Homesite indicators

TerryEastTexas

Forum Supporter
I went hunting for some old home sites today. The area was overgrown with small trees and bushes. I got to looking around for indicators such as trees, shrubs and perrinials that aren't native to the area. As I got ready to go home I found a patch of perrinials flowers. Next time I go back I can go right to the flowers and start from there.

In a field where my parents live I have found some old clay drainage pipe. still has water coming from it, and no sighn of an old homesite anywhere around. Could this be a sighn to detect there?

Strack, down state from me the farm fields have a lot of clay drainage pipes in them. Its fairly low land, and without good drainage the tractors would have a nasty time plowing during wet weather. But, I would not rule out finding something there. Never gonna know unless you try. :yes:

Right Terry 55, I use indicators all the time to decide whether an area has an old homesite.I remember for example that one time while Mtn. Biking on an old Mtn. road I saw a Lilac bush near the road out in the middle of the Boonies and realized that Lilacs are not native. I found a foundation back off the road that paid off on some nice finds.....Smart research almost always pays dividends.........Blitz

Well Blitz you found my secret, lilac bushes. I think every old homestead in Pennsylvania had them. Spotting lilac bushes has led me to many old cellar holes.

l.cutler said:
Well Blitz you found my secret, lilac bushes. I think every old homestead in Pennsylvania had them. Spotting lilac bushes has led me to many old cellar holes.

In this part of Pa. its lilacs, daffodils, and tiger lilly's. They usually give up a homesite or an old dump.

Back
Top Bottom