and far between, that I was desperate to dig, plus, it was sand, so it was really easy to retrieve the target. Anyway, when FC showed some ferrous, it was one of those bottle caps almost every time. By "almost", I mean that occasionally the target turned out to be a piece of ferrous wire or some other ferrous junk.

The point is, when FC shows ferrous, it means there is ferrous material somewhere in the detection field. But, when a ferrous and nonferrous target are under the coil, then what FC shows, depends on where those targets are in relation to the DD coil's perimeter detection, and the detection strip from the toe to the heel of the coil.

The bottom line, is that FC is meant to identify most "in the ground" ferrous bottle caps, but you have to decide if that ferrous bottle cap is right beside a non ferrous target. That's going to depend on how trashy the site is, and the experience of the user. What I can say, and have experienced countless times (like many Legend owners have), is that if FC is used for what it's meant for, it will prevent digging up a lot of ferrous junk. It does not mean that it's going to prevent you from digging up every single bottle cap, but rather, ferrous bottle caps that are in the ground and have begun to corrode...and again, that means most bottle caps that are encountered.

One other thing, the "longer sweep" FC method isn't meant for trashy sites, as Calabash correctly alluded to. In trashy sites, you have to hone in on the good target, and decide on your own if FC is seeing a single target, or a combination of a ferrous and nonferrous target. Again, that comes down to how trashy the site is, and the experience of the user.

Last edited:
And so the $64,000 question is.
If and when Legend gets iron bias feature, how will affect ferro check reliability?
My hunch is, is gets even worse with lower iron bias used.
We’ll see.

I asked Nokta Makro about that before the Legend was publicly released. Apparently, the iron bias will work independently from Ferrocheck.

Ferrochech isn't some "be all and end all" tool.
One other thing, the "longer sweep" FC method isn't meant for trashy sites, as Calabash correctly alluded to. In trashy sites, you have to hone in on the good target, and decide on your own if FC is seeing a single target, or a combination of a ferrous and nonferrous target. Again, that comes down to how trashy the site is, and the experience of the user.

In thick modern trash when swinging normally (not tiny 1" long center of the coil spine swings) over possible steel mixed alloy targets like steel crown bottle caps that are in the effective range of FerroCheck, iron audio, iron target IDs and filling up of the ferrous side of the FerroCheck meter will happen. Depending on swing speed and quality of swing the iron audio will alert the user as long as the outer rim of the coil nears that mixed steel alloy target. If instead, a person (like in numerous CD videos) just zeros in on the bottle cap with the center spine of the DD coil, the non ferrous part of the steel bottle cap response will take over. So, instead of just making big sweeps......at least use both the center spine and outer rim of the coil to accurately identify steel crown bottle caps or smaller steel targets. Older mostly iron targets respond more consistently with iron responses everywhere on the Legend's coils.

I experience this exact same behavior with Deus 1 using its modes based on the Fast program. Swinging over a steel crown bottle cap with just the center spine will result in non-ferrous responses most of the time and the strongest ferrous responses are heard and seen the best when the outer edge of the search coil is just leaving the bottle cap.

The Equinox also shows this behavior too depending on the iron bias, iron audio and recovery speed settings.

Yeah.
Better watch that ferro check. No doubt.
Actually this video very telling where ferro check is used to check bottle cap and even a gold ring.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EJn8R-2Hn_I

Wide sweeps for proper ferro check use?
Yeah right.
Whoever came up with that was NOT a metal detectorsist surely.
You know I could ask. Why hasn’t another detector manufacturer came up with something like ferro check?
This is being portrayed it seems as revolutionary tech. It was talked about or showed in debut video of Legend too.
Based on all I have seen video wise from different Legend owners.
Ferro check not to be trusted.
Maybe only time to trust is if it gives hard fail on target. Mixed readings using ferro check just dig.

What are the XY and horseshoe profiles on Deus 1 and Deus 2.....speaking of other manufactures along with the iron probability bar on the ORX, Gold Monster 1000, Garrett/Whites 24K to name a few....?

As usual the video you linked to from CD is complete hogwash, manipulated testing and totally subjective opinions as far as the Legend is concerned. Nobody swings normally like that until the target is ready to be zeroed in.

