Deus or Nox 800?

vjmelancon35

I'm ready to upgrade from my AT Pro, and I had set my sites on a Deus, but it's impossible to ignore all the praise for the Nox 800.

I like hunting for everything from relics to coins. I would like to be able to water hunt every once in a while, but I could always use my AT Pro for that.

If cost wasn't a factor which would you guys choose, and why? Or would you recommend another detector altogether in the $2K and under range?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I’m biased, but the new Deus with X35 coil is the way I’d go as long as you have your AT for your water hunts.

I too am biased but you can't go wrong with a deus, truly an awesome rugged little machine! Proven durability (to me) as my deus has endured much abuse and still finds great things. X35 coils are very good and the mi6 that speaks through the headphones is cool too!

I hear good things about the nox too but they do not have the track record yet to be a real consideration for me. I don't like their wired coil either. I have spent much time with only my coil and headphone module crawling under brush digging silver and relics in an overgrown military camp.

just my thoughts...

You can't go wrong with either. I liked the Deus with the new HF oval coil ever so slightly better than the EQ 800, but I'd go for the EQ 800 over the Deus with a LF coil any day.

I like 'em both. I've been using the Nox more lately just because the new hasn't worn off yet but both are great machines. For hunting sites with modern trash I'd probably choose the Nox.

I got the nox 800 for several reasons 1.low price compared to deus
2. Water proof and works in saltwater.
3 fast recovery speed
4. Lightweight
5. Easy menu.
Deus is a great detector from what I've seen but too many menu layers etc.

I'm ready to upgrade from my AT Pro, and I had set my sites on a Deus, but it's impossible to ignore all the praise for the Nox 800.

I like hunting for everything from relics to coins. I would like to be able to water hunt every once in a while, but I could always use my AT Pro for that.

If cost wasn't a factor which would you guys choose, and why? Or would you recommend another detector altogether in the $2K and under range?

I also want to add that I'm going to go back to my At pro soon now that the weather is coolingdown.

3 fast recovery speed
4. Lightweight
5. Easy menu.

This was how I decided as well...especially when a guy needed to go to a 'boot camp' weekend to learn how to run the Deus...There aint no bootcamp weekends for the NOX! Thanks to the wonderful vids and chatter here by the Forum Members!...a guy can turn it on and get hunting right out of the box (after a charge up of course)

The AtPro is no slouch either though! That rig has made a lot of Hunters a lot of finds in all Genres of this Sport...

Another thing to consider between the Deus and the NOX is the potential for Resale if you dont like it..the NOX is hot on the resale market right now...holds the value and will sell quickly for another year or so I figure...

Equinox is a waterproof Deus that works pretty good on land too but its heavier weight relegates it to only backup use on land for me

Unlike Mud Puppet 5 years ago I wasn't intimidated by the mighty Deus and got one then. I am more of a relic hunter then my buddy Gerald (tabman) and talked him into a Deus and showed him how to run it and program it and now he cleans the silver up with it. I had the Nox 800 for about 50 hours use and it didn't stack up to my CTX 3030 for old coins in modern trash and didn't stack up to the XP Deus in heavy iron with the 9in HF coil. If your primarily a relic hunter with old coin hunting on the side, the new Deus with X35 coil would be my choice. If a beach hunter with trips inland here and there the Nox would be a good choice.

This was how I decided as well...especially when a guy needed to go to a 'boot camp' weekend to learn how to run the Deus...There aint no bootcamp weekends for the NOX! Thanks to the wonderful vids and chatter here by the Forum Members!...a guy can turn it on and get hunting right out of the box (after a charge up of course)

The AtPro is no slouch either though! That rig has made a lot of Hunters a lot of finds in all Genres of this Sport...

Another thing to consider between the Deus and the NOX is the potential for Resale if you dont like it..the NOX is hot on the resale market right now...holds the value and will sell quickly for another year or so I figure...

