Just a teaching hunt

stetam

Elite Member
Took by son-in-law out yesterday on his first ever hunt. He had seen my recent finds and said he would like to give it a try so did an hour and a half on his one acre back yard. He lives in old farmhouse that my wife and I own dating to 1910. There was a barn on the property that burned down 40 years ago. I let him use my Ace 250 while I had my Equinox. Giving him 1/2 hour of instruction I let him go to town. When he got a signal I went over it with the Nox giving him an idea of what it might be. Lot's of buried junk there and he ended up only finding scrap and square nails while I pulled a 1957 Rosie, 1951 and 44 wheaties and what I think is a 50's elastic belt clasp. Temps were in the mid 30's with wind and flurries so he hung in there pretty well. After we were done he did ask me how much my Nox cost so I'm pretty sure the bug has bitten him. Next week he is off work Wed and Thur and we are getting a warm spell, temps in the 60's and he said he would like to go again. Going to take him to a local park that is loaded with coins so he can dig some good targets. That being said last night I went online and purchased a Simplex for him. :shrug: Told him no hurry to pay me back. I'm a sucker for my kids and grandkids.

Attachments

• IMG_2025.jpg
    IMG_2025.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Congrats on your hunt, your new purchase, and introducing someone to the hobby! Glad I could help you in some little way.

Going to take him to a local park that is loaded with coins so he can dig some good targets.

Local park loaded with coins? You talking modern clad, or older stuff like silver? Not asking what park, just trying to get a better feel for sites in general.

Local park loaded with coins? You talking modern clad, or older stuff like silver? Not asking what park, just trying to get a better feel for sites in general.

Modern clad. Just want him to get used to digging coins at first to keep his interest.

What a great father-in-law you are! I just ordered a Simplex+ yesterday.

Soon i will have two of everything, detector, scoop, pointer.......

And hope to invite some friends along for some beach hunts.

That's a great story and good 1st detector for him. Sounds like you got a new hunting buddy.

It is great that you are getting him interested in detecting !! Nice choice on a good detector for him. Love my Simplex.

Back
Top Bottom