Is silverplate worthless?

pplinker

Forum Supporter
I've been cleaning out a trailer that a hoarder lived in and get all the contents. Yay...not. Everything is so dirty, dusty, and smoke covered.... Back to subject..

These items looked very interesting. Black which indicated tarnish, so I cleaned them up. Then was looking up the marks. One said international silver, the other Reed and Barten. From what I read, if it doesn't say 925 then it isn't pure silver. Bummer.

The chain does say 925 so that has some value.

Thanks for looking. Have a great, wonderful, October day!

Attachments

• DSC00535.JPG
    DSC00535.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 951
  • DSC00534.JPG
    DSC00534.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 827
  • DSC00536.JPG
    DSC00536.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 768
I got this gold and diamond cross for valentines day. Since the diamonds make it look so silver I've been wanting a silver chain. Now this one may work. An arrowhead would also look good.

Attachments

• DSC00537.JPG
    DSC00537.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 1,202
  • DSC00538.JPG
    DSC00538.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 1,137
.925 is not pure silver, but is part copper.
I bought a pair of heavy sterling candle sticks for $20, hoping to profit. I received $20 from my LCS, he said that the amount of silver is a thin foil. I should have kept them.

.925 is not pure silver, but is part copper.
I bought a pair of heavy sterling candle sticks for $20, hoping to profit. I received $20 from my LCS, he said that the amount of silver is a thin foil. I should have kept them.

Oh well, at least you broke even.

Silver plate is still collectible if people are looking for certain makers or patterns.

Regarding the sterling candle holders, it sounds like you were robbed unless they were “weighted” sterling which means they aren’t solid silver.

Silver plate is still collectible if people are looking for certain makers or patterns.

Regarding the sterling candle holders, it sounds like you were robbed unless they were “weighted” sterling which means they aren’t solid silver.
I doubt any silver candle stick is solid silver, normally they’re filled with sand or something of that sort.

Last edited:
Usually if its plated, its marked as such. Some of those might be sterling, do you have any pictures of the makers marks?

One says international silver company and it says USN and has an anchor. This is my favorite, and I like it even if it is plated, it's very shiny and a pretty pattern.

The other SSP...this one is definitely silverplate because you can see copper through some of the wear marks.

The bent things...now that is a question in itself...what was someone trying to make out of these? Anyways where they were cut/ground, the metal inside is the same color as the outside. Maybe they silverplate stainless steel. The bent things say Reed & Barton.

Attachments

• DSC00548.JPG
    DSC00548.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 506
  • DSC00549.JPG
    DSC00549.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 543
  • DSC00550.JPG
    DSC00550.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 493
  • DSC00551.JPG
    DSC00551.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 518
Took those bent things out in the sunshine and could see that they are another metal inside because it was another color. Just worthless.

Speaking strictly in bullion value terms, silver plated items have no value but some items can be valuable as a collectible to people therefore giving the item some value other than bullion.

The bent things...now that is a question in itself...what was someone trying to make out of these? Anyways where they were cut/ground, the metal inside is the same color as the outside. Maybe they silverplate stainless steel. The bent things say Reed & Barton.

When you first posted these I thought maybe they were trying to make Spoon rings or something.. looking at it again I am Thinking someone was trying to repurpose them as Napkin Rings.

Speaking strictly in bullion value terms, silver plated items have no value but some items can be valuable as a collectible to people therefore giving the item some value other than bullion.

Thank you.

When you first posted these I thought maybe they were trying to make Spoon rings or something.. looking at it again I am Thinking someone was trying to repurpose them as Napkin Rings.

They might be functional as napkin rings. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom