Question for you guys

EMGdetecting

Just wondering, what do you guys do with the modern change you find metal detecting? Do you save it, spend it on food, put it in your wallet, buy gear, invest in something, gas money, ETC? I think I’m going to save for a year and work to get a higher number each year then invest in silver or possibly gold if I can.

-Ethan

Save it, then get some coin rolls then deposit it in the bank. During COVID last year, between April and the December, I netted over $400 in clad...not too bad...

I tumble and roll mine. If you’re looking for an good investment, it’s not gold and silver. For a long-term hedge they aren’t even good, the prices today are the same they were ten years ago so the metals haven’t even kept up with inflation. I hate to say it but cryptos are where it’s at.

Actually I took the $220 I found in clad last year, added $70 to it and cherry picked silver from a big jug of coins my wife's aunt had.

Attachments

• IMG_1998.jpg
    IMG_1998.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 512
I usually take a photo of my finds for each hunt (photo of all the finds: clad, trash, thing-a-ma-jigs, ect. :lol:) so I have a record of all of what I found (and can also see the trash to good finds ratio for that hunt), but modern clad I'll just eventually use as cash money after including it in the finds photo for that hunt.

Last edited:
I do a little bit of everything with the change. Most I try to save till I have enough for a nice accessory like a new coil or pinpointer.

The other bit is used at the work vending machines which has become a bit of a game for me. When the rep comes in to take the change out and refill he looks at the dirty quarters and shakes his head. I love every minute of it because I know who put those quarters in there! :lol:

I cash mine in at the bank when my jar gets full. Generally use it on gear. My bank won't take rolled coins. I've really gotten the stinkeye the last two times that I cashed in, so I guess the next batch will go for a tumbler. :lol:

I tumble the clad. Save it till i have a good number of dollars and then run it thru the coin counter at my credit union. They do not charge members. Then i put it in my mad money fund just in case i get mad and need something detecting wise.

Just wondering, what do you guys do with the modern change you find metal detecting? Do you save it, spend it on food, put it in your wallet, buy gear, invest in something, gas money, ETC? I think I’m going to save for a year and work to get a higher number each year then invest in silver or possibly gold if I can.

-Ethan

I just throw it in a coinstar and take the 10% loss, whatever!

I do Coinstar and receive a amazon gift receipt with no percentage charge.
Get on Amazon and add you're money to your gift card account.

Save it, then get some coin rolls then deposit it in the bank. During COVID last year, between April and the December, I netted over $400 in clad...not too bad...

Dang, that’s a lot! You must go really often [emoji1]

-Ethan

I tumble and roll mine. If you’re looking for an good investment, it’s not gold and silver. For a long-term hedge they aren’t even good, the prices today are the same they were ten years ago so the metals haven’t even kept up with inflation. I hate to say it but cryptos are where it’s at.

Good to know. I don’t think I’ll get into crypto anytime soon just because I don’t know what I’m doing. Gold and silver was just a thought. Thanks for your input!

-Ethan

I usually take a photo of my finds for each hunt (photo of all the finds: clad, trash, thing-a-ma-jigs, ect. :lol:) so I have a record of all of what I found (and can also see the trash to good finds ratio for that hunt), but modern clad I'll just eventually use as cash money after including it in the finds photo for that hunt.

Good idea [emoji362]. It seems like most people are like you and use it as spending money.

-Ethan

I do a little bit of everything with the change. Most I try to save till I have enough for a nice accessory like a new coil or pinpointer.

The other bit is used at the work vending machines which has become a bit of a game for me. When the rep comes in to take the change out and refill he looks at the dirty quarters and shakes his head. I love every minute of it because I know who put those quarters in there! :lol:

Good idea to save for gear. [emoji23] very funny about the vending machine

-Ethan

Back
Top Bottom