thrown off beach

garviso8

Elite Member
went to a local dade county beach here in fl early this morning to catch the low tide, about an hour and a half into it , a car with county emblem on it drives into the sand where I was and lowers its window a lady with someone else in the car says good morning and proceeds to tell me I cant metal detect on the beach at first I thought it was the turtle lover crowd trying to intimidate me but it turns out, it was the manager herself according to the office employee I spoke with in the office that it was illegal, but they just never said anything .there are no signs telling you this I also asked a metro-dade cop on the way out and she said they were the authority there .needless to say at this point I wanted to throat punch somebody ,decided to leave instead anybody else run into this, done this before without incidence now it's illegal! :mad: this hobby is under attack!!

Makes no sense in the sand...... hell, even the state of Ohio allows hunting in the sand at it's state parks.

Get a copy of the actual law and carry it with you OR ask them to provide you with a copy.(they won't) If they are enforcing a law that does not exist, I'd call them on it.

If it was a state park that you were metal detecting in Florida state law says that you're not allowed to metal detect between the high tide/low tide line as well as out in the water. I've seen countless YouTube videos of people metal detecting the wet sand or water in Florida state parks, I'm guessing they just haven't been caught yet by the park rangers...

In the dry sand however, it's 100% legal.

Last edited:
..... a lady with someone else in the car says good morning and proceeds to tell me I cant metal detect on the beach ...

.... I've seen countless YouTube videos of people metal detecting the wet sand or water in Florida state parks, I'm guess they just haven't been caught yet by the park rangers...

garviso8, you don't say which type entity of beach you were at. Ie.: a federal beach in that county ? A state beach in that county ? A county beach in that county ? A city beach in that county ?

But based on the fact of NO SHORTAGE of md'ing going on @ FL beaches (even, gasp, the wet inter-tidal zone sand), then you might have just run into a singular fluke. For example: So too can I think of 2 or 3 instances here in CA, where a guy caught flack for detecting state of CA beaches (mind you, they administer 90%+ of our beaches/coastline). Yet at every single other beach, and all other times, you never hear so much as "boo" (even waltzing around right in front of rangers).

So rather than trying to "fight" it or "get it clarified" (lest you be swatting hornet's nests), And rather than treating this as a new "law" that you can never detect there (while, oddly, perhaps others will continue to go and never hear "boo"), perhaps this was an isolated fluke.

this is a county beach I've been to many times before never had an incident even spoken to employees ,today I'm assuming new manager driving an employee around and decided to make an impression county parks in dade county on the other hand have always been off limits thinking maybe they need to differentiate between parks and beaches probably reading the same book for both

If it was a state park that you were metal detecting in Florida state law says that you're not allowed to metal detect between the high tide/low tide line as well as out in the water. I've seen countless YouTube videos of people metal detecting the wet sand or water in Florida state parks, I'm guessing they just haven't been caught yet by the park rangers...

In the dry sand however, it's 100% legal.

been doing it for years never a problem in state parks . problem is in county parks.

been doing it for years never a problem in state parks . problem is in county parks.

I was thrown off a state park 3 weeks ago for metal detecting in the water... That's why I brought that up. The park ranger said I wasn't allowed to metal detect in the water. Once I got home I looked it up and here's what I found:

Florida Administrative Code, Chapter 62D-2 which provides rules and regulations for Florida State Parks does not specifically address the use of metal detectors; however it prohibits any ground disturbing activity which is a product of metal detecting. As a result, guidelines for the use of metal detectors as stated in the Florida State Parks Operations Manual are as follows:

1. Due to the tidal influence in coastal areas, the use of metal detecting devices are allowed in coastal parks, in a zone between the waterline and the toe of the dune, as determined by the Park Manager, except at archaeological sites within the zone designated by the Division of Historical Resources (DHR) or the Park Manager.

2. For the recovery of lost personal items that are specifically identified by their owner as being lost in a specific area of a park. The owner of lost property or his representative should contact the park manager who will arrange a time for the search to be conducted in the presence of a park staff member. During these searches, only the item sought may be kept by the owner or his representative.

Any dug hole(s) associated with the use of a metal detector must be refilled to the contour of pre-dig conditions using excavated material.

I PMed you. I know about the situation since it happened to me there a few months ago. Their metal detecting rule is online; "8E Preservation of Property". It's basically that there shall be "no excavation, or use of excavation tools, surveying, blasting, erecting of structures...metal detecting..." It's all BS that relates to construction on park lands. Would the manager apply the "no excavating tools" to a child using a pail and shovel on the beach digging holes? It's a really ridiculous and archaic rule. I printed a copy of that rule and Riparian Rights and have them laminated and with me at all times. He cannot enforce "no detecting" if you're in the water since that is not county land.

My argument to the park ranger was the amount of sharp objects and trash I remove from the water within their park... It's a ridiculous amount of trash. The way I see it is we're providing them a service, free of charge.

Guess they'd rather have visitors get injured and pollute their beach than have us clean it up.

My argument to the park ranger was the amount of sharp objects and trash I remove from the water within their park... It's a ridiculous amount of trash. The way I see it is we're providing them a service, free of charge. Guess they'd rather have visitors get injured and pollute their beach than have us clean it up.

I said the same thing to the manager Garvis is referring to. I also recently had a gold ring return there for out of town college kids (tourists) that were here for the Orange Bowl and an attempted silver ring return for British tourists last year. So in addition to picking up loads of cr@p, up we help tourists with lost items.

I said the same thing to the manager Garvis is referring to. I also recently had a gold ring return there for out of town college kids (tourists) that were here for the Orange Bowl and an attempted silver ring return for British tourists last year. So in addition to picking up loads of cr@p, up we help tourists with lost items.

Not to mention all the crusty Felix's that are cleaned up on an annual basis! :p

thanks for the info I think sometimes park rules are used for beach purposes by employees not knowing the distinction, or caring not being associated to the hobby

very true but I don't feel the need to justify my hobby to a city employee in a golf cart , they don't own the beach .maybe they don't want us digging up all the garbage those tractors they use on the beach, which do nothing but bury old cans and illegally dumped medical supplies!

Yes this hobby is CERTAINLY under attack, especially here in the Boise, Idaho area. Can't hunt curb strips, can't hunt ANY schools, need a permit to hunt any city parks, and some of the surrounding towns even go as far as to make detecting illegal within their city limits. I was detecting a city park here and was approached by a park employee who accused me of not having permission do dig targets. I tried explaining the permit that was prominently displayed on my shirt collar gave me that permission along with permission to detect there. He stomped off mad & said he was going to call his boss and see if that was true. When I mentioned he'd probably get in trouble if he did that, he demanded to know why. I said that if he was really a park employee, he should already know what rights the city permit gave its user. He changed his mind. If you're planning on coming to Boise.....leave your detectors home.....it's just too tough!

..... I was detecting a city park here and was approached by a park employee who accused me of not having permission do dig targets. I tried explaining the permit ...

I/we feel your pain gold-paninut :no:

Note in the above quote, where you were detecting legally. Even with an EXPRESS ALLOWANCE [or "permit" or whatever]. Yet some busy-body still has knee-jerk reaction of "oh no, he's about to leave holes" [the connotation that md'rs have after all]. This exact quote is EXACTLY why I do 90% + of my turf hunting at night nowadays. So peaceful. So serene. You're just never going to get 100% of all people to "sign off" on this hobby in manicured turf. Hence .... sometimes "out of sight is out of mind" .

Bummer! Next time Be Prepared! Recite some foreign sounding phrases in your head, dont worry about making any sense, just start babbling like you are a Foreign Tourist!

When hassled by any American authority figure, look confused and reply, "Voll Le Le futballparken? Too too de swier, too too de schwar?" Use some grunts like a German, roll your R's like an Irishman, throw in a 'Ko Niichi wah Anjin san'? like out of Shogun...just let it rip and go all babbly like a spirit filled Pentecostal and make up your own stuff even!!!...:laughing:

As you babble, wave your arms around all animated and stuff, like an Italian, Look all puzzled and frown, like a Russian, confused, point to some hotel or beach house off to the side as if you are staying there, and appear to explain they told you it was alright, just dont use ANY ENGLISH or Spanish either...

It works on Cops when you get pulled over for a ticket! They just dont want to deal with some damn tourist foreigner, especially if they think you are from Europe!...This also works when a guy is being panhandled!...same deal, just start babbling like you dont understand what is going on, maybe toss a few foreign coins you found at them for full effect, and keep moving!

If you need further assistance on this matter, I suppose you could pull some good foreign lines off the Youtubes now a days...watch some "How To cook a chicken" vids from Bulgaria or some damn place, or 'How to thatch a hut' in Zanzibar, then watch the same thing in Chinese! Mash them both together, commit this babble to memory, and you should be sound as a pound from here on out!

It really works!...Especially in a barely monolingual culture like America...! Just Be Prepared...I learned in the Scouts!...saved me a fortune over the years! Plus, if you ever find yourself in a Pentecostal church for some reason, by gosh! Talk about a score! You'll be nominated as Deacon before the service is over! You got this buddy!:laughing:
Mud

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom