People complaining about my digger

Metal detecto

Elite Member
I know, every one metal detecting says that you need to cut the plug nicely, make a hinge, pinpoint it, blah blah blah, and I am! Every single one of my plugs is a masterpiece, heck, if you tried to find it you won't. But everyone kinda doesn't like my shovel, lesche sampson that I love very dearly, and especially my lesche hand tool. I'm kind of tired of people giving me a look that's sometimes as dirty as my find:laughing:. How do you manage to MD in peace?:lol:

I wear a reflective vest when detecting, partly to be safe the times I might get close to where cars might drive by, but also to show I'm not trying to sneak around unseen since I know I am doing nothing wrong, it also has the added benefit of maybe having local people think I am a worker doing something and not give me a second thought, but if asked I would be honest and not say I'm a worker. (So far I have not had any negative looks or remarks about my detecting and using a Sampson Lesche shovel)
safety vest.jpg

Plugs

I know, every one metal detecting says that you need to cut the plug nicely, make a hinge, pinpoint it, blah blah blah, and I am! Every single one of my plugs is a masterpiece, heck, if you tried to find it you won't. But everyone kinda doesn't like my shovel, lesche sampson that I love very dearly, and especially my lesche hand tool. I'm kind of tired of people giving me a look that's sometimes as dirty as my find:laughing:. How do you manage to MD in peace?:lol:

I don't post much but I know what you are saying. I started detecting in 1975, Southern Cal. Used a Whites 6DB. Old school deep machine. You name the park, I have hit it. Lots of holes for lots of years. Never ran into other detectorist or plug police. No shovels. We always used a small spade. Digging was discreet and neat. Park workers were the only ones we encountered. Really never had a problem. Just too many detectors now and some that are not so neat. I'm not in Cal no more, but if I was I would still use a small spade or my lesche and be looking over my backside. Too many opinionated people today that will attack you. I like old parks but now an old desert trail seems better.

I just go where no one else, or few, “other” people are around. And if they show up, I just ignore them. Have only had one time when some @zzhat called the cops, and that ended with me having a nice convo with the police and detecting on.... more carefree...

I don't know where you are detecting, but most people don't use "shovels" in areas where there are lots of passersby. IMHO anyway, they make more sense in fields and woods and some permission sites.

... But everyone kinda doesn't like my shovel, lesche sampson that I love very dearly, and ....

.... most people don't use "shovels" in areas where there are lots of passersby. .....

Metal detecto: I/we agree with you that if the ultimate objective were to leave-no-trace, then .... why should any passer-by care if the lesche is long handle (shovel-style) or short-handle (trowel style) ? But Randy is right : Image means everything. Reality means nothing. :roll:

And to be honest with you, you don't really even need to have a long vs short handle to "evoke this image" (that you might be about to leave a hole). The mere sight of a man crouching to dig (no matter WHAT implement), can conjur up images of "holes". EVEN THOUGH HE'LL LEAVE NONE when he's done.

...How do you manage to MD in peace?:lol:

When it comes to nice manicured turf, the answer is simple : Hunt at night. What people don't see won't bother them. So peaceful. So serene.

And to be honest with you, you don't really even need to have a long vs short handle to "evoke this image" (that you might be about to leave a hole). The mere sight of a man crouching to dig (no matter WHAT implement), can conjur up images of "holes". EVEN THOUGH HE'LL LEAVE NONE when he's done.

well said, also... what "normal" people think about MDing when most names being used for media platforms include the word(s) Dig, Digger, Digging... ect...to most that don't know about MDing, that just implies holes and a mess.

... also... what "normal" people think about MDing when most names being used for media platforms include the word(s) Dig, Digger, Digging... ect...to most that don't know about MDing, that just implies holes ....

Yup. And NO AMOUNT of going in ahead of time (preemptive permission seeking) and trying to "sort out this mess of definitions" solves this dilemma . It will only ACCELERATE the no's. :roll:

Thanks, I checked some sources and got the info on how to cut the mother of neat pugs, just need to flash my permit if I need to. I will be wearing a vest, and seems great!

Thanks,
Metal detecto

I was in a city in Nc. Went to a local soccer complex and was told You can not dig here. I could pop coins if they were shallow but no digging. I was to". ld go ahead and detect the tot lots. I asked what had happened to cause the change in policy and was told "Guys Were Digging Up Our Soccer Fields With SHOVELS. A check of the city rules for their parks says "No Metal Detecting" And all because of the visual of some one diging with a shove

.... and was told "Guys Were Digging Up Our Soccer Fields With SHOVELS. ....

George, sometimes, when people say that others "left holes" or "had shovels", this can sometimes merely be because someone saw a guy with a metal detector stoop to dig. So the observer MERELY ASSUMED: "holes" or "he's going to leave holes". It doesn't necessarily mean the md'r left any, nor actually had a shovel. It can just be the mental image that the busy-body assumed.

