check out this pin i found with ace 350

73transam

i had a good hit around the base of this big pine tree on our land so i dug it but couldnt find it. it kept saying quarter penny. so i dug and waved my detector over the hole and it was saying it was under this big root so i figure must be something in the root setting it off. well this week i bought a garrett pro pointer and found it. man is that pro pointer the best.
here are some pics. if anyone knows somewhat a date on it please give me your guess, also do you think the middle is ivory? oh yeah it was about 8 inches down so its probably been there a good while. our house was built in 1948 but the next door house was built 1855 so i am thinking maybe who every owned that house back in the day lost it?????
thanks rich

Picture1081204956.jpg

Picture1081204955.jpg

Picture1081204957.jpg

Wow! Very cool find.... Congrats! Definitely looks to be late 1800's or early 1900's. I have heard of ivory being in the center of pins like that before but I have no clue if it is or not. :grin:

Wow! Very cool find.... Congrats! Definitely looks to be late 1800's or early 1900's. I have heard of ivory being in the center of pins like that before but I have no clue if it is or not. :grin:

thanks,
yeah it was definetly a suprise. i agree with you i think 1800's to early
1900's.
i wonder how you find out if it is ivory?

Nice find, I hope my 350 finds things like that! Snow still on the ground here.

that is an amazingly cool find. congrats =)

I've spent a few minutes looking around online and while I havent found it specifically, I think its a "cameo brooch" of some kind.

heres what ya do to find out.. get a sewing needle, heat it up with a match, on the back of the broach, see if the heated needle goes thru the inside of the broach, if it does, its plastic.. if it doesnt, it either hardstone or possibly shell carved.. any clue on what the base metal might be, and is there any markings on it.. if its sterling that could be why its so dirty looking try cleaning it with a toothbrush and soap..just to see if any markings are on it. either way, super cool find.

Looks old to me but no idea on the date. The GF will be back in a few and she might have some thoughts on it-she's been a gem and jewerly collector for years.

good job on finding that other photo 73transam.

Apparently the guy who took that photo was Timothy Hughes and he has a website
http://www.th-photo.net/
http://www.th-photo.net/contact.html
you can possibly contact him and ask him for more information on that brooch though based on the info on the stock photo you found he took that picture almost 4 years ago, he may not remember it or have any information on it. Might be worth a try though

I would say it is probably late 1800's to early 1900's. The center I would say is carved shell due to the pink undertones, and shell like inclusions you can see on the bottom of the piece. Using shell is very common especially with the Italians, and of course would have been hand carved. It sure is a nice vintage find. Congrats!! :)

Silversmith45 is correct in stating ivory would have a grain, and if not treated properly would show typical ivory pitting.

Gemmy
(Jean)

Last edited:
good job on finding that other photo 73transam.

Apparently the guy who took that photo was Timothy Hughes and he has a website
http://www.th-photo.net/
http://www.th-photo.net/contact.html
you can possibly contact him and ask him for more information on that brooch though based on the info on the stock photo you found he took that picture almost 4 years ago, he may not remember it or have any information on it. Might be worth a try though

thanks, yeah i will try to contact him and see what he says.

I would say it is probably late 1800's to early 1900's. The center I would say is carved shell due to the pink undertones, and shell like inclusions you can see on the bottom of the piece. Using shell is very common especially with the Italians, and of course would have been hand carved. It sure is a nice vintage find. Congrats!! :)

Silversmith45 is correct in stating ivory would have a grain, and if not treated properly would show typical ivory pitting.

Gemmy
(Jean)

i did take a look online and you are right it says they were made of shell.

thats an awesome find and in great condition. very nice find indeed.

Cameo Brooch

This is one of those cameo brooches used from the
late 1800's to the early 1900's.
Here a photo from my great-great parents in Switzerland.
She wears one of those. - Great find!

Attachments

• urgrosseltern 1.jpg
    urgrosseltern 1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,171
  • urgrosseltern 2.jpg
    urgrosseltern 2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,144
Back
Top Bottom