• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Dug my first Masonic token today.

predrunner

Forum Supporter
I know this isn't a big deal to most but I thoroughly enjoy reading about the history of the Masons and this was high on my bucket list. Unfortunately I got it slightly my digger. It rang up really high and I thought I was just getting a can out of my way.

ceeb2361f35df539082fb7bfffd7e5b7.jpg

47ce74d308e37e9d6a348805a8c2e57a.jpg

That's a pretty cool find! Something you don't see everyday. Congrats! You must have gotten it only slightly with your digger cause I didn't notice a scratch.

~edit~....Oh, see it! No biggie. Still a keeper for sure!

WOW Thats a great find, and something that the gentleman that lost it spent good time looking for.

For those that might not know, what you have is a Mark Master penny from the Royal Arch. The Royal Arch is a part of York Rite Masonry (an 'advanced', if you will, lodge which one can apply to once completing their first three degrees) .

The center of the penny is reserved for the 'Mark Master' to make his mark (is there a design in the circle in the center? I can almost make one out ). This mark is recorded with the lodge. If you contacted this lodge, they should be able to tell you who owed it. I suppose there is a chance this is just a 'generic' token for that lodge, I do believe for practicality and cost that this is permitted.

Things change over time, but I believe most people are either buried with their RAM penny/token, or pass it on to their surviving.

Awesome find.

Edit-- Here is the link to the Illinois RAM if you would be interested in researching who owned it: http://ram-il.org/

I'm sure you would hate to part with it, but you never know, someone's great-great grandkids might make it a family heirloom

Back
Top Bottom