Most folks that come up to me are just interested in what I am doing and ask questions about the hobby. I really enjoy it and have no problem talking to people about it. When anyone does try to give me a hard time I just stare at them, make myself look mad, and growl until they leave. It works every time!

I don't use a shovel. Period. The way I see it, being the unnoticeable gray man while waving around a metal detector is difficult enough without carrying around a 3 foot shovel. :laughing: I just use my homemade digger when appropriate, and in parks coin pop with a probe and screwdriver. My 2 cents cyber currency. GL and HH.

I've made my thoughts known before on this subject, but here they are again in a nutshell. I believe long handled shovels and making/leaving a mess are the top two things that will lead to public areas being banned to metal detecting. Can't say I didn't warn you.

I've made my thoughts known before on this subject, but here they are again in a nutshell. I believe long handled shovels and making/leaving a mess are the top two things that will lead to public areas being banned to metal detecting. Can't say I didn't warn you.

Yep, what he said. Makes no difference how we perceive ourselves, it's how the viewing public perceives us.

George, sometimes, when people say that others "left holes" or "had shovels", this can sometimes merely be because someone saw a guy with a metal detector stoop to dig. So the observer MERELY ASSUMED: "holes" or "he's going to leave holes". It doesn't necessarily mean the md'r left any, nor actually had a shovel. It can just be the mental image that the busy-body assumed.

Tom i am fully aware of the perspective but when i am talking to the Man in Charge of a city recreation park and he tells me that he approached city counsel and requested the ban then i am fairly sure that i am being told the truth and it was because of "Shovels"

There was no discussion as to whether they left holes. he was upset because shovels were being used.

I dont now how to explain it any better.

...I dont now how to explain it any better.

You've explained it just fine. And when someone says "holes" or "shovels" (as the reason for suggested ban), I don't doubt that in-their-mind they are "telling the truth" as they see it. But as said : They can simply develop this impression SIMPLY because they "saw someone with a metal detector" who "stopped to dig".

And yes, even "men in charge of city rec. parks" can get this perception, by the simple sight of a man stooping to dig. Whether or not they did or didn't have a long handled shovel. The moment they see a man detecting (even if it were a short-handled shovel, it is now a "shovel", period)

And so, believe it or not, the next person hearing the word "shovel" conjurs up images of full-long-handled "shovel". Not saying it's a good idea to use long-handled shovels (for perception-image-sakes). Just saying that when we md'rs hear the word "shovel" and "holes", we can mistakingly jump to the conclusion : Durned that "Someone who must've have a long-handled shovel" or "Durned that someone who must've left holes". When in fact, maybe it never actually went down like that.

Wow, I came across encouraging info showing some areas actually state they are okay with shovels as long as they are specifically designed for metal detecting:

http://marylandfreestateclub.com/FAQ.html

......quote from the above link:

".......and a shovel made specifically for metal detecting (the only shovels permitted in city and county parks)......"

(maybe the officials there understand someone serious enough about the hobby to buy a pricey shovel meant for detecting will use it to to dig good plugs that are replaceable)

Edit to add:

Just found the official document allowing shovels specifically designed for metal detecting:

http://bcrp.baltimorecity.gov/sites/default/files/Metal%20Detecting%20Applications%202017.pdf

.....quote from the above link:

"....... any shovels not specifically designed for metal detecting are not allowed......"

(maybe if other states/towns see that document they might realize it is okay to allow with those specific guidelines)

Last edited:

GKL : that is not a website put forth by an administering agency. It is an md'ing hobbyist website. Not anything put out by any form of city or county in their area. Where are they getting that there is "approved shovels" (long-handled ??) that some particular city , near them "gave a stamp of approval for" ?

And even if they can indeed show any city had a "rule" allowing "long handled (?) shovels" for their parks, this really doesn't add much to the discussion. Because guess what the average newbie would do, upon hearing/reading such a thing ? Drumroll : They'll Rush to their nearest city hall desk and start disputing/discussing/questioning "length of shovel handles". Eh ? And then guess what happens next ? :mad:

GKL : that is not a website put forth by an administering agency. It is an md'ing hobbyist website. Not anything put out by any form of city or county in their area. Where are they getting that there is "approved shovels" (long-handled ??) that some particular city , near them "gave a stamp of approval for" ?

And even if they can indeed show any city had a "rule" allowing "long handled (?) shovels" for their parks, this really doesn't add much to the discussion. Because guess what the average newbie would do, upon hearing/reading such a thing ? Drumroll : They'll Rush to their nearest city hall desk and start disputing/discussing/questioning "length of shovel handles". Eh ? And then guess what happens next ? :mad:

I just found and added the official document to my original post, refresh the page and you'll see the link I just added.

Back
Top Bottom