Pull tabs vs Good finds

gcollins

I injoyed the topic on wheats vs merc's!
The reason I ask this is, In my younger days I was very active in all kinds of hobbies, hunting, fishing, dirt bikes, drag racing, ect., as I have got older and slower, I have took up metal detecting (alot kinder to the body) and I am sure I am more lacks in working so hard to have fun, now here is the deal. I started off with a simple non metered detector and now have moved up to a ID machine (LAZY?)
How many of you folks dig everything?
How many of you folks dig the so called good targets?
From what I can read, gold coins will ID as a pulltab!
The pro's say "The better you know your machine, The better your finds will be"! I have yet to find a machine that will define the diff. between a pull tab and a GOLD COIN , Is this right?
So Last BUT NOT LEAST Do you dig them all, and I don't mean the targets that will detect bigger than a coin. I need your comments.
Someday I hope that I will have something to give back to this forum!
Thanks Greg

I tend to dig most signals, except the obvious iron ones.
(when there's a big signal at 6"+ )
I also run very little discrimination, unless the site is heavily
contaminated.

In fields, at cellar holes & in the woods I will usually dig everything except iron. At ball fields & parks I will dig pull tabs & other junk until I get tired of it. The pull tab signals tend to give a pretty consistent I.D. at each park I frequent (I think the beer drinkers at each park have their favorite brand) so if I get an I.D thats slightly different then I will dig. I found a 1932 gold class ring by doing this. It I.D'd in the pull tab range but the signal was slightly different than what I had been getting for pull tabs.
Hope this helps.

I took the day off work and went out. I dug a lot of pulltabs, but I also dug an 18k men's gold band. I'll post a pic tonight. Came up as a VDI of 34 on the MXT (pulltab range).

Nice going OD... I think that ring was supposed to be found by me instead of the imitation ring I found today :D

I dig everything untill I get tired or sore. then I get selective. I will however go back another day and rehunt a spot I got lazy on. Cladius.

dig everything!!!

I have an MXT and today I found a silver cross that showed as foil, I have found that necklaces show up as foil, I dig too many pull tabs, but I would hate to leave that small ring or coin that Id's the same, I usually leave when I get too tired to dig and come beck next day or in better weather, I have also found when you pick up the trash out of parks the grounds keepers have less and less problems with detectorists when they see that you are actually helping keep the place clean. a long two cents but it works!!!

I try to dig it all or until i get bored. I always go back and hit it again(old homesteads and wooded lots. But im selective when im at the parks, schools, or i try to be. :grin:

If the site is packed with pull tabs and trash I will go to the coin mode. At home sites I run little disc. just notch out the iron.
Congrats on the ring OD.

Cfmct-PI said:
Nice going OD... I think that ring was supposed to be found by me instead of the imitation ring I found today :D

HA! You find more gold rings in a week then I do in a year. You gotta let me have a couple every now and then :P

I myself got my MD just for pull tabs . well thats what i thought at first since it the only thing i was finding .

I pretty much dig it all except the iron reading or sounds. If I get a stong tone, I'll dig it. Last summer I found a very nice gold ring that on the display showed up as foil.

pultabs and rings

Lately I have been searching in hunted out parks,and since thr persons to search before me got all the coins (or most of them)I am using the lowest notch on my Prizm4.Nothing to brag about my 3 day total is about 2$,But as I am digging plenty of pulltabs and Pullrings i know the gold must still be there.
But I plan to buy an xlt soon,And then will sample the most common types I have been digging for rejection.

I only try to get a reject signal/tone on the smallest of nails. With the XLT I accept from plus 95 way down into the reject numbers.
On the beach I prefer a P.I. so no real rejection but I can tell ringpulls from most gold rings as long as I am using that machine every day. A week off and I have to relearn the response difference as its so slight.
I use to ignore deep larger targets for many years but never found a hoard. Now I give them much more attention and have had a few small hoards since. Does involve a lot more digging though and normally it is a large bit of rubbish.

From what I can gather foil usually doesnt' go very deep in the ground...maybe a few inches....I have dug it up at 3 or 4 inches. but if you get a foil reading that pinpoints deeper you better dig it as this is where they say some good stuff will be.

True YARDBYRD. I dug a foil reading at 7" once. I knew it couldn't be foil that deep where I was at. Ended up being an old watch. Worthless, but still a good lesson in detecting ;)

Man, all those places I hunted with my old machine that I had the disc. set to null out foil :shock: :?: :( Wonder what I was passing up.

Over here if the farmer deep ploughs then the surface rubbish is taken straight down to as much as 18 inches. On the plus side deep items are turned up towards the surface though they may not be detectable for some time until the soil settles and the coin flattens out.

Back
Top Bottom