Big gold coin!!!!

GStout76

Forum Supporter
I hope I got your attention. I went out earlier today, Sunday August 26th, after going to the temple then taking the wife and boys to lunch. We had a really nice and peaceful morning. The wife wanted to nap after we got home and gave the OK to go detecting for the rest of the afternoon!

I don't want to be to descriptive on the place that I went (competition), so I won't go into the details of the settings, but I will tell you how the dig went.

I started off with a couple random wheats and was making my way to an area that a friend and I had identified as a possible area of interest. I started detecting the area and right on top of the dirt was a 27 wheat. This area is frequented by a large family of gophers and they are always digging up stuff for us to find. Although, it did appear that this area had just had a lot of new fill added. I saw a couple pieces of broken china in this dirt that looked old so I continued on in this area. Not more than a minute after finding the 27 wheat, I got a really steady mid tone signal of 11-37/12-37 all the way around at about 4 inches. I thought it was going to be a screw cap, but since I just got that old wheat on top of the this soil, I though I had a chance at another early wheat or even an indian. Although the pinpoint was larger than a penny, so I figured my first assumption was right and it was going to be a screw cap.

So I just stuck the BuzZilla (thanks Orlando!) in behind where I pinpointed and popped the dirt out. Out came a flash of gold and landed in the little pile with some clod dirt still sticking to it. It really surprised me to see a coin and the first thought was it was a Sacajewa/Presidential dollar, but those ring up as quarters! :?:

I looked up to the sky and prayed to the gohonzon (my deity) and asked for it to be gold! I picked it up, picked off the dirt clod on one side and saw the Mexican eagle and saw the date of 1919! :shock::shock::shock: I was by myself with a few other "undesirables" lying around about 100 yards away from me, so I just cleaned the other side and put it in my pocket and walked to my car to get my phone I had forgotten there.

I called a couple friends to let em know what I had found and they were just as excited for me as I was for myself! Well maybe not as excited but there were definitely excited for me.

Well here it is, it does have a hole drilled on top, but I don't care. It is still beautiful to me and it is BIG! It is a 20 Peso Mexican Libertad. I never thought I would find a gold coin, let alone one this BIG!

My first gold coin and my first gold of the year.

front.jpg

Back

back.jpg

Comparison to my Morgan I found last year in a Burbank park.

comparison.jpg

I only cleaned it with water and a soft tooth brush. All the dirt came off after I let the water run over it and then lightly swirled the toothbrush over it. I left some dirt in the little drilled hole for those that may try to discredit my find. I was so excited when I got home, I just wanted to see it shine.

Thanks for looking and what a day!

Greg

Last edited:
Awesome find, all my years of detecting I've never found a Gold Coin, found gold nuggets but not the coin. CONGRATULATIONS:yes::yes:

Congrats!! What is 20 pesos worth today?? I did not know they had gold peso coins. 2nd gold coin on the forum tonight...crazy.

Edit: Just looked up the conversion. 20 pesos today would only be worth $1.51. Haha. Now I just wonder what the exchange rate was back then to put 20 pesos on such a big gold piece??

Holy smokes! That's a beauty! Congrats on a find of a lifetime! Maybe there's a few more waiting for you out there! :yes:

Congrats!
G2M

Wow! First gold coin i seen drilled! My grandfather used to buy gold coins in Mexico a loooong time ago.His was stolen after he passed away.Relatives:mad: Drilled gold coin is still worth its weight in gold.Get it checked just in case.In your area,they definitely aren't uncommon though.Wonder if the hole was to sew it in their clothes?

Greg, just one word, AMAZING! It was awesome to hear how excited you were when you called me after finding it. I really wish I would have been there to see the look on your face. Congrats and good luck topping that beauty! I can't wait to see it in person. :yes:
Jason

Thanks everyone! I was completely elated when I found and still am looking at it and not believing I found it.

Itsaring - That is a different take on why the hole is there. I though, with the placement above the eagle head, it was for a necklace. I can't believe how detailed it is.

Again thanks everyone, I think I may post to the minelab forum to see if I can win something!

Greg

Last edited:
A Big Congrats on the GOLD!!!!! Its a beauty!!! The detail on the front is amazing. It may have been sewn on a piece of clothing back in the days, Like a hat or belt of some sort who knows. Anyway it is an AWSOME find of a lifetime, but knowing Greg there will be many more awsome finds to come. I cant stop thinking about it, wish I was there to see it come out of the hole and do the happy dance!!!!! Congrats Again Greg!!!!!!!!!

Wow! What an amazing find that's a 800-900 hundred dollar coin I know because I've been trying to buy one for a while! What a beautiful coin I can't imagine the feeling , and with the price of the yellow metal going up its probably worth more then that! But it's probably priceless to you because you found it , congratulations and happy hunting!

It's drilled, so it was probably on a gold chain. Go back and look for the gold chain. Awesome coin, what's the weight? :waytogo:

Thanks everyone for the words. I definitely will have to work pretty hard to top this one.

As for the weight, it is .53 Troy ounces of 90 % pure gold. I think the weight alone is worth about $800 on today's market, but this is going to go in the "Do not sell" vault.

I submitted it to the Minelab forum, wish me luck!

Good luck and happy hunting.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom