New (old) guy from central NC

Bigcanoe

Hi! I live outside Raleigh in Moncure, at 27559. I am tentatively getting into the sport and am interested in meeting some other folks in the area with similar interests.

Thanks! For you NC folks, where do you hunt? I know state parks are off limits. What about city or county parks? Certain parts of the beach seem ok but thats a bit of a drive. Do you try public school fields on the weekends?

Thanks! For you NC folks, where do you hunt? I know state parks are off limits. What about city or county parks? Certain parts of the beach seem ok but thats a bit of a drive. Do you try public school fields on the weekends?

I'll hit the totlots and basketball and volleyball courts in my area when I have time. You'll need to check your local codes for parks and schools tho. I've been told our parks are off limits , had a parks worker tell me that one time but I was in the tot lot and he said that would be okay. I know a few might get upset about this but I have hunted in the park but I was real careful not to leave any holes. So if was told it was forbidden, they might let me slide as I was being respectful. Otherwise I could play dumb , I'm pretty good at that , :laughing: . Find you some farmland out there, might work out well for you. Good luck

I'm in Fayetteville, and finding places to hunt is the hard part. I have once traveled to Wrightsville beach, I've hit one public park, and an abandoned trailer park. These places are ok, but I like to have a hunting partner, a second pair of eyes if you will...

This post may be a bit late but I'm in the Fayetteville area. All of my metal detecting partners have moved out in the last few years so I'm looking for others.............

Hi from the Triad
It depends on what you're interested in. Old coins or modern clad coins. You'll tend to find more coins where there was more foot traffic back in the day. Rural sites may not have the coins but will probably give up more relic type goodies. Lookup some historical maps in the area and get an idea of what sites to research.

Hunting for a Partner

Welcome from northeastern North Carolina ! :digginahole:
Not really sure if these messages are getting out but think they may be. Anyway, as I said before I'm about out of ideas for detecting in the Fayetteville area and am looking for someone in who may have fresh ideas. I usually spend most of my detecting days driving around looking for old houses and farms but have just about run out of them......... We used to find three or four silver or older coins a day but now only one every 4 or 5 trips.

Not really sure if these messages are getting out but think they may be. Anyway, as I said before I'm about out of ideas for detecting in the Fayetteville area and am looking for someone in who may have fresh ideas. I usually spend most of my detecting days driving around looking for old houses and farms but have just about run out of them......... We used to find three or four silver or older coins a day but now only one every 4 or 5 trips.

Yep, your messages are getting out, but maybe you should start your own, "new topic", since this one was actually started by Bigcanoe. As for the silver coins, I would be thrilled if I found a silver coin every 4 or 5 trips.... I am in the same situation as you - I've just run out of places to go. I am happy now to just have a decent clad find.....:yes:

Back
Top Bottom