Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Fieryafterburnr Fieryafterburnr is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 19
Default Foreclosed Properties

Has anyone tried the strategy of looking up old foreclosed properties on zillow and then contacting the real estate agent or bank for permission?

__________________
Metal Detecting | Amateur Radio | Model Aviation | Full Scale Aviation | Cycling | Model Rocketry

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 08-24-2019, 10:02 PM
pplinker pplinker is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: WV
Posts: 516
Default

I've looked up old foreclosed properties in the newspaper that are going to be auctioned. It is very hard to contact the bank for permission though, because it is just very hard to get through to them or make them understand what you're talking about. The people staffing those offices probably never heard of a metal detector.

So it's hard to ask the bank and if you ask the people whose house is getting repossessed, it's bound to be embarrassing to them to let them know that you know their circumstance. Especially if you know them.

I only ever hunted one house like that. Mostly though I just think about it and don't act on it because the grass is usually knee high at those foreclosures.

__________________
Penny from WV. I'm a wife, mother and grandmother. Gods blessings to all and happy hunting!

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 08-24-2019, 10:21 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 5,295
Talking

One idea is if you go to the bank in person and offer to mow the grass for free in exchange for permission to detect afterward, that MIGHT work.

The house we bought was a foreclosure held by a bank for several years and when we moved in I had grass/weeds/sticker vines, some of which were taller than me that I had to cut down.

(on the plus side, thank God, was we got a fantastic deal as banks don't like holding onto such property too long, we watched the price go down to where we got a 4 bedroom house with 1 1/2 acres of land included for just $35K ! and the house was not even that old !)

__________________
Gary
Minelab Equinox 800, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Cen-Tech Pinpointer
other (occasional) hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, green screening
John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 08-25-2019, 10:40 AM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 3,955
Default

I have done this several times with a 100% success rate. I contact the realtor.

Interesting side note: one of the properties was a 5-acre foreclosure with a run-down small farmhouse and barn, about a mile away. Bank was asking $60k. Buddy made an offer of $40k, and was rejected. Less than a year later, this property sold to someone else for $14k!

Inside info, as my wife prepared the loan paper work at her CU.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #5  
Old 08-25-2019, 06:36 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 10,172
Default

Originally Posted by pplinker View post
I've looked up old foreclosed properties in the newspaper that are going to be auctioned. It is very hard to contact the bank for permission though, because it is just very hard to get through to them or make them understand what you're talking about. ....
These are words of wisdom. I have worked for very large corporations before, and ... you're right : An odd-ball request such as this will languish in the perpetual limbo of desks that it's passed-to. Or they pass the "pressing request" on to desks of legal-beavers. Who ... of course ......... pass out the easy answer

Meanwhile, they're 1000 miles away and wouldn't have cared less or noticed or thought about it.
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #6  
Old 08-28-2019, 03:35 PM
Fieryafterburnr Fieryafterburnr is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 19
Default

I'm asking cause I have been trying to get a permission for an 1898 house right in my neighborhood. The house is falling apart and the real estate company just wants to sell the land. Left a message with the agent twice and never received a call back. Also, called the real estate company general number and got through to someone and was told which agent manages the property (which I already knew). Today I called an agent in regards to another property and the agent was kind of rude to me. Pretty frustrating. I'm at a point where I'm still pretty scared about door knocking...

__________________
Metal Detecting | Amateur Radio | Model Aviation | Full Scale Aviation | Cycling | Model Rocketry

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 08-28-2019, 03:47 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 10,172
Default

Originally Posted by Fieryafterburnr View post
.... Left a message with the agent twice and never received a call back. Also, called the real estate company general number and got through to someone and was told which agent manages the property (which I already knew). Today I called an agent in regards to another property and the agent was kind of rude to me. Pretty frustrating......
Here's a thought : Call any shopping center management Co (the type that overseas scores of malls and shopping centers in several states) and ask:

"Can I walk through your shopping center parking lot, heel-to-toe, and whistle dixie ?" I'll bet you get the same non-answers and/or rude replies.

Heck, go to any city hall, and ask permission to walk heel-to-toe and whistle dixie while walking down a public sidewalk. I'll bet you either get no reply, or get told you need a parade permit, blah blah.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #8  
Old 08-28-2019, 03:52 PM
pplinker pplinker is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: WV
Posts: 516
Default

Call the realtor back and ask them to call you back and let you know if it's not okay to metal detect on the property.

__________________
Penny from WV. I'm a wife, mother and grandmother. Gods blessings to all and happy hunting!

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 08-29-2019, 03:07 PM
diggin4clad's Avatar
diggin4clad diggin4clad is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 2,857
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Here's a thought : Call any shopping center management Co (the type that overseas scores of malls and shopping centers in several states) and ask:

"Can I walk through your shopping center parking lot, heel-to-toe, and whistle dixie ?" I'll bet you get the same non-answers and/or rude replies.

