New here and new to metal detecting.

mohawk918

Hey y'all. Here in St Augustine FL and am first day into metal detecting. I purchased a Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 for $45 yesterday and just finished up my first hunt. My in-laws live downtown and on there lot there used to be a horse stall and 100s of years ago was some building from the spaniards. We have found irons, horseshoos, and even an old Spaniard guard spear part. Today we went out and found tons and tons of nails and some other metal that we don't know what it is. Got a lil tired of all the nails but it was still fun. We were hoping to find some cannon balls or musket balls but nothing. The mother in law wouldn't let me search the whole area cause they have put new sod down about 5 months ago and she was scarred I would mess up the yard.
Ok so bow that you know what I've gone through so far I want to learn more. Where should I start here in this forum and what all should I know. I also don't want to constantly be digging up junk unless that is part of it. It was still fun though.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

If you're gonna keep hitting that yard, just keep digging. You have to clear out the bad to get to the good and if you're looking for big iron relics cancel your gym membership and learn to dig with both hands, you know to keep your mass balanced.

Hello form Wisconsin! Wish I could find Spanish stuff here...

I would turn off iron since it hinders your finds. But my advice is to just keep at it!

I'm figuring out that junk is just a fact of life with MD. Doesn't seem where you go or the age of the area there is always some junk....:laughing:

Welcome from Texas. If you are detecting a site that old and with that much history, just dig everything, even the iron. You might dig up some very interesting iron relics.

Back
Top Bottom