How much clad per hour can you get?

dohcsvt

I ask this because I have seen posts on here where guys are claiming as high as $3 to $6 per hour... and it is presented as though that is there standard rate, not a 1 time thing. The best I seem to be able to get is about $1 to $1.50 and that is in a GOOD location. Do I suck or are some people just that good?

Some dedicated cladstabbers are that good. They are good at finding the best locations and excellent at target recovery. Some pop clad with just a screwdriver in seconds. I search mainly for deeper silver coins, but will take clad as it comes. About a buck an hour for me usually. If I was into clad exclusively, I'd be hitting different spots. You dont suck, but takes a lot of practice to be as good as the best.

$1-2 an hour if I dig it all. Lately I’ve been leaving the 3-4” coins alone. I’ve seen and talked to a 17yo trying his hand at the hobby with his Garrett Ace 200. I figure that quarter would mean more to him than it would me and keep him interested in the hobby.

On average, I would say $1 to $1.50 an hour. At a good location (school yard, athletic field, etc.), that would probably be more like $5 per hour. Best ever was $15.25 in an hour and 45 minutes at a middle school soccer field.

I found 4.23 in clad yesterday. Some was dug, but the hot tip was a totlot where I simply brushed the chips away and was nailing quarters and dimes. Made probably 3 dollars in about half an hour that way. I simply am not good enough pinpointing to do the "stoop and stab" thing that Mudpuppy does. If you want to boost your rates and if clad is ok, try totlots.

I ask this because I have seen posts on here where guys are claiming as high as $3 to $6 per hour... and it is presented as though that is there standard rate, not a 1 time thing. The best I seem to be able to get is about $1 to $1.50 and that is in a GOOD location. Do I suck or are some people just that good?

You’re doing well most of my times out I average 50 to 75 cents for each hour. But I’m older and slower than many folks and use an Ace 300 which doesn’t seem to get great depth in my areas.

BEST advice I can give you. Take some of the claims on here as a bunch of garbage.

Some folks like a few minutes of fame. Makes them feel good I think. My advice is don't worry about what others find. ENJOY being out and enjoy what you do find and where you find it.

You have truth on here and you have fiction. Absolutely no need to try to sort it out. Read and accept, but don't believe everything. I just pass on posts that are too good to be true.

A GREAT example is a water detectorist who is long gone now, his name on here was Midas.

The amounts can very a lot depending on the site you're hunting. I'm usually around $2.50 per hour but there's been times when I've been stuck at around 50 cents per hour and times when I've dug at the rate of 5-6 dollars per hour. The rate is higher if the hunt site is loaded with quarters or a dollar coin or two.
Today I hit two soccer fields....had to vacate the first one because of a game after I'd been there one hour. That hour netted $2.15. Hit the second one for an hour and a half and got $4.85. Averaged out to around $2.80 per hour for the day. Mostly quarters...…..

I don't normally do "tot lots", but today my wife wanted to go with me. I use the AT Pro, and had an Ace 400 for her to use. I wanted her to find some coins, so we hit a small playground in the middle of town. We were there for 1 1/2 hours, and found $3.79. More than I usually find in that amount of time, but I usually try to hit areas that I can look for deep signals. (By the way, we found 6 quarters underneath the slide in about 10 minutes so that boosted our total pretty quickly.)

I have found a VERY used park today. I am going to hit it early tomorrow morning and see what I can do. I got $4.91 in 4 hours the other day... that is the MOST I have ever got in one go.

I've seen beach erosion conditions, where pockets are so thick, that each basket scoop has multiple coins. As fast as you can scoop. Everywhere you step. Totals of 300 to 500 coins, for face values that could be $40 to 50-ish. And this can be packed into just a few hours stretch (d/t the tides dictate when you can get out far)

But on those occasions, I didn't make note of average-per-hour, or clad vs oldies.

If you’re looking at it from the “how much can I make” aspect, stay home. If you’re in a huge metropolis and within walking distance of several locations which see much activity on a daily basis, then a car isn’t necessary. But stabbing clad isn’t the way to “make money”. Targeting jewelry at specific locals or finding Civil War relics might be a better money maker. If money is a factor which HAS to be considered, it’s time to pick up a part time job and put the detector away.
Almost ALL of the ridiculous tallies you read about are anomalies, trust me. 2 bucks an hour is on the high side, and that’s on a site that’s not hit that hard. Obviously specifically targeting quarters is the thing to do...

I'm a beachhunter. Like Tom said, , I have had many hunts in the 300-500 targets over a 5-7 hour hunt. Don't really count it. The coins are a byproduct of the jewelry I'm after. But it's all good.
Parks are a different story. I'm really just getting into dirt hunting. I've only hunted them at a 2 maybe 3 hour clip. I would say under a $1 an hour. But I'm after gold signals , so I get alot of aluminum junk and nickels. I'm honestly not that good at it compared to the beach. And I don't want to be digging big holes and butchering a park up. Which I seem to be very good at. So i try to keep it at a minimum...

If I set out with clad as my goal, I can often hit $3.00 an hour. Very seldom am I less than $1.00. I use to keep track, but it was just to depressing.

One of the first trips out of my yard I went to a park that was less than 10 years old. It had a BMX track with a vendors only sign next to the fence. I must have been the first person to detect it. I ended up sitting on the ground with my pinpointer, scooting along the fence picking up change from surface to 3 inches deep. I was ready to quit my job and become a full time detectorist. Reality kicked me hard in just a few more hunts.
I have had maybe a half dozen hunts where I broke $10 an hour. The vast majority are in the $2 range

On a good day average $1.80 in Canadian clad per hour.
Average day about 5 hours $7-12.00
The $1 and $2 coins up here make or break the average.

If I’m on a good spot, 10c an hour. That’s if clad gets in the way.

I hear you. I'm somewhere around 70 dollars in clad and I've detected well over 70 hours this year. So, roughly, I can say well under one dollar an hour. Fine with me. Clad is just a clue about the past use of the property and gets cleared while looking for older coins. I've dug a lot of coins this year--easily over 1000--but pennies and nickels make up the majority.

What I notice about those huge clad hunt totals are the quarters. Stacks and stacks of them. Often times there are far more quarters than pennies. That high number of quarters and the high ratio to pennies, is not something I find on private permissions, and you can't just go around popping quarters next to sports fields and expect to find most silver.

Back
Top Bottom