USA vs Canada coins

Stevek

My son-in-law receive a metal detector for xmas and lives in Canada. We have talking much about finds and target signals, but he claims that the quarters up there seem to fall in the trash ID range both with the tone and visual. Does anybody know if the Canada coins are that much different than US?? Or could it be his machine which is the MPX Pro.??

Thanks;
SteveK

I do believe so Stevek. I know the vending machines at work won't take a Canadian quarter at all. I have found several here in Mich, and they do read as something other than quarter.

Steve, absolutely our Canadian coins don't read like the U.S. clad. With my sovereign the newer quarters here will actually null out, most other clad also gives a very poor signal at least 1/2 of the time. However other machines will give a good signal on them, notably the garretts, troys and tesoros.

I'm not familiar with his machine but if he is getting a good signal with just the ID being off he'll soon get used to the areas the coins read in.

yes they are all now about 90% steel, pennies, nickles an dimes, do a search on the coins an you will see the amount of steel in each coin... i dug a dime a few weeks ago an I kept getting a iron number an a good number at the same time, so I dug an it was dime.

I find that Cdn dimes are extremely difficult to find in heavily mineralised ground. I find tons of the things that have been disc.'ed out by other detectors. ...Willy.

Back
Top Bottom