How to clean red wheats to look there best

BC Buck

My soils in STL must be tough on coppers. Everything comes out of ground looking red. Soap water, toothbrush and not able to see much. Take to work and run through ultrasonic tank (ph1 for food grade) and under high magnification look like red barnacles on surface. Tried scraping, polishing, and tumbling in reloading tumbler using cob with poor results. Not barnacle but eroded copper surface. What technique do you guys use to clean red Penney?

Could try electrolysis, alot threads on here for setting up a zap tank. May be worth a shot.

My soils in STL must be tough on coppers. Everything comes out of ground looking red. Soap water, toothbrush and not able to see much. Take to work and run through ultrasonic tank (ph1 for food grade) and under high magnification look like red barnacles on surface. Tried scraping, polishing, and tumbling in reloading tumbler using cob with poor results. Not barnacle but eroded copper surface. What technique do you guys use to clean red Penney?

When they're as you described, there isn't much I've ever been able to do. There's no pretty green or brown patina hiding under all of that corrosion. Just bare metal. Whatever you do to get down to it is going to lose most of the details.

Sometimes all you can do is clean them with a toothpick or wooden skewer and soft dry toothbrush. If you rinse off the remaining dirt it can look worse. That remaining dirt in the edges, nooks and crannies provides contrast and can actually help you see details.

Yep. Some old pennies will just never look good at all. Sad but true. For wheats, my current method is: let them dry, then scrub off as much dirt & corrosion as you can with a sharp toothpick, then tumble in dry walnut shell media. After an hour or so of tumbling, I pull out the ones that look done enough, and tumble the rest longer. Many end up in poor condition, but still "at their best". Some turn out very nice looking "at their best".

I suspect you are trying to clean up modern zinc pennies that have started corroding. Not going to happen. I clean them up as best as possible by tumbling them and then I take them and run them thru the coin counter at my credit union. If the get rejected three times I throw them in the trash. Zinc from the salt water beaches are even worse than what get dug from dirt.

Back
Top Bottom