Getting Permission and Sharing the Loot

jpbbennett

I'm new at this, but I have seen a number of posts that propose all sorts of things. Just trying to get a quick summary of where the forum sits. If you choose other, please send me a post on what arrangement you set up.

If I ask permission and they said yes, then I would keep anything I found unless they put restrictions. If there are restrictions (owner wants a pick) then I wouldn't detect there. Why should I do all the work so they can pick the best stuff? I would only be tempted if I thought there was something worthy of making that kind of deal with the owner. I'm not in this hobby for the money, but I do like to keep what I find.

Hunt when they arent there if possible. Thank em. Most havent a clue of coin values. But if its a hot yard a couple of silver coins and some matchbox cars are ok. If its a deal where you cant hunt without sharing, 50% of something is better than nothing. Now if its a known cache, get something in writing. Always get permission tho. If its in your budget, have an extra detector so they can join ya. Happy hunting :lol:

I picked the "bling" vote for lack of my personal disposition being in the list.

Assuming you mean searching privatly-owned property...
If, what I dig up, is an heirloom or relic, and it shows "proof of ownership" via and address, name that I can look up, or anything that was personal to the people living at the address... or a relative of said residence, (etc.), then I'm happy to give it to them with no questions... otherwise *I* pick what they get and the rest goes in my pocket.

OD, I like the way you worded that. I'd hunt with you any day... and U-2, Hoser-monster.  ;)

BeerDoodle... that extra machine is a very nice touch. Good idea. (it also shows the land owner the "scruples" of competition.  :lol:)

Krom mentioned something that I also do, but didn't post. When seeking permission to hunt private property, I ask the owner if they've lost any heirlooms or jewelry. If I find it, I return it. If they don't mention anything like this, then I keep it.

OkieDigger said:
Krom mentioned something that I also do, but didn't post. When seeking permission to hunt private property, I ask the owner if they've lost any heirlooms or jewelry. If I find it, I return it. If they don't mention anything like this, then I keep it.

Nice compromise there.

I'd like to "Pay a fixed fee and keep whatever I find" It just seems easier. Most club hunts on farms are setup like this too.

I still haven't asked anyone I don't know for permission, so far just some neighbors and I give them what I find, but I think of it of practicing with the Ace. Exception was next door neighbor who said keep whatever you find :yes:

Anyway, think of it in terms of you being the property owner. Some stranger stops by and asks if the can MD on your property. The rules are they keep everything they find. I would tell them to shove it up their arse :mad: Not that this would ever happen but I would let them keep all the clad, and we would split the silver (they could have the wheaties). I do know that no expensive jewlery was ever lost so if they found some, so be it, wasn't mine to begin with. If a MD'er wants to spend time hoping to find some silver, so be it. If they found enough clad to even make it worthwhile I would be surprised.

Of course I already cleaned out my property to I would have the last laugh of anyone trying to find anything :P Well in theory anyway :roll:

Carol...
I'd expect to pay a fee at a club hunt. I'd also expect to keep everything I dug, too. ;)

I edited the verbage above to clarify I was thinking about the agreement you use when hunting on private property. Sorry for the confusion.

I've always hunted spots with the understanding that I keep what I find but if the only way to hunt a spot was to split the finds then I would. I too will ask if they have lost anything and if they have I will do my best to find it for them.

I checked "Other", as when I ask, the situation is unfolding, and I adapt based on what is being discussed. I am a good negotiator, and thus far have always come out on top. A basic tool in negotiations is to be the one asking the questions when you pretty much know the answers. You then can steer the opponent.

I always offer to show not share what I find. if I come up with a family airloom i turn it over. most people are astonished you find anything at all and are very interested. Cladius.

Hi bennett, when I ask permission, in my town, being gold country, I agree to go halves of any gold I find, but I get to keep all the relics/coins and nything else I did. Oh, but I do show my finds to the owners just the same, and they get a kick out of seeing them, and that my detector even detects the items! A lot of fun all round.
HH Angela :grin:

Back
Top Bottom