Heck, go to any city hall, and ask permission to walk heel-to-toe and whistle dixie while walking down a public sidewalk. I'll bet you either get no reply, or get told you need a parade permit, blah blah.
OH ! NO!....another possible never ending debate

__________________
Garrett ATPro Garrett Ace 400 White's Digmaster Garrett Pro Pointer

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 08-29-2019, 04:24 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 10,172
Default

Originally Posted by diggin4clad View post
OH ! NO!....another possible never ending debate
Nope. No debate about that. You will indeed get no answer from the shopping center or city-who-administers the sidewalks. Or .... get rude replies. Or odd-ball answers about needing a parade permit. No debate at all.
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 08-29-2019, 08:35 PM
diggin4clad's Avatar
diggin4clad diggin4clad is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 2,857
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Nope. No debate about that. You will indeed get no answer from the shopping center or city-who-administers the sidewalks. Or .... get rude replies. Or odd-ball answers about needing a parade permit. No debate at all.
I was referring to a debate from the "permission seekers"

__________________
Garrett ATPro Garrett Ace 400 White's Digmaster Garrett Pro Pointer

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 08-29-2019, 08:40 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 10,172
Default

Originally Posted by diggin4clad View post
I was referring to a debate from the "permission seekers"
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 08-30-2019, 01:10 AM
CarsonChris CarsonChris is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 798
Default

Originally Posted by Fieryafterburnr View post
I'm asking cause I have been trying to get a permission for an 1898 house right in my neighborhood. The house is falling apart and the real estate company just wants to sell the land. Left a message with the agent twice and never received a call back. Also, called the real estate company general number and got through to someone and was told which agent manages the property (which I already knew). Today I called an agent in regards to another property and the agent was kind of rude to me. Pretty frustrating. I'm at a point where I'm still pretty scared about door knocking...
Take the detector and if anybody asks tell them your thinking about buying depending on what you find.
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #14  
Old 08-30-2019, 02:47 AM
Nerdling Nerdling is online now
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Gresham, Oregon
Posts: 23
Default

Originally Posted by CarsonChris View post
Take the detector and if anybody asks tell them your thinking about buying depending on what you find.
Or wear an orange safety vest and hard hat. If asked just say you are locating utilities.

__________________
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Quantum II, Whites TRX Pinpointer.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #15  
Old 08-30-2019, 01:18 PM
Silver_Seeker's Avatar
Silver_Seeker Silver_Seeker is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,162
Default

Originally Posted by Nerdling View post
Or wear an orange safety vest and hard hat. If asked just say you are locating utilities.
You won't be asked, the orange vest works wonders!

No one will ask, let them assume whatever they want.

__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Instagram @diggingri

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #16  
Old 08-30-2019, 01:48 PM
Scooterjim's Avatar
Scooterjim Scooterjim is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, Mo.
Posts: 924
Default

Springfield occasionally puts condemned homes up for auction, I called and asked if I could go on the properties and take some measurements and "stuff". They said it would be alright. Most of the properties where to trashy to be any fun. I still hit them and any other city/county owned property that's not fenced or posted. I have hit some foreclosed properties without permission, but only the burned out, run down places where the neighbors are happy to see an old man detecting instead of bums shooting heroin.

We have a slumlord with 500 properties that where part of a bankruptcy when his girlfriend shot him back in January, He's been in a coma ever since the banks and courts are still trying to figure it out. A couple of them are old route 66 motels that are slummy weekly rentals now but I know there is treasure under all that trash. several big old grand homes that have been divided into apartments, and a bunch of small houses. I have decided they are all open unless someones living there. If anyone asks my plan is to tell them I do have permission, just ask Chris as soon as he wakes up.
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #17  
Old 09-06-2019, 02:19 AM
Diggum's Avatar
Diggum Diggum is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,571
Default

I've tried to get permission to property via realtors before (active properties, though, not foreclosures), and never had any success. I wish you luck!

__________________
Nox / Deus / AT Pro / CZ-21 Best find: Kraft Cheese printing plate. Oldest coin: 1524 4-Kreuzer || YTD Au: 0 || YTD 925: 2 || YTD Ag: 7 || YTD Clad: $76.67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Learn, share, teach!

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 09-09-2019, 11:45 AM
Silver_Seeker's Avatar
Silver_Seeker Silver_Seeker is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,162
Default

"If anyone asks my plan is to tell them I do have permission, just ask Chris as soon as he wakes up."

The ultimate loophole!

"Yeah, I talked to the owner Chris back in early January, he said 'no problem, have fun.'"

Let them figure that one out!

__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Instagram @diggingri

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #19  
Old 09-09-2019, 12:21 PM
ToySoldier's Avatar
ToySoldier ToySoldier is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 990
Default

I've never had success with approaching home sellers and the reason around here is pretty obvious. Houses sell pretty quick and are likely to have people driving by or buyers agents stopping in at all hours. I wouldn't be happy with my real estate agent if I found out she gave permission to somebody to detect while all of that is going on.

I did try to use the "Did you lose any jewelry while you were living here?" angle instead, but that didn't work either. Instead, I'll just wait for the house to sell, and then approach the new owners.

You're mileage may vary. In particular, it might be different for homes in markets that sit for months and even years.

__________________
------
2019: 35 Silver Coins; 218 Wheats; 7 Indian Heads; 10 Buffalo Nickels; 2 Liberty V Nickels; 4 Silver Rings; 1 Gold Ring; 2 silver other; 4 Tokens; $86.06
Minelab Equinox 800; Garrett AT Pro & AT Pinpointer

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.