More Sterling silver!

bruinvikes

Elite Member
Found another tiny Sterling ring today. The stone is missing, but at least I got the PM. I also found a 1917 buffalo nickle and a hood ornament. The ring was a very pleasant surprise because it rang up as a zincoln on my F70.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 247
Nice work man!

This is a longer season than we usually get, way to make it count!

<°)))>{

congrats on the silver ring! I pass up a lot of zincoln signals on my F70....guess I need to start digging them:shock:

Alright Bruin!! I once got a tiny silver ring that sounded exactly like a zink on my F70 too!...at a soccerfield on the sidelines...it was just a tiny bit deeper than all the rest so I was curious...they generally dont sound that low unless they are small...Great snag there!

Alright, alright, all right!
Gonna be a big silver year for both of us.

War between the states..Alabama vs. Ohio 2017.

Alabama silver....7
Ohio silver..........5

Ohio gold......1
Bama gold.....0

congrats on the silver ring! I pass up a lot of zincoln signals on my F70....guess I need to start digging them:shock:

I am sure bruinvikes won't mind if I interrupt his thread for a second...a teachable moment here.
Let me tell you a bit about zinc....

They are a hassle, so many zincolns out there it can be a drag digging them and can mess with your mind if you are avoiding them...those what if's....but this only happens if you actually know what you could possibly be missing.

I used to dig every one but that has slowed down a bit the last couple years.
Still dig a lot and definitely some very solid ones, the loud ones for sure, but still can't stop the what if's from happening if I don't bother because I do know of many things that come in at zinc that are way better than just a stinking zincoln.
Regarding coins zincoln signals can be Indians, in the relic realm I have dug some three ringers there too.

Some helpful pictures....

There are a lot of other cool things that come in at all kinds of levels of zinc.
Not worth much but still a nice surprise and better than junk.

zinc objects.jpg

Then there are the better zinc targets.l besides those IH's and bullets.
This is a pretty rare merchants token, pretty much a Chuckie Cheese token in the ground, a little lower into true zincoln range out of the ground.

token zinc.jpg

Precious metals, bruinvikes knows and so do many others about this.
Small silver rings for sure, earrings too especially because they might not be full circles or other shapes and act like broken rings so they come in lower.
Here are just a few of my silver targets that came in at zinc numbers...

ster2.jpg P1050065.jpguser10659_pic71191_1462621809_PerfectlyClear_PerfectlyClear_PerfectlyClear.jpgearring s.jpg

This was a weird one.
In normal ring shape this one is a logical high dime into almost quarter signal because it is so thick.
When I found it that wasn't the case, it was crushed in the middle into a figure eight shape...just like two big links in a huge chain.
This was way lower because of that and a dead on 61 zincoln signal.

big black screen (2).jpg

Chains are always weird, many of my silver ones come in at foil nickel and tabs, a small one even in iron, but this very thick one shocked me.
A perfect classic 61 zinc cent signal on the F2 when I hit the clasp, but it was way better.

bracelet.jpg

Now gold.
It can come in anywhere up and down the scale but for me most of the time between 24 foil on the F70 and up the line into tabs at all numbers.
5 times I got into the zinc area.
Low zinc always for me, all kinds of gold can come in even higher.
If you want to avoid digging zinc if you get a solid signal in the lower zinc range, like for me these were all between 48-52...dig them.
Most of the time this is bigger can slaw but sometimes it is not.

All 10k.

This one was huge, almost 18 grams...

P1010780_PerfectlyClear.jpg

A few more...

ring 2-3.jpggold ring.jpgring 5.jpg

Like I said zinc is a hassle for most of us out there but in this hobby for those of us without X Ray vision what isn't?
Sometimes a zincoln isn't a zincoln and a leap of faith can pay off big time.

Last edited:
I am sure bruinvikes won't mind if I interrupt his thread for a second...a teachable moment here.
Let me tell you a bit about zinc....

They are a hassle, so many zincolns out there it can be a drag digging them and can mess with your mind if you are avoiding them...those what if's....but this only happens if you actually know what you could possibly be missing.

I used to dig every one but that has slowed down a bit the last couple years.
Still dig some very solid ones, the loud ones for sure, but still can't stop the what if's from happening if I don't bother because I do know of many things that come in at zinc that are way better than just a stinking zincoln.

Some helpful pictures....

There are a lot of cool things that come in at all kinds of levels of zinc.
Not worth much but still a nice surprise and better than junk.