Granted the deus is a bit of a complex creature but that is what makes it so versatile. I believe there were also ctx boot camps and if someone smells a dollar there will be nox boot camps as well.

Thanks for all the good input--its given me lots to think about. These two machines remind me a lot of the debate between Android and iPhone. Android allows we computer nerds to configure and tweak to our hearts delight; whereas the iPhone is restricted but easy to use. User-control versus user-friendly.

As much as I can see the benefits of the Nox, my not-so-inner geek is calling for the Deus! At least for today...until the next Nox video comes out and tempts me again...*sigh*

For me the the light weight and portability of the Deus is probably it's best feature.
I have had a DFX and an eTrac and when I pick them up now they feel very dated and clumsy compared to the Deus.
The ability to collapse the Deus for transport without wires in your way truly sets it apart from all others.
Before I bought mine I was a little worried about the overall build quality and its toughness. After I got it and was able to really look it over up close ( take it apart) I am really impressed with the quality of the materials and how precision it all fits together.
Being an Engineer I look at how the various parts are fastened together, Are there rivets , two sided tape and sloppy fits designed for fast assembly at the expense of durability and repairability? The Deus handle assembly is very precise and there are threaded steel inserts swedged into the aluminum shaft where the plastic handle parts are mated to the main shaft. No sheet metal screws or rivets to work loose. The overall build quality reminds me more of a high quality gun than a metal detector.
Performance wise it seems the Nox and the deus are equal so do yourself a favor and make sure to actually hold each in your hand before buying.

Thanks for all the good input--its given me lots to think about. These two machines remind me a lot of the debate between Android and iPhone. Android allows we computer nerds to configure and tweak to our hearts delight; whereas the iPhone is restricted but easy to use. User-control versus user-friendly.

As much as I can see the benefits of the Nox, my not-so-inner geek is calling for the Deus! At least for today...until the next Nox video comes out and tempts me again...*sigh*

I own both the Deus as well as the Equinox 600 & 800 and have a bit of experience on both. Hands down I think the Deus is a better machine and very versatile.

This is a though one, ive been pondering about adding to my arsenal again. And believe these are pretty close in capabilities. Each has a couple things I like and a couple things I dislike.

3 fast recovery speed
4. Lightweight
5. Easy menu.

Thinking 3 and 4 might go towards the XP, from what I've read.

I keep thinking that it's likely that XP will release a competitive multifreq coil and software in the near future. It's just so configurable, that there are lots of possibilities.

I keep thinking that it's likely that XP will release a competitive multifreq coil and software in the near future. It's just so configurable, that there are lots of possibilities.

Sooner or later the Deus will run into a hardware limit. Then look for a Deus 2. The coils for the Deus are a considerable cost. For another Benjamin I picked up a barely used 600. The Equinox still has issues. Coins on edge, bottle caps are two. If you hunt water the choice is a no brainer. I have owned them both....for strictly land hunting I would invest in a Deus. Not a bad time to make the leap. The latest coils offer so much. The older Deus owners or pioneers have seen those expensive coils dwindle in price and use. Sometimes the updates and upgrades hurt the wallet. You can skip all of that.

I wanted to like the Equinox but I never clicked with it... The tones on the Deus in my opinion are much nicer. The Equinox seems slow compared to the Deus. Good luck with your choice.

I own both the Equinox 800 and the XP Deus.
On the Deus I use the small HF Elliptical Coil and 9” HF Round Coil.
Both coils I really like and makes the lightest detector even lighter. So if you have any shoulder problems I highly recommend the Deus.
I’m a beach hunter and love using the Equinox on the sand, wet sand and at the waters edge. It’s perfect for that.
I use the Deus at the beach as well and have found some incredible stuff. Although my Elliptical Coil does great on the sand/damp sand it’s not as great in the saltwater. That’s where the 800 comes in.
I wouldn’t want to be without either detector. I know, I’m no help. lol!

Back
Top Bottom