Bounty Hunter TK4

SnakeSpiritDude

Hello there!
I am getting into metal detecting, and I was wondering if the Bounty Hunter TK4 would be a good fit for finding relics and coins mostly, nothing to crazy. If any of you out there have any suggestions on other types I should check out, I'm all ears!

It's a good starter detector, my Dad started with it and found many coins. But it isn't a depth master. So it puts some relics out or reach. If you can afford it I would look at a detector with more options.

The Tracker IV is a decent starter but for a little more you can get a lot better performance and features. The best detector under $150 imo is the Quest X5. Under $200 the Quest X10 and the Vanquish 330. The Quest only con is made in china. I've never used the vanquish but they have good reviews from reputable members. Their con is lack of pinpointed and features. You may look at a used Makro Simplex too.

I started with a BH Prospector which is nearly the same as the TK 4 only with a smaller coil(?). I found silver coins and a gold ring with it, had lots of fun getting into the hobby with it. Eventually went for a Compadre for a few more years and found a lot of good stuff, then a year and 1/2 or so, sold gold found with the last two and bought a Nox 800.... :)

Welcome aboard!

If you have a Hobby Lobby in your area they sell them for / tracker IV Metal Detector
4.5 stars8 reviews
Your Price item with disclaimer below
$79.99

Hobby Lobby

Dang dude, I had no idea they sold detectors. Thanks for that. "Arts and Crafts", yeah right!

They only carry 2 models the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and the junior (kids) model. I picked up one there a couple of years ago for a relative in the Philippines that liked the one i brought over with me. I added the 4"coil to mine for trashy areas that works good. Still have mine Bounty hunter Tracker IV as a back up never had a issue with it and it has traveled 1/2 way around the world twice. Another detector you might look into is a Bounty Hunter discovery 3300 more features and similar to the Fisher F4 (same company owns both brands ) i picked up one at Costco 2 years ago on sale for $85.00 .They have had them the last 2 years but only as a Christmas item then gone. Don't know if they a carrying them this year or not. You should find a number of videos on both models on the internet.

They only carry 2 models the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and the junior (kids) model. I picked up one there a couple of years ago for a relative in the Philippines that liked the one i brought over with me. I added the 4"coil to mine for trashy areas that works good. Still have mine Bounty hunter Tracker IV as a back up never had a issue with it and it has traveled 1/2 way around the world twice. Another detector you might look into is a Bounty Hunter discovery 3300 more features and similar to the Fisher F4 (same company owns both brands ) i picked up one at Costco 2 years ago on sale for $85.00 .They have had them the last 2 years but only as a Christmas item then gone. Don't know if they a carrying them this year or not. You should find a number of videos on both models on the internet.
Hmm, interesting.
Thanks for the advice on that, i'll be sure to make a choice soon so I can get to it.:D

Hello there!
I am getting into metal detecting, and I was wondering if the Bounty Hunter TK4 would be a good fit for finding relics and coins mostly, nothing to crazy. If any of you out there have any suggestions on other types I should check out, I'm all ears!

If you want a budget level detector the Tracker IV is not a bad choice, it is inexpensive enough that you won't mind if you later upgrade to a higher price model and keep the Tracker IV as a backup.

Not sure how close a "Hobby Lobby" might be to your location, but here is the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV detector for $79.99

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Kids-Crafts-Activities/Science-Educational/Tracker-IV-Metal-Detector/p/27250

https://www.hobbylobby.com/stores/search

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Review Demonstration and How To Operate

EDIT TO ADD: I just noticed you want one with a waterproof coil and while I have read that the coil itself (not the control box) is supposed to be waterproof I have read mixed reviews about that aspect of it, I had only used the one I started out with on dry land so can't speak from personal experience.

Last edited:
If you want a budget level detector the Tracker IV is not a bad choice, it is inexpensive enough that you won't mind if you later upgrade to a higher price model and keep the Tracker IV as a backup.

Not sure how close a "Hobby Lobby" might be to your location, but here is the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV detector for $79.99

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Kids-Crafts-Activities/Science-Educational/Tracker-IV-Metal-Detector/p/27250

https://www.hobbylobby.com/stores/search

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Review Demonstration and How To Operate

EDIT TO ADD: I just noticed you want one with a waterproof coil and while I have read that the coil itself (not the control box) is supposed to be waterproof I have read mixed reviews about that aspect of it, I had only used the one I started out with on dry land so can't speak from personal experience.
Ah. You see, I was planning on checking some beaches for jewelry, but I was not planning on hitting the water so I might be safe.

Costco sold the Bounty hunter Discovery 3300 last 2 years cheep

Here is a link with more information on the Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and even shows a skid of them at Costco and what they were selling for last Christmas / https://www.detectorprospector.com/...-metal-detector-discovery-3300-bounty-hunter/

I stopped into Costco Monday to see if they had the Discovery 3300.
The employee i talked to said they just set up a display of metal detectors and led me to them.
I was disappointed to see it was an apparently lesser model, the Discovery Pro.

It was $99.99 but appeared to lack the manual ground control and the pinpoint feature.

Ironically you can order the Discovery 3300 with more features for the same price of $99.99 from the Costco website.

Shipping is under $5. Yes, you have to be a member though.

Discovery 3300

i was going to buy a discovery 3300 online at costco,till i saw you have to be a member to get it at that price,an additional 60.00

do you have a friend or relative with a Costco membership ? We have had a membership there for years and love it. We just ordered a new dishwasher and had it shipped to our daughters house in a diffrent state. I was just looking on Amazon and they had the Discovery 3300 for $ 124.67 with free shipping

Back
Top Bottom