1724 Cut Spanish 2 Reales Crowned Shield

TNTGross

Elite Member
Hello, let me start out by saying, I have no intention of selling this piece. But I have been looking online the past few days to determine the rarity and or possible "value" of this find. Significance or otherwise.

First off, I took it to a coin shop here in town and was told that it may be worth about $5.00. As it isn't in that great of shape, not a full coin, and has a hole in it. But, I do not believe he was fully informed on the piece. So I hope his estimate is not accurate.

Secondly, after I got it home, I was able to 'determine' that it is not one of, or part of, the more common Reales found in the Americas. That being the 1721 PHILIP V. Reales

Instead, as best as I can tell, it is part of a Luis I (Ludovicus) 1724 Spanish 2 Reales Crowned Shield. Only made in that year, 1724.

Luis I was the son of Phillip V and was only King of Spain for about 7 months before he died due to smallpox. This fact leads me to believe that fewer of his coins were made and even fewer made it to the Americas.

This determination came after seeing the L next to the Crown. The first letter in Ludovicus, on the shield side.

That being said, and if my determination is correct, that this is a 1724 Luis I coin, I believe it to be less common and possibly more unique than the more "common" Phillip V reales found here. If this changes the "value" significance or otherwise, I do not know.

If anyone could shed more light on this piece, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you...

Attachments

• 4-4-19 Spanish Real 02 (2).jpg
    4-4-19 Spanish Real 02 (2).jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 869
  • 4-4-19 Spanish Real 03 (2).jpg
    4-4-19 Spanish Real 03 (2).jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 813
  • spain_2_reales_1724.jpg
    spain_2_reales_1724.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 756
Not on expert on reales, but the photo of a complete coin sure looks like the same detail as on your own cut Reale. Is that “L” above a Roman numeral II unique to that design?

Hey jimther, Yea I am pretty sure that “L” above the Roman numeral II stands for Luis I (Ludouicus) who was only King for 7 months in 1724. His father Philip V was before... And then again after, the death of Luis. Philip V was on most coins of that time 1700 to 1746.

That is why I question the value/significance of this piece. As Luis I Two Reales were only made for less than a year.

I know this post is a few months old but:

Value of said coin is mostly the condition of Demand. If there are very few people interesting in owning this coin then price is low regardless of rarity or condition.

Unfortunately cobs really don't have much value. It really is a shame, I LOVE finding them but not much value to any.
The coin collector market is incredibly US focused. Take for example a coin the in the US was "low mintage" like a 1916 D Merc dime, they made 264,000 of them! It books at about 1000 bucks in bad condition. Compare that to a nice big and honestly FAR more rare Mexico 1914 one peso Caballito which is similar size to a morgan, and it's valued at only $650 in bad condition and they only minted 120,000 of them. I can tell you those are FAR more rare in reality but just not valued like US coins...

First off, I took it to a coin shop here in town and was told that it may be worth about $5.00. ....
Instead, as best as I can tell, it is part of a Luis I (Ludovicus) 1724 Spanish 2 Reales Crowned Shield. Only made in that year, 1724.
Unfortunately cobs really don't have much value.

Yeah, good luck TNT. I was at a local shop and seen similar ones in a grab bag for $20-100 each. Another customer told me he buys them for $5-10 each. so maybe wholesale vs. retail?

I was fortunate to find an old cobb on a South Carolina beach years ago. I was like you. The piece will never leave me, but I wanted to know more about it. I was directed toward a fellow named Daniel Sedwick. He is an expert on these pieces and was more than happy to provide me with loads of information on my old cobb from an emailed photo. If you Google Sedwick Coins, his website will show up and his email is on the website. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom