To sell/Trade AT Pro or Keep?

Fieryafterburnr

I've been using the At Pro for about a year now. Been using it the entire time with the stock coil. It's found me some coins and relics but I feel it is outdated and heavy. My main problem with it is the weight. My arm is DONE after a five hour hunt.

I see that the Pro with stock coil weighs about 3 lbs. I did some research and see the Nokta Simplex, Quest Q20, and Nox 600 all weigh about 2.9 lbs. I feel that a .1 pound weight difference wouldn't make much of a difference. Balance in a machine is probably most important.

So, should I get a machine that is lighter or has better balance OR maybe get a light 5x8 coil for the pro so I can keep swinging?

Thanks for any comments/suggestions!

I've been using the At Pro for about a year now. Been using it the entire time with the stock coil. It's found me some coins and relics but I feel it is outdated and heavy. My main problem with it is the weight. My arm is DONE after a five hour hunt.

I see that the Pro with stock coil weighs about 3 lbs. I did some research and see the Nokta Simplex, Quest Q20, and Nox 600 all weigh about 2.9 lbs. I feel that a .1 pound weight difference wouldn't make much of a difference. Balance in a machine is probably most important.

So, should I get a machine that is lighter or has better balance OR maybe get a light 5x8 coil for the pro so I can keep swinging?

Love the 5 x 8 for yards and parkks.

Give it a try before you part with the pro.

.1 lbs will not make any difference. It's all about ergonomics. The Nox is not ergonomic. I can't comment about the Simplex or Q20. I personally wouldn't buy anything from Quest. If you can find a cheap used 5x8 for the Pro, try that and see how it works for you. If you don't like it, sell all of it as a package deal and change detectors. Maybe you could wait for the Apex to hit the market.

For me the Simplex is easier to swing and feels lighter but I think its due to the balance point. Simplex is definitely coil heavy comparing stock to stock which I think makes it feel lighter in the hand and easier to swing.

In the two days I've had my Simplex I do like it better. Maybe new detector syndrome but it definitely seems to work better as well.

The 5x8 coil on the AT makes a big difference as far as weight, but it isn't as deep as the stock coil unless your soil is tough for your stock coil anyway. For many people the 5x8 is deep enough.

The larger Thunder coil is a bear, but I switch arms with it.

I don't use the stock coil much on the AT. I'd rather use the stock coil on the Nox. I can swing it all day. For me, with the stock coils on, the perceived weight of the Nox is lighter than the perceived weight of the AT.

I don't have a problem swinging the nox all day. I do have a loop hand strap attached to the grip and it makes a big difference. Not so much with weight per se, but with how firm I feel like I have to grip it to stop my hand from riding up the grip towards the control box. With the loop strap I barely have to hold the grip. I don't think the same concept would help the AT and stock coil seem less nose heavy.

I have been using the 5by8 coil for 9 years, what a weight difference!! I agree and don't use stock coil.
If you need perfect balance get a Fisher F70/75!
Maybe a Xp Deus but those are very pricey.

OK, I should probably try to get a 5x8 coil for the Pro. That will probably help. But I am thinking about getting a Nox 600. I want something a little newer (although it will probably just make things more complicated for me LOL).

My AT gold with the 5x8 is unbalanced and still causes fatigue after an hour or so, now just use it for river/stream hunting.

My XP ORX weighing in under 2lbs, extremely well balanced, powerful, fast, very versatile, well up to date, a unit can be swung all day, a must look and see (XP America). Priced right and the quality of XP really stands out, sturdy, ergonomic, and no tree hanger coil wire where coil wire loops up to control box, like Notka & NOX's.

Or since you already know the language of Garrett detectors, maybe the new Apex would be the right fit.

Plus one on the XP Deus. None better. Next choice would be the wonderful XP ORX.
Both these detectors perform excellent and they are extremely light.
Long warranty on the XP detectors.
The only way I could keep swinging the ATP, when I had them, was with that great 5x8” coil.
I’d wait for the Apex before I invested $ in the AT Pro. IMHO. Good Luck!

5 hours is a long time for any repetitive motion. I think you should consider yourself lucky it's only your arm that's done after that long. I bet some stretching exercises, changing your grip, switching arms, and taking an occasional break would help as much or more than a new machine.

Back
Top Bottom