Michelob Ultra mixed ferrous/non-ferrous steel and 14K gold ring 3" apart used for a FerroCheck "accuracy" test with the outer rim of the Legend's coil almost hitting the steel bottle cap while the center of the coil is over the ring..... You will get mixed ferrous/non-ferrous responses just like the video maker got when he swung the center of the Deus 2 coil over the ring and the edge of the coil over the steel bottle cap and the viewer could literally hear iron responses when he moved the coil just a little closer to the bottle cap. Of course, the video maker did not show the Deus 2 horseshoe screen when that happened. It would have showed a bouncing back and forth filled up ferrous and non-ferrous visual indication.

Why does XP recommend turning up the original Deus Silencer setting to level 4 for bottle caps???? Same with the Equinox. If F2 is on 9 the center of the Equinox coil and the edges will give a much more definitive iron response over bottle caps....even a CD Michelob Ultra. (I keep one in a nice little plastic bag for comparisons since it is a CD favorite). The same happens with Silencer on 4 using Deus 1......more of the center spine of the coil and most of the outer rim will indicate ferrous instead of just off the tip or edge with Silencer on -1 or 0.

Assuming, suggesting, insinuating, whatever it is you do....that the Legend's bottle cap identification will be worse when Nokta Makro finish their adjustable iron bias setting softwate........have you ever actually swung a Legend except in your imagination ?

Typical CD bash the Legend some more video.

Last edited:
jmaclen,

Yes, a proper sweep is ideally the best way to use Ferrocheck. What I'm more referring to, is honing in and using the wiggle method in a very trashy site to confirm the presence of a non ferrous target, and making sure FC is only seeing that ferrous target.

Either way, I know from numerous hunts and tests, that FC has saved me from digging a lot of ferrous junk, and according to other Legend owners, it's done the same for them as well.

jmaclen,

Yes, a proper sweep is ideally the best way to use Ferrocheck. What I'm more referring to, is honing and using the wiggle method in a very trashy site to confirm the presence of a non ferrous target, and making sure FC is only seeing that ferrous target.

Either way, I know from numerous hunts and tests, that FC has saved me from digging a lot of ferrous junk, and according to other Legend owners, it's done the same for them as well.

As has been stated and shown in many videos....the folly of identifying a mixed ferrous/non-ferrous steel target by using tiny center spine swings of the Legend's coil will result in mostly non-ferrous responses just like it will with most DD coils. If a person thinks that a target in thick trash may be a steel bottle cap, they need to also investigate the target with the outer edge of the Legend's coil. It doesn't matter how big the swing is at that point. Just use the edge of the coil to confirm mixed steel alloy or not.

As you know J, an experienced detectorist can make any detector fail or pass their preset test based on their intentions.

What's clear however, is that CD's only intention is being an XP shill and doing everything possible to stop people from buying a Legend. It's to the point that he's being despicably desperate and profoundly pathetic.

Yeah I manipulate coins, etc, and iron to see detector’s behavior/tendency.
That video link I posted. There’s something for the Legend user’s to learn I think.

For example.
Could a bottle cap be laying in closer proximity to gold ring, nickel or any other more worthy nonferrous.
And a user may in fact dig bottle cap stand up and walk off.
And leave their prize behind.
Yeah.
Folks should be paying attention. I am.

Ferrous check (in certain situations by way it behaves) may actually give clue to lurking nonferrous next to bottlecap.

Cheers.

Yeah I manipulate coins, etc, and iron to see detector’s behavior/tendency.
That video link I posted. There’s something for the Legend user’s to learn I think.

For example.
Could a bottle cap be laying in closer proximity to gold ring, nickel or any other more worthy nonferrous.
And a user may in fact dig bottle cap stand up and walk off.
And leave their prize behind.
Yeah.
Folks should be paying attention. I am.

Ferrous check (in certain situations by way it behaves) may actually give clue to lurking nonferrous next to bottlecap.

Cheers.

One can manipulate the combination of targets, their position and detector settings, to make any detector fail. The combination may be different for different detectors, but they can all be made to fail.

After digging a ferrous target, a good detectorist will spend an additional 10 seconds to re-sweep the are for detecting the presence of additional targets. Yes, some won't and that is one of the reasons a place is never fully hunted out.

Back
Top Bottom