View attachment 379769

Then there are the better zinc targets.
This is a pretty rare merchants token, pretty much a Chuckie Cheese token in the ground, a little lower into true zincoln range out of the ground.

View attachment 379770

Precious metals, bruinvikes knows and so do many others about this.
Small silver rings for sure, earrings too especially because they might not be full circles or other shapes and act like broken rings so they come in lower.
Here are just a few of my silver targets that came in at zinc numbers...

View attachment 379771 View attachment 379773View attachment 379774View attachment 379781

This was a weird one.
In normal ring shape this one is a logical high dime into almost quarter signal because it is so thick.
When I found it that wasn't the case, it was crushed in the middle into a figure eight shape...just like two big links in a huge chain.
This was way lower because of that and a dead on 61 zincoln signal.

View attachment 379775

Chains are always weird, many of my silver ones come in at foil nickel and tabs, a small one even in iron, but this very thick one shocked me.
A perfect classic 61 zinc cent signal on the F2 when I hit the clasp, but it was way better.

View attachment 379776

Now gold.
It can come in anywhere up and down the scale but for me most of the time between 24 foil on the F70 and up the line into tabs at all numbers.
5 times I got into the zinc area.
Low zinc always for me, all kinds of gold can come in even higher.
If you want to avoid digging zinc if you get a solid signal in the lower zinc range, like for me these were all between 48-52...dig them.
Most of the time this is bigger can slaw but sometimes it is not.

All 10k.

This one was huge, almost 18 grams...

View attachment 379777

A few more...

View attachment 379778View attachment 379779View attachment 379780

Like I said zinc is a hassle for most of us out there but in this hobby for those of us without X Ray vision what isn't?
Sometimes a zincoln isn't a zincoln and a leap of faith can pay off big time.

Thanks Digger, lately (even before seeing this post), I've been trying to learn the "zinc code" and digging more of them. I do remember reading a post by you that some class rings come in at the zinc range. I've also learned on my own that the lower, slightly jumpy zinc signals like 57 and 58 are usually zincolns that are crusty...the more crusty the lower reading and less stable #s. In fact yesterday while md'ing in the backyard I came on a strong zinc signal of 61 by my kids' swingset. It turned out to be an Israeli new sheqel. It wasn't a real find as I had a jar of foreign coins that my kids got into a few years back and now I'm finding them all over the yard:lol:

Attachments

• IMG_1872.jpg
    IMG_1872.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1873.jpg
    IMG_1873.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 156
Yea, the code.
The universe messes with all of us in this hobby, it has a great sense of humor that I don't appreciate all that much.
Gold can be almost anywhere and so can silver.
The zinc area is tricky, so much we would rather avoid but also so much we definitely would want to dig.
Just part of the hobby, if everything was super easy we would all have much more treasure but surprises are a great part of this hobby too and some zinc signals can be shocking.

Found another tiny Sterling ring today. The stone is missing, but at least I got the PM. I also found a 1917 buffalo nickle and a hood ornament. The ring was a very pleasant surprise because it rang up as a zincoln on my F70.
I know what you mean by ringing up zincoln on a small string ring. I found one a couple of weeks ago did the same thing. It would hit on zinc, bounce to pull tab and back. Great find. Congrats!

Attachments

• 2017-02-06 19.04.48.jpg
    2017-02-06 19.04.48.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 164
I know what you mean by ringing up zincoln on a small string ring. I found one a couple of weeks ago did the same thing. It would hit on zinc, bounce to pull tab and back. Great find. Congrats!

How ironic! I expanded the pic on your post and the hallmark on your ring is the same that is on the ring that I found. Congrats on finding yours!

DIGGER, thanks for the write up. I knew from previous posts of yours that it was possible to find rings while getting a zinc signal, but I didn't expect it with a silver ring. I mean, I knew that you had found rings with that signal, but I thought the rings you located were gold. Thanks again.

How ironic! I expanded the pic on your post and the hallmark on your ring is the same that is on the ring that I found. Congrats on finding yours!

DIGGER, thanks for the write up. I knew from previous posts of yours that it was possible to find rings while getting a zinc signal, but I didn't expect it with a silver ring. I mean, I knew that you had found rings with that signal, but I thought the rings you located were gold. Thanks again.

I did that for those that think silver always comes in high.
This was a small ring I found 5 years ago that said Mexico 925 and came in zinc.
Then and for a long time I just considered it fake.
Eventually I changed my mind when I learned more.

Attachments

• 1 fake.jpg
    1 fake.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 143
Back
Top